Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Carry an extra tire for roadtrip?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Heading to Austin. I still have my winter tires on the car. I have the summer tires off the car. Anyone through one in the back just incase? Sounds like over preparing but I got a flat in a parking lot with my Y and it was an all day affair to find a tire and get it swapped. Figured this way at least any tire place can swap one out.

Thoughts?

Heading to Austin. I still have my winter tires on the car. I have the summer tires off the car. Anyone through one in the back just incase? Sounds like over preparing but I got a flat in a parking lot with my Y and it was an all day affair to find a tire and get it swapped. Figured this way at least any tire place can swap one out.

Thoughts?
That’s throw lol….

• Funny
Reactions: Teleezen
If you've got the space I figure it wouldn't hurt. You'll need a jack and wrench too.

Some huge number of flat tires are just from punctures, though. You could carry a tire plug kit and a compressor much easier than you can carry a spare. I have a little cheap 12vDC compressor that I toss in the frunk with other recovery items (and window cleaner!).

I've driven up and down the east coast and across to Colorado with no problems. The only place I get flats is within 5 miles of home :D

That's in my Model Y. I've driven all over the US in previous cars, also no flats outside of my home area. Only once did the tire need to be replaced. Probably 20+ plugs in tires, including the Model Y. That one was within the first week of ownership. I had another one like that on a sports car with $600+ tires and got a puncture the day after the new tires were fitted. Un-#^$%ing-believable.

Preparing for a trip from Pittsburgh to San Antonio, just grabbed a $20 plug kit from Amazon and will take my lithium ion tire inflator (also has a 12v plug if needed). Planning on stealing the scissor jack from my wifes car and throwing a couple of small pieces of wood in as well since my car is so low.

2E327AFB-037B-4790-A6D0-9AAADEF0C199.jpeg

Last edited:
The rule of thumb is if you bring a spare, you won't need it; and if you don't, you'll regret it.

Like Observer, above, I too carried a Genesis 18" compact spare with jack, torque wrench, breaker bar, plug kit, pump, when I went on a 4400 mile trip from Maine to Colorado and back last Summer. I thankfully never needed it.

Reactions: PACEMD
@KenC So this fall IF we get our Model 3, we will be doing the route from Denver to Freeport Maine.

Does the Tesla even have a jack? I supposed I missed this when we ordered ours a couple weeks ago.
Ha, if they're not giving you a spare, they're not going to give you a jack. Lots of owners have picked up a Porsche jack, in a foam donut, on eBay, from a seller called specializedgerman. The nipple on the jack is oval, which won't fit the Tesla, but just use a file to shave it down to a round nub.

Reactions: ColoradoMike
I guess.....a spare would be a good call! To be honest, I have never had to use a spare on any vehicle over 4 decades. The one time I had to is when I blew a tire on my 996TT coming home from the track and it was a livesaver! So now that I know this, what is a good option for long trips as mentioned above. Links appreciated!

I do have the plug kit with a compressor. I did throw the tire in the back. I know I won’t need it now lol. On the road I contemplated what would happen. I have the snow tires off the Porsche Alpin PA4s. I know I won’t find them on the road at a local shop. I imagine the car won’t be happy with a swap of I had to. But it beats sitting In a hotel waiting for a tire or worse yet, buying 4 so they match.