Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cars,faster than a model3 or performace

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For me with my stealth, over time I have gotten used to it and now I wish it would go faster. lol
I suppose in the upper range I wish it went a little faster, but as someone else said, these are probably the fastest cars there are as most others require launch control and even the S and X to get to the crazy numbers require some type of heating and other conditions to get those numbers.

I sort of miss the probability of losing, in a way. Driving the P3D is like being in God Mode everywhere.

Although I do enjoy dropping the hammer after pacing people away from a light. You give them a little bit of hope... then take it away.
This is absolutely the best thing about owning a M3P! I love racing these $200k-500k exotics and blowing their minds!

bullshit, EVERYTHING needs to go faster. Just a few days ago they blocked off the highway out here to run the ssc tuatara and break the world speed record on a public road. Freaking thing was so fast (somewhere over 300mph, they will announce official numbers in a few days) that they needed to use a jet as a chase vehicle to film it. An actual jet. And it still needs to be faster too. Don't aim so low.

Average speed was 316 mph. 301 mph in one direction, 331 mph in the opposite.

Faster? Tons. The top speed is only 162.

Quicker? That's a fair bit smaller list of generally much more expensive cars.

Few dozen quicker to 60 mph here:
List of fastest production cars by acceleration - Wikipedia

Few dozen quicker to 1/4 mile here:
List of fastest production cars by acceleration - Wikipedia

The Tesla Model S P100 is not too shabby.

Number 3 of the top 12... the Model 3P is number 43. :cool:

upload_2020-10-23_20-14-2.png

Last edited:
3P and 992 C4S owner. By any yardstick, at legal speeds, on the straights, the 3P is quicker.

Introduce bends, and for this driver (remember this when you start quoting stats at me) the 911 is way quicker. Not because of power or torque delivery. Purely because of feel. The 3 has next to no feedback and that really dents my confidence when changing direction quickly. Even with the electric steering of recent 911s (and my choice of the 4wd version) you know what’s going on underneath you. Get really moving and its “wrong” weight distribution also gives you useful messages. In the 3 it’s more remote.

But also the “feel” of a well-sorted car cornering induces warm and fuzzy feedback. 911 makes me laugh on the corners (and the lights TBH), 3P does the same at the lights. Maybe the roadster will do both?

And of course I know there’s a price difference, a utility difference and a fuel economy difference. Just adding a different perspective on speed from a European standpoint where drag strips are rare.

3P and 992 C4S owner. By any yardstick, at legal speeds, on the straights, the 3P is quicker.

Introduce bends, and for this driver (remember this when you start quoting stats at me) the 911 is way quicker. Not because of power or torque delivery. Purely because of feel. The 3 has next to no feedback and that really dents my confidence when changing direction quickly. Even with the electric steering of recent 911s (and my choice of the 4wd version) you know what’s going on underneath you. Get really moving and its “wrong” weight distribution also gives you useful messages. In the 3 it’s more remote.

But also the “feel” of a well-sorted car cornering induces warm and fuzzy feedback. 911 makes me laugh on the corners (and the lights TBH), 3P does the same at the lights. Maybe the roadster will do both?

And of course I know there’s a price difference, a utility difference and a fuel economy difference. Just adding a different perspective on speed from a European standpoint where drag strips are rare.

I think a lot of that is simply seat time. I imagine you’ve spent more time in the 992 (and probably other 911s before it?) driving in the twisties....and you’re more used to how that car reacts. You trust it more (even though the engine is in the wrong place...lol).

Not taking anything away from the 911. By anyone’s count...it’s a fast car. I had a 981 Cayman S that I recently sold and despite its power advantage, I’m 98% sure that I would have put down faster laps in my 350Z because I was way more familiar with its handling dynamics and what it was capable of.

I think a lot of that is simply seat time. I imagine you’ve spent more time in the 992 (and probably other 911s before it?) driving in the twisties....and you’re more used to how that car reacts. You trust it more (even though the engine is in the wrong place...lol).

Not taking anything away from the 911. By anyone’s count...it’s a fast car. I had a 981 Cayman S that I recently sold and despite its power advantage, I’m 98% sure that I would have put down faster laps in my 350Z because I was way more familiar with its handling dynamics and what it was capable of.

Fair points, although I only got the 911 in June :). I wrote my will, as a lot of us of a certain age (51 next Sunday) did earlier this year, I imagine, and realised there were a few boxes I wanted to tick before the executors get their hands on my stuff! So before the ink was dry I bought my dream car off the lot (well, one of my dream cars). It's definitely not disappointed me one bit! It immediately feels "right", from the weight and response of the controls to the view out. The gearbox (PDK) is psychic. The fuel economy is not destroying me.

