Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cars,drivers that consistently (and foolishly) want to challenge the Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2 weeks of ownership and I've already had 3 separate AMG Mercedes try and race me. I'm not big on MBZ so Im sketchy on some details, however one was the new CLA AMG (4 cyl? Really Mercedes?), a S series (forget what kind , had the Biturbo V8 badges tho), and one of the newer AMG MLS 63 SUVs... once again twin turbo V8, however this one sounded the best by far. In all 3 cases I had a 3 year old in the car so no go. Heh, I don't even own a P85/90D... it's just a regular old 85D!
I have one of those Gl63s. It's what I replaced with my Tesla. It's a beast, but the turbo lag is really annoying. I love the "oh, so smooth" acceleration of the Tesla. But the most annoying drivers I find after many years and several different cities on different continents are always BMW drivers. My kids are not allowed BMWs... or Kias - they are driven by crazy people who seem to have nothing to lose!

From what I have seen and read. with top tier cars or decently modded ones. the teslas only take well at launch. going about 55 on freeway to 85-90 is hit or miss depending. or am I wrong. highway launches just as sick?

From what I have seen and read. with top tier cars or decently modded ones. the teslas only take well at launch. going about 55 on freeway to 85-90 is hit or miss depending. or am I wrong. highway launches just as sick?

The Model S isn't going to win any freeway races against any Supercars, if that's what you're getting at. Keep in mind the P85/90D only traps at ~115MPH whilst still managing lowish-mid 11 second runs in the 1320.

@JenniferQ LMAO! I completely agree about the BMWs, however I don't pay enough attention to Kias to notice.

The Model S isn't going to win any freeway races against any Supercars, if that's what you're getting at. Keep in mind the P85/90D only traps at ~115MPH whilst still managing lowish-mid 11 second runs in the 1320.

@JenniferQ LMAO! I completely agree about the BMWs, however I don't pay enough attention to Kias to notice.
Haha! I guess I have lived too close to too many universities. Those Kia drivers are wacko!

I'm in Milwaukee.... Land of Muscle Cars and Harley's..... And we have plenty of Ricers...... This is almost daily occurrence....

My favorite one.... I was testing out my tow hitch. The one and only time I've done a long distance tow, well over a year ago. It was my small utility trailer, and I was delivering a Non-Nimber Task of a whole house generator.
Just pulled out of the Madison, WI Supercharger. It was about 9:30 pm. Stopped at stop light. I was surrounded by a group of Ricers in Suburu;s, Civic's, and Hyundai's..... I swear the "Wings" on those cars were so big, I don't know what was keeping them from getting Lift-Off....

Anyways, back to the story.... Of course, They see a Tesla, Engine revs etc... Bla Bla Bla. Now mind you, I do have a trailer connected with a Whole House generator on it....... (No it wasn't plugged into the car). Light turns green, they floor it, I floor it.... Somehow the generator didn't break every strap and fly off... Either way, I was already a quarter mile down the road at the on-Ramp to the freeway before they were 10ft past the stop light we were at.... The pride I hurt that night..... But then again, they are ricers.... Can't have too much pride to begin with...

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and I second/Third the sentiment about the BMW Drivers. I stopped keeping track, but it was BMW Drivers (Almost any model), Chrysler 300's, Dodge Chargers, Mustangs (Any), and I'm going to lump the Diesel pickup's with dual stacks together in this one.... But I will admit, those diesels were un-naturally quick...

As a middle-aged man presently driving a minivan (awaiting 70D delivery any day now) I would never challenge a Tesla. I bet those who do are car lovers who just want to see what it can do.

That's exactly what a lot of the younger drivers do. They pull up, rev an engine, and we're off. As I look in my rear view mirror it's not dejection I see. It's elation. They're all cheering at how quick the car got to speed.

My neighbor has a Maserati. Everyone asks if the two of us will race. He refuses.