TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Carrying Tires ...

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by cwave1, Nov 20, 2013.

1. cwave1

cwave1 Member

Has anyone carried a full set of tires in their Model S?

I'm planning on picking up two sets (4 @ X-Ice winters for the MS and 4 @ 18" Blizzak tires for my wife's Acura MDX) when I'm in the US next weekend and wondered if all 8 tires would fit.

Please provide direct experiences on tires or packing of similar sized objects.

2. huntjo

huntjo Member

4 tires fit in the trunk w seats down easy. I'm not sure 8 will

3. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

The problem with carrying 4 is positioning (they tend to roll around no matter how I arrange them). 3 is easy.

I think you could fit as many as 7 in the back, and probably an additional 2 in the front if you really really tried.

4. cwave1

cwave1 Member

Does this mean that the best positioning is up on end?

5. montgom626

montgom626 Active Member

I did 4 mounted tires with ease.

6. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Agreed, 4 mounted tires is no problem... 8 rather sounds like a challenge.

7. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Can you elaborate on your positioning that avoids rolling and sliding? Thanks.

8. montgom626

montgom626 Active Member

Had them all flat on their sides.

9. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

I've absolutely no idea how much room 8 tires will take, but I do know that tire firms load their trucks in an offset back-and-forth on the diagonal basis (hard for me to explain). You might try that.

10. Zextraterrestrial

I did 2 flat on the rear seat folded down and 2 vertical in the rear with 19" staggered mounted wheels

11. JakeP

JakeP S P4996 / X P6028

I had four mounted 19s in the back with all the seats down just fine today. Two stacked under the hatch, two offset side-by-side between the rear doors. Absolutely no chance you can fit eight, but if you do, I want to see a picture for proof!

12. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

No they don't. Do not purchase radial tires from anyplace that does it that way. It will absolutely ruin radial tires. It's okay for bias-ply tires though.

13. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

Fascinating. Explanation?

14. mnx

mnx 2013 P85

Ok I'll make a bold prediction that I think 8 will fit. 2 in the passenger seat, 1 in the frunk and 1 in the rear footwell area plus the standard 4 in the back.

tires.jpg

15. nrcooled

nrcooled P#8946 VIN 03225

I've never done 8 tires but I have done 4 tires and 4 wheels and it fit fine with the rear seats down. I would suggest putting the rear seats flat and stacking 4 on top of eachother. Then 4 more in the trunk area stacked the same way. It should fit fine.

16. JakeP

JakeP S P4996 / X P6028

I will be happy to be proven wrong on this one...where there's a will, there's a way!! I could not fit a 19" in the frunk, but he has a fighting chance with an 18" wheel...that could make all the difference!

I also have the rear facing seats, so my footwell is taken when the rears are folded flat...ah, the possibilities. Tetris with big circles!

17. Park2670

Park2670 Member

If I can fit four snow tires in a Z4M coupe, you can fit eight in a Model S.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      54.2 KB
      Views:
  18. wycolo

wycolo Active Member

Sheesh, profiles in vehicle/driver abuse!! Get yourself a little 4x6 tilt bed trailer that weighs only 250 pounds and cost $399-. Then you have an excuse to get that MS trailer hitch you always wanted. Perfect for hauling filthy rims/tire sets, garbage/recycling, shopping for large items, etc. Drive atv/lawnmower right up. Learn a few rope knots to tie everything down tight. No MS will be harmed in the process.

trailer-4x6-tilt.bed.jpg

So lightweight you and a helper can lean it up against a garage wall to save space.
    --

19. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

@wycolo - How do you attach this device to your Model S without potentially voiding the warranty?

20. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

There are dozens, if not hundreds, of people who have attached a trailer to Prius (there's an entire newsgroup dedicated to trailer pulling) and not one of them has had warranty problems (and some of the trailers they've attached are pretty stupid for a Prius--they'd be marginal using an F150). I can't imagine Tesla would be any different.