Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cars goes offline and not available from app

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have my range mode set to off and always connected turned on, however if I walk away from the car and it's locked and connected to my home charger it immediately is no longer available in the app / TeslaFi.

When I approach it and it unlocks it immediately works again.
Is that normal / expected or am I missing something?

In TeslaFi it shows up as
"API Error - Data Request Timeout"

It sounds like it is losing internet connectivity. Is your car shifting over to wifi in your garage or still on cellular. Many cars lose cellular in the garage once the door is closed, with no wifi, your car may be "going offline"...

It's worth plugging your car in, closing the garage door and then look at your signal strength and see if you can reach some web sites in the browser. If you can't you've found the problem.

I know some owners have put a wifi repeater in or near the garage to address this issue.

It sounds like it is losing internet connectivity. Is your car shifting over to wifi in your garage or still on cellular. Many cars lose cellular in the garage once the door is closed, with no wifi, your car may be "going offline"...

It's worth plugging your car in, closing the garage door and then look at your signal strength and see if you can reach some web sites in the browser. If you can't you've found the problem.

I know some owners have put a wifi repeater in or near the garage to address this issue.
Yeah it seems like it was some weird state with my wifi setup as it was working on other devices in my house just not the car, and I think when I unlocked the car it forced the car to use cellular data instead.

Will probably install a repeater close by.