Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Carry an extra tire for roadtrip?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Always have spare, plugs, elec inflator, and bicycle pump. I once had a flat 200 feet from my house.
20210720_103253.jpg

Reactions: ColoradoMike
Heading to Austin. I still have my winter tires on the car. I have the summer tires off the car. Anyone through one in the back just incase? Sounds like over preparing but I got a flat in a parking lot with my Y and it was an all day affair to find a tire and get it swapped. Figured this way at least any tire place can swap one out.

Thoughts?
My first cross country trip I took a full size tire on a spare 18" wheel. Took alum jack with me and tire changing items.
Did one other trip and getting reading to do another in June. Did not take spare and not planning to on next trip. Plug kit, inflator, 1/2" impact, Alum jack, in back.

The good news is that modern tires are much, much better than what your dad and granddad rolled around on. They are far more resistant to puncture.

The bad news is that, good as they are, they are certainly not immune to puncture. Drive enough miles and you will get a flat. When that day comes, it will either be a minor inconvenience lasting about 15 minutes. Or else it will be a painful saga that you'll likely never forget.

Neither choice is right or wrong. But make no mistake... it is a choice.

Is this sturdy? I have been thinking of putting my spare tire like this, but I wasn't sure if this will be a hazard in the case of an accident or it will put too much stress on the frame...
Seems sturdy enough. I have no worries that the wheel could escape the trunk in an accident. I have a thread here somewhere about the installation. Attachment points are all metal.