Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Carrying Skis/Snowboards Model X, 6 seater

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can you share your experience with carrying ski equipment in a Model X.

We have 2 pairs of skis 170cm, 160 cm and 2 snowboards 155cm
I was thinking of getting a hitch cargo carrier + a cargo box/bag.

We will have between 4 people for most over night trips and 5 or 6 people for 1 or 2 trips this season.

thanks

We have chucked a few sets of skis wrapped in towels and 6 people into a 6 seater X with a stowaway box on the back for poles, boots, and kids skis in the past. It works but isn't fantastic.
I would rather put skis on the hitch and boots in the frunk I suspect. I wish the stowaway box had a ski attachment.

Can you share your experience with carrying ski equipment in a Model X.

We have 2 pairs of skis 170cm, 160 cm and 2 snowboards 155cm
I was thinking of getting a hitch cargo carrier + a cargo box/bag.

We will have between 4 people for most over night trips and 5 or 6 people for 1 or 2 trips this season.

thanks

I used to squeeze 4 people and all their gear, board, boots, bindings, 3-4 days/nights worth of clothes all inside a Subaru Legacy sedan. The X is a piece of cake in comparison.

I have a dakine board bag that I squeeze 3 boards - 155, 158, 165. 2 bindings, a pair of boots and enough gear for a weeks stay. I slide it right down the middle and I can carry 4. I rest the front part of the bag on the center console. If I need to carry 5, I ditch the bag. I wrap my boards in a moving blanket to protect the edge. Long story short, it carries it fine; but boy would a 7 seater fold down be much easier.

6 is brave, haven't tried it yet. But if I had to, I might use the underseat space to hold boards/skis.

Reactions: ShareLofty
I would go down the hitch mounted ski/board carrier route. I use a hitch mounted bike rack regularly and that doesn't seem to affect range significantly (air is already detached anyway behind the car). I would personally be very reluctant to mount anything on the rear glass, you would be surprised how much lift these things can generate and it would certainly affect the aerodynamics up there. I once had a whole roof bar setup rip clean off the top at 75 mph (not a Tesla). Never again without proper roof rails!

Reactions: ShareLofty
I have 2 ways of transporting snowboards. The first is when the whole family is going on a multi-day trip. I have a tray attached to the hitch with a weather-proof bag on top.
tA3kw9y.jpg

The second is for shorter trips, or when it's only me and my wife. It's a custom Snowboard-Bin I designed and had built out of plexiglass. I left the protective wrap on so that it would show up better in the photos.
szGzkl1.jpg

8N9kMvF.jpg

LwImeNH.jpg

In the last photo, you'll see I also had a small bench built so that the Snowboard-Bin is supported completely.