Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cars bounce around on display

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are cars that appear on the display as if they are playing "bumper car" the new normal with 9 software? It seems like the cameras may not be calibrated properly and as cars approach from the side lanes (passing or slowing) they "bounce" off the side of my car in the display. Is this everyone or just my car?

Happening to everyone. I don’t think it is the cameras so much as the display screen struggling to convert it correctly. The car knows what is actually going on (usually) if it saw it like the display does we would be getting constant crash warnings and noises for distance.

Reactions: Pkmmte and butlermd
Happening to everyone. I don’t think it is the cameras so much as the display screen struggling to convert it correctly. The car knows what is actually going on (usually) if it saw it like the display does we would be getting constant crash warnings and noises for distance.
Thx. Agreed it seems to be only a display glitch and it causes me no problems driving. But passengers are asking me why the cars keep bumping us :( Glad to hear I am not unique.

Remember, we are beta testers. I would expect next major release will average and smooth the appearance of neighboring vehicles. Pretty cool it can display truck, SUV, car, motorcycle and person. Anything else? Dog, bicycle or ? I expect at some time it will portray other Teslas in their actual color.

watch this, and you will see why there is jitter with the neighboring cars. I can't explain the cars drifting into the Model 3 though.

It's pretty trivial to remove the jitter from a post-processing standpoint (don't render a change in position until a larger threshold is crossed), but I suspect that Tesla is intentionally keeping the jitter for now so that drivers do not become over-reliant on the positioning.

• Informative
Reactions: P85_DA