Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Carrying Tires ...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
> @wycolo - How do you attach this device to your Model S without potentially voiding the warranty? [brianman]

(Like Jerry33 says) I say: "Dare to eat a peach, take a walk in the sun, etc". What, you lost your cred/mojo down at the Service Center??
--

There are dozens, if not hundreds, of people who have attached a trailer to Prius (there's an entire newsgroup dedicated to trailer pulling) and not one of them has had warranty problems (and some of the trailers they've attached are pretty stupid for a Prius--they'd be marginal using an F150). I can't imagine Tesla would be any different.

ms_vehicle_warranty.pdf said:
Warranty limitations
This New Vehicle Limited Warranty does not cover any vehicle damage or
malfunction directly or indirectly caused by, due to or resulting from normal
wear or deterioration, abuse, misuse, negligence, accident, lack of or
improper maintenance, operation, storage or transport, including, but not
limited to, any of the following:
  • Towing the vehicle;
  • Overloading the vehicle;

The combination of these makes it very easy for Tesla to claim "not covered" for "any vehicle damage or malfunction" from the moment you install a tow hitch and use it just once. At least that's how I read it over a year ago.

Hence my question.

The combination of these makes it very easy for Tesla to claim "not covered" for "any vehicle damage or malfunction" from the moment you install a tow hitch and use it just once. At least that's how I read it over a year ago.

Hence my question.

It doesn't say "Towing something with the Tesla", it says "Towing the vehicle" which I read as the Tesla being towed. We all know that you need a flatbed for that.

"Overloading" is pretty ambiguous, but in my mind doesn't imply towing a trailer that isn't insanely heavy.

I read that as towing the vehicle has well.

The Prius specifically says not to tow and that doesn't seem to either stop anyone or lead to any problems with the warranty. (The brakes and suspension of the Prius are about the worst I can imagine for towing.) The way car warranties in the U.S. work, the manufacturer has to prove that what you did caused the problem--assuming it ever goes to court. Now if you towed so much that you ripped out the rear frame or something they'd be well justified to deny a warranty claim, but something like a 700 lb trailer with a 25 lb tongue weight is hardly going to be noticed.

I just carried 4 21in wheels with room for 2 passengers (only half rear seat folded).

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 178
I was successful in carrying 8 wheels in the Model S.

- 1 in the frunk (tight).
- 4 vertically across the back seats down
- 1 across the back seat floor (front passenger seat needed to be moved up a bit)
- 2 flat across the back hatch area

I still had room for a hockey bag, a gym bag, a laptop, and likely could have put another wheel or two in.

The space is amazing!!!

Pictures to come.

I was successful in carrying 8 wheels in the Model S.

- 1 in the frunk (tight).
- 4 vertically across the back seats down
- 1 across the back seat floor (front passenger seat needed to be moved up a bit)
- 2 flat across the back hatch area

I still had room for a hockey bag, a gym bag, a laptop, and likely could have put another wheel or two in.

The space is amazing!!!

Here are the pictures. Sorry for the quality. The weather was crappy so I took them in my garage.

My new MC Red S85 (delivered 11/27) with new Rial Lugano wheels and Michelin X-Ice 3 tires.
20131201_143708.jpg

One of the original 19" wheels/tires in the frunk. The cardboard is to protect the frunk light.
20131201_143841.jpg

View from the back of the vehicle. Four tires positioned vertically on the seats folded down (make sure to cover them as they can rub the roof material) and two laying flat. You will notice that there is still lots of room to the right side and the entire footwell area is unused.
NOTE: Anyone know how to get the forum to display this picture right?
20131201_143944.jpg

Finally, one tire positioned across the floor of the back seats. If I was shorter, I could probably have put another behind the driver's seat.
NOTE: Again the vertically oriented picture is displayed sideways.
20131201_144046.jpg