But before I get booted off the forum - I really miss my 3. I'm on a different continent to it at the moment, due to COVID and the dawdling Canadian immigration department. I miss the immediacy and the effortlessness, along with the stealthiness of it. Even with the latest particulate filters, there's no way the 911 is quiet. I especially miss walking out to a car that is always fully fuelled up and ready to go, however far I drove it the previous day. And yes, I do miss the insane getaways. But I like lateral G as well as longitudinal and my senses tell me the 911 can deliver more of them. Would be interesting to hear what a skidpan says, though.

Fair points, although I only got the 911 in June :). I wrote my will, as a lot of us of a certain age (51 next Sunday) did earlier this year, I imagine, and realised there were a few boxes I wanted to tick before the executors get their hands on my stuff! So before the ink was dry I bought my dream car off the lot (well, one of my dream cars). It's definitely not disappointed me one bit! It immediately feels "right", from the weight and response of the controls to the view out. The gearbox (PDK) is psychic. The fuel economy is not destroying me.

But before I get booted off the forum - I really miss my 3. I'm on a different continent to it at the moment, due to COVID and the dawdling Canadian immigration department. I miss the immediacy and the effortlessness, along with the stealthiness of it. Even with the latest particulate filters, there's no way the 911 is quiet. I especially miss walking out to a car that is always fully fuelled up and ready to go, however far I drove it the previous day. And yes, I do miss the insane getaways. But I like lateral G as well as longitudinal and my senses tell me the 911 can deliver more of them. Would be interesting to hear what a skidpan says, though.

I’ve heard some first hand accounts of what the M3P can do on a track and it’s really quite impressive. Granted the cars in question were not stock....but still street cars. The times the M3P put down were quite fast....Corvette/911 territory for sure. I bet if you got some more seat time in your Tesla in the curves you’d get more comfortable with it and start to trust it.

That knowledge is what made me look at Tesla in the first place. The desire to try something different drove me to order one. But Porsche makes one heck of a car. I loved driving my Cayman S. It was just so sharp in a turn. Ultimately there was some other factors that forced my hand with it and it had to go.

Reactions: RobRain

No need to apologize. The 911 would crush the Model 3 around the track. Its a faaaar faster car in the twisties and its not even remotely close. I've driven the 911 and currently have a Model 3 Performance. The Model 3 suspension has a lot to be desired for in terms of track use. Its decent but nowhere near as satisfying as a 911 in the turns. There is also a thousand pound difference between the cars...thats quite a bit of weight difference :D

No need to apologize. The 911 would crush the Model 3 around the track. Its a faaaar faster car in the twisties and its not even remotely close. I've driven the 911 and currently have a Model 3 Performance. The Model 3 suspension has a lot to be desired for in terms of track use. Its decent but nowhere near as satisfying as a 911 in the turns. There is also a thousand pound difference between the cars...thats quite a bit of weight difference :D

It depends on the track... I like to drive both at speed. YMMV. :cool:

Have you modified your 3 yet?

I enjoy the tailgating they do after especially bmws..my favs

Lol To relate I have a nice video from sentry cam of this exact thing. BMW revs up at the line and I actually waited until he started to move before even my SR+ went past easy. The guy and I will not embarrass him with it decides to tailgate me with a foot clearance and then darts in front cutting off the lane over the line at traffic lights while everyone was slowing. Let him in front on green and then proceeds to break check me through 2 sets of lights. Self inflicted rage is not a good thing but it is the nuttiest moment I have seen in a Tesla rub someone up the wrong way haha. Me and my partner were laughing a lot at it. Its always BMW drivers just from my experience.

Reactions: Callawayc7
Have you modified your 3 yet?
Nope and I don’t tend to modify my cars. I know plenty of people love to upgrade, but it’s never been my way. My RC car habit is a different matter! Buy cheap, mod the thing stealthily to hell and annoy my fellow racers! (Just family and friends, not league)

As a hypothetical, if I modded my 3 to be as good around the curves as the 911, why wouldn’t I then just upgrade the 911’s suspension to overtake it again? Arms race. I’d rather save for a 918 (ha, now there’s a dream car!). Or more realistically save for a Roadster/Son of Taycan. In the meantime just enjoy the good stuff that the 3 and 911 already give me.

Last edited: