Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car's electronics (touchscreen, radio, normal sounds like turn signals) going HAYWIRE

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
MileHighMotoring, I might have had a scenario similar to yours (but not as severe). I didn't make the connection to your situation until my car came back from its annual servicing with its trip meters zeroed out and I queried my service advisor about it.

I'll post more details when I get a chance, hopefully in the next day or so.

Edit: OK, here we go.

Starting around the 7.0 timeframe, I noticed where occasionally streaming music (Slacker) would get stuck in a loop on a track (kind of like a broken record but repeating an audio sample a fraction of a second long). Occasionally I've seen the map not redraw correctly, or had map times not get refreshed. I think once or twice I've heard the turn signal stutter you described. It wasn't enough to really bother me (though it annoyed the heck out of my 9-year-old son). Sometimes I'd reboot one or both screens. I'm a computer scientist turned software engineer, so that might give me a higher tolerance to this sort of problem. But at no time did the core driving functionality ever seem to get compromised.

Fast-forward to last week when I took my car in for its "annual" service at the Dublin (CA) service center. A few days after I got the car back, I noticed the trip meters were both cleared. This sucked because I (like many of us here on TMC, including you I guess) use the trip meters for power usage statistics. I sent off an email to the service advisor and he said, after some consultation with the shop foreman, that they reset the trip meters proactively because "Having large numbers in the meter has adverse effects on the MCU performance". I appreciated the intent, but I would have preferred that they ask me first before destroying the statistics, or at least save the numbers for me. I'm was (still am) a little annoyed by this.

However, it is interesting that since I got the car back, streaming audio is perfect, map tiles are refreshing correctly, and in general my interactions with the CID are a lot more pleasant. Now the car also got a software update (to 7.1(2.11.54)) during its servicing. I initially attributed the improved user experience to that software update but upon reading this thread, I wonder if maybe there was something else at work.

Now it seems really ridiculous that resetting a few counters (only a few counters, right!) would magically fix all these problems. But part of me wonders if the act of resetting the trip meters also causes some other side effects behind the scenes that might somehow fix a problem. There isn't a particular point I'm trying to make, just reporting what I've seen.

Last edited: