Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Carry a spare for road trip?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you had a spare tire, would you carry it?

I have a full size rim and tire that I took off my car. I'm going to make a trip to San Antonio later this week coming from Dallas.

I always carry a compressor and a nail repair kit.

Spare will fit in the frunk but there is no tools to actually change the tire. okay - I can bring a breaker bar. But I don't have a jack - lightweight scissor jack won't lift a 3 ton car so I need to bring my hydraulic jack (probably 75lbs).

I could always call roadside and have them change it and they bring the tools - then you have to wait for them.

So - what would you do? Bring nothing, just the spare or spare and tools?

I carry a tire patch kit, pliers, and a tire inflator in my car at all times. I don't carry a car jack. Mostly you don't need to jack the car up to patch the tire. Also a jump starter just in case the 12v acts up on the road.
On a long trip, I carry a spare 19". (I have 19" on my car). I also carry a 2.5 ton jack.

Reactions: Manzacoty
I bought a 1.5 ton jack for emergencies. Its not a 3 ton car, its only 2.5 tons. You're not even lifting half the car, so a 1.5 Ton jack is fine.
I'd never use it in the garage or anything, but to have for an emergency its fine. And it shouldn't need to be said, but I'd never get underneath the car while its on the jack.
This. My 1.5 ton scissor jack works fine for lifting a corner of the car:

26212166991_c13bf4cff3_z.jpg

Amazon.com: Torin T10152 Scissor Jack - 1.5 Ton: Automotive

It doesn't weigh very much and doesn't take up much space. The hockey puck is helpful to fit the jack to the car lift pads. I only carry the spare tire on long road trips, especially in remote areas where cell phone or tire repair service might be a problem.

Last edited: