TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Cars, Candidates, Loans, and Bailouts

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by vfx, Aug 25, 2008.

1. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

2. Kevin Harney

Kevin Harney Active Member

TM is not looking for a BAILOUT and I think they should stay as far away from that BAD publicity as possible :biggrin:

3. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Michael Moore on the Bailout
    [video]
    "They (the D3) don't have a clue"
    "GM wants 18 Billion dollars when they are worth less than 3 Billion."
    "This car thing is not working out...you need to build..."
    "We're going to own their a**"

4. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

Heh... me too. :tongue:

The way I see it, this thread is about a bailout for the auto industry in general. The other thread (http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/news-articles-events/1927-tesla-message-about-detroit-3-bailout.html) is about Tesla applying for the DOE loan and their opposition to it being turned into a bailout for the D3. A small distinction, perhaps, but different enough that I'd prefer not to merge the threads. Of course, there'll be some crosstalk, and that's fine. I guess if your post is specifically about Tesla, the other thread is probably more appropriate.

5. just-an-allusion

#67 just-an-allusion, Dec 4, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2008
    Rep. Bob Corker of Tennessee is busting their chops (I applaud this man, as well as Mr. Tester), and it seems that even now they still do not have all of the information together required to intelligently present their case to the House...still!

Perhaps none to surprisingly ("?") "Chrysler" (the only privately held automaker of the three) has not only the stronger footing in the present malaise, but also the better business plan ("Dodge EV" anyone?).

Uh oh, members of the general public are weighing in on the proceedings with chants of "A bailout is a sellout!!" They've now been removed.

6. graham

graham Active Member

Martin's Take:

Rescue Detroit Tesla Founders Blog

7. just-an-allusion

#70 just-an-allusion, Dec 4, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2008
    And so it is that they adjourn largely still unresolved.

While very anti-climatic, I am pleased that they (Congress) are not rushing headlong into some action without taking into consideration all of the factors contributing to the current sessions, i.e., they (the "Big 3") got themselves into this situation, should they actually be allowed to get themselves out?

What there seems to be some consensus over is that bankruptcy is not a viable option, at this point anyway, but nor is handing the automakers a blank check, and especially not forcing a large part of the labor force into unemployment.

Time will tell.

8. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

I wouldn't say the Volt is in passing and Ford seemed to make a big deal in their recent statement. Perhaps Chrysler have just gone about this in a smart way...

9. graham

graham Active Member

Darryl Siry's take:

Horseless Age: Rethink State Franchise Laws in Bailout

10. just-an-allusion

Which goes far in explaining why the automakers have procrastinated about doing something to salvage their long-failing stake in the industry (this fiasco didn't just happen overnight), i.e., they've been waiting for a number of the dealers to go "out of business" so that they (the "Big 3") wouldn't be saddled with the financial burden of "buying them out"...cynical I know, but it's just that this whole scenario seems, what's the word, "premeditated", to me.

11. just-an-allusion

Yes, it does appear that Chrysler is more so inclined to develop and deploy an entire fleet of EV's, whereas those of GM/Ford are merely "token" offerings (the dangling carrot) to secure the loan(s)/bailout so that they can then continue on their course of providing a viable medium (petroleum fueled vehicles) for the oil companies (which they seem to have some stake in as well) by concentrating only on developing new methods to increase fuel economy.

12. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

Interesting Martin talks about programs for better mileage but not specifically battery electrics.

OK. From Ford November sales down 30.6 percent - Business First of Louisville: we can see that Ford have sold circa 2m cars this year to date. I'll assume the other two have sold the same. Tesla have 1,200 sales.

So 6,000,000 / 1,200 = 5,000.

$25bn / 5,000 means Tesla's share would be $5m.

13. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

14. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

15. graham

graham Active Member

Thunderdome!