TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Cars on display and for demo drives in the stores

Discussion in 'Model S' started by PeterB, Oct 12, 2012.

1. PeterB

PeterB Member

After running down to Portland last weekend to test drive a sycamore brown car I thought it would be helpful to put together a list of all the cars on display.

I've created the following public spreadsheet, please check it out and update whatever you know about the store(s) near you.

Welcome to Google Docs

2. Brandonm

Brandonm Member

I'm somehow not understanding how to edit, so I'll just comment:

Belleve Square Demo is a solid top with Tan interior. I got an email from Kanav at the Bellevue store last week that they now had a Green Performance Model S for test drives, but I haven't been over to verify yet.

3. PeterB

PeterB Member

Sorry, I had the permissions set wrong, should be able to edit now.

4. kevincwelch

kevincwelch Active Member

I filled in the data as best as I know if for the two Illinois stores. I will be test driving the White/black model in Skokie in a few weeks. I will have some pictures and I'll record the remainder of the information. There is some incomplete data for the silver model at Oakbrook.

5. eelton

eelton Member

I drove the white car at Old Orchard this week. Although two sales reps called it pearl white, I'm 99% sure it was plain white. It was a performance model (it looks like you listed standard on the Google Docs spreadsheet--I assume this is the same car, since I thought they had only one car for test drives)

6. kevincwelch

Excellent! It should be a fun drive then. Did you change it in the spreadsheet for me?

7. dwegmull

dwegmull 2013 Model S 85

Are the demo cars limited to reservation holders or available to all interested buyers? When I test drove the Roadster, there was a non-refundable deposit of $250 if memory serves me well...
    I've been on the fence about trading in my Roadster for a Model S. I certainly want to drive one before making any significant investment...

8. kevincwelch

Hey I'm not sure about this. When I test drove in Washington DC I simply walked into the store and mentioned that I was a reservation holder. I got to test drive right on the fly. When I test drove in Oakbrook Illinois, they took my name down and looked up my reservation. When I made a reservation to test drive in Skokie Illinois, they asked specifically for my reservation number.

I'm not sure about this so maybe the practice is to offer it to reservation holders only but with my experience in Washington DC it doesn't sound like that was necessarily the case.

9. eelton

eelton Member

I have now. I wanted to make sure there wasn't something I didn't know.

10. kevincwelch

I haven't seen the demo car at Skokie yet, so thanks for updating it. How did the white with black leather look? I'm looking forward to driving it.

11. bluetinc

bluetinc Member

I can't speak to all stores but the DC store is giving test drives to non-reservation holders now. I don't believe that there is any type of deposit needed, and the 5K order deposit is 100% fully refundable.

Peter

12. kevincwelch

I updated the DC floor model, which was Brown back in September when I was there. The demo car was blue, but I understand that may have left the store.

13. HFh

HFh Member

I was there today. The floor model is brown with tan seats and the demo is green with 19" tires and black seats.

I'm test driving tomorrow just before I go catch my plane back to sunny Atlanta.

14. Raven

Raven Member

I had a test drive in the green Performance S October 7. There was a white demo with tan interior inside. The Performance model was absolutely amazing! I came in with several concerns about the S:

1. Seats look thin which led me to believe they were hard.
    -Not the case. They felt very similar to Porsche or BMW seats, IMO.
    2. Regen would be excessive and cause occupants to lunge forward if you let off accelerator completely.
    -The regen went virtually unnoticed. It was extremely smooth and natural. I've driven a Cayenne Hybrid and the regen is horrid.
    3. The performance model would have a twitchy/touchy accelerator.
    -The car actually seemed to know when I wanted to be smooth and when I wanted to mash it. Software that senses speed of movement in the pedal maybe? Either way it was great.

Maybe that didn't belong in this section, but anyone in the Seattle area should get in for the test drive. You'll fall in love with the car.

15. Brandonm

Brandonm Member

When I was in the Bellevue store a few weeks ago they said that test drives were only available for reservation holders. It may be store by store, based on demand? Not sure.

16. steve841

steve841 Active Member

All I can say is these test models are a testament to durability...

The white perf in Dania, FL has been put thru sheer hell and still looks perfect and runs like a champ.

17. loganss

loganss Spaceman

At my test drive today I asked if non-reservation holders can get a test drive and they said yes but they were favoring people who are likely to purchase. Whatever that mean is up for interpretation
    I can also confirm that the floor model is brown and the test drive car is a non-performance, no-pano roof, and latest software car. Drove awesome.

18. HFh

HFh Member

They were allowing walk-ins to test drive if they had a free slot... at least that's what they told me before they knew I was a reservation holder. Maybe I'm just charming.

BTW, I was pleasantly surprised by the tan-on-black look of the seats. I was even more surprised by how much I liked the green exterior. The green may have moved up to choice #2 (so it's now black, green, blue). Having said that, I really hated the look of the 19" tires. I'd like to see the grey tires on a dark car with all that chrome to see what I really think. I'll be in SFO in a little less than a month. Hopefully they have more cars there I can stare at while I wait and wait and wait....

Anyway, anything I should look for while test driving later today?

19. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Added to the Fashion Island store cars (not 100% complete, but what I recall and noted).

If you want to add Canadian locations, the Toronto Store (Yorkdale Mall) will be opening soon and the Demo car is a Black Performance model with Sound, Tech and body-color roof.

20. mnx

mnx 2013 P85

It'd be nice if they got one with a pano roof in Toronto, perhaps in white or dolphin grey. :)