TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Carry a spare for road trip?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Manzacoty, Feb 27, 2017.

1. Manzacoty

Manzacoty Member

If you had a spare tire, would you carry it?

I have a full size rim and tire that I took off my car. I'm going to make a trip to San Antonio later this week coming from Dallas.

I always carry a compressor and a nail repair kit.

Spare will fit in the frunk but there is no tools to actually change the tire. okay - I can bring a breaker bar. But I don't have a jack - lightweight scissor jack won't lift a 3 ton car so I need to bring my hydraulic jack (probably 75lbs).

I could always call roadside and have them change it and they bring the tools - then you have to wait for them.

So - what would you do? Bring nothing, just the spare or spare and tools?

2. Sir Guacamolaf

Sir Guacamolaf The good kind of fat

I carry a tire patch kit, pliers, and a tire inflator in my car at all times. I don't carry a car jack. Mostly you don't need to jack the car up to patch the tire. Also a jump starter just in case the 12v acts up on the road.
    On a long trip, I carry a spare 19". (I have 19" on my car). I also carry a 2.5 ton jack.

• Like x 1
  3. jaguar36

jaguar36 Active Member

I bought a 1.5 ton jack for emergencies. Its not a 3 ton car, its only 2.5 tons. You're not even lifting half the car, so a 1.5 Ton jack is fine.
    I'd never use it in the garage or anything, but to have for an emergency its fine. And it shouldn't need to be said, but I'd never get underneath the car while its on the jack.

• Like x 2
  4. 4dme

4dme Member

I carry a BMW X5 space saver wheel in the frunk with a breaker bar and a low profile bottle jack that has a 5 tonne capacity. Much more self sufficient than some gunk, and much more peace of mind for long trips.

• Like x 1
  5. dgpcolorado

dgpcolorado high altitude member

#5 dgpcolorado, Feb 27, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
    This. My 1.5 ton scissor jack works fine for lifting a corner of the car:

[​IMG]

Amazon.com: Torin T10152 Scissor Jack - 1.5 Ton: Automotive

It doesn't weigh very much and doesn't take up much space. The hockey puck is helpful to fit the jack to the car lift pads. I only carry the spare tire on long road trips, especially in remote areas where cell phone or tire repair service might be a problem.

6. TexLaw

TexLaw Member

I wouldn't mess with it, since you're going to be going only about 300 miles and all on I-35. If you were heading off into BFE, maybe, but not on a major interstate through cities.