Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Carrying bikes on roof

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Your base rack choices are:

https://shop.tesla.com/product/model-3-roof-rack (crossbar is aero bar with T-slot)

Yakima Infolookup (photos at the bottom of the page) (3 crossbar options: aero bar with T-slot, aero bar without T-slot, round bar)

Various bicycle carriers can be added to either. Some require T-slot crossbars, but many are clamp-on that do not require T-slot crossbars.

In terms of aerodynamic drag and hence electricity consumption, no rack < base rack* < base rack* with empty bicycle carrier < base rack with bicycle carrier with bicycle on it.

*Base rack with aero bars will have less penalty than base rack with non-aero bars.

One note for the Yakima setup: the spacing between the towers for the rear crossbar (M3 measurement) may be incorrect (too narrow) on that web page. Check carefully and adjust as needed to keep the tower pads off the roof glass (as shown in the photos) when installing.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: KenC
Upvote 0
With the mountain bikes on the car how fast does the battery drain ?
What you’re really asking is “what is the efficiency impact of driving with a bike on the roof?”

For reference, I drove 170mi round trip with a Transition Patrol on my roof, in July in WA state, and averaged 282Wh/mi (see the accompanying post in the EV Adventuring FB group). You can then compare that to the rated efficiency of the car and determine the size of the impact on range. If the rated efficiency is 250Wh/mi, then 282Wh/mi is about a 13% hit. Assuming nothing else (speed, tires, aero caps, etc) were a factor.

There are also some trip reports here.

Anecdotally, how far do you need to go with a bike on the roof before charging - more than 150 miles? If not, then does it really matter?

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
Upvote 0
I'm wondering if anyone has any data with the fork stem (front tire removed) roof bike racks? are they as efficient as a hitch rack (with say.. 2 bikes)? i'd rather not get a hitch rack cause of the charging and it being in the way of cargo, etc but i need to make 200 mi legs without charging

Upvote 0