Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car's Radio Works, but System Audio Doesn't

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recently, my Tesla Model Y's system sounds stopped working. The radio and bluetooth audio works fine, but the blinkers don't make sounds. Even the fart app stopped working inside the car, though the exterior fart works fine. Is there any way to fix this?

I'm not sure if its related, but holding down the two scroll wheels doesn't power off the car anymore either.

Restarting the touch screen - pressing and holding the scroll wheels will restart the touch screen (Note: restarting the touch screen does not shut off any other Model Y systems.)
  • Shift into Park.
  • Hold down both scroll buttons on the steering wheel until the touchscreen turns black. (Pressing the brake pedal while holding down the scroll buttons does not have any impact and is not required.)
There is also the option to power off the Tesla Model Y under the Controls > Safety > Power Off. After Powering off you can restart by pressing the brake pedal or touching the touch screen.

Note: You should try restarting the touch screen before Power Cycling the Vehicle. If after restarting the touchscreen is still unresponsive or demonstrating unusual behavior after a few minutes, try power cycling the vehicle.

Power Cycling the Vehicle
  1. Shift into Park.
  2. On the touchscreen, touch Controls > Safety > Power Off.
  3. Wait for at least two minutes without interacting with the vehicle. Do not open the doors, touch the brake pedal, touch the touchscreen, etc.
  4. After two minutes, press the brake pedal or open the door to wake the vehicle.
Model Y Owner's Manual | Tesla

Restarting the touch screen - pressing and holding the scroll wheels will restart the touch screen (Note: restarting the touch screen does not shut off any other Model Y systems.)
  • Shift into Park.
  • Hold down both scroll buttons on the steering wheel until the touchscreen turns black. (Pressing the brake pedal while holding down the scroll buttons does not have any impact and is not required.)
There is also the option to power off the Tesla Model Y under the Controls > Safety > Power Off. After Powering off you can restart by pressing the brake pedal or touching the touch screen.

Note: You should try restarting the touch screen before Power Cycling the Vehicle. If after restarting the touchscreen is still unresponsive or demonstrating unusual behavior after a few minutes, try power cycling the vehicle.

Power Cycling the Vehicle
  1. Shift into Park.
  2. On the touchscreen, touch Controls > Safety > Power Off.
  3. Wait for at least two minutes without interacting with the vehicle. Do not open the doors, touch the brake pedal, touch the touchscreen, etc.
  4. After two minutes, press the brake pedal or open the door to wake the vehicle.
Model Y Owner's Manual | Tesla
I tried both of those and neither worked.

Do you mean neither caused a restart or neither resolved your problem? If the former, you need to hold the scroll wheels for a good 20 seconds at least. It seems like forever. Also, you do not need to be in Park or stationary for the screen restart. You can do this while driving (if you want).

If the restart did not resolve your original issue, then you might want to double check the audio level by increasing the volume at the time you're attempting to use that function. It could be there are unique volume levels for each function and for some reason it's turned all the way down for those.

Although... the blinkers should always make a sound. There is no way to disable that. If the blinkers are not making any sound and a restart does not fix it, then you probably need to schedule a service.

Do you mean neither caused a restart or neither resolved your problem? If the former, you need to hold the scroll wheels for a good 20 seconds at least. It seems like forever. Also, you do not need to be in Park or stationary for the screen restart. You can do this while driving (if you want).

If the restart did not resolve your original issue, then you might want to double check the audio level by increasing the volume at the time you're attempting to use that function. It could be there are unique volume levels for each function and for some reason it's turned all the way down for those.

Although... the blinkers should always make a sound. There is no way to disable that. If the blinkers are not making any sound and a restart does not fix it, then you probably need to schedule a service.
System sounds are not under a volume control. I think there is a separate speaker in the dash for system sounds.

Try changing tire size and back. I find that, on some Tesla’s that does some sort of low level restart that the other methods do not.

I have the same problem now on my 23 MY AWD. Just noticed it on my drive to work this morning when I didn't hear any blinkers. I think the acceleration/zing noise still works unless that's not a virtual sound...Haven't had a chance to troubleshoot it yet.

I have the same problem now on my 23 MY AWD. Just noticed it on my drive to work this morning when I didn't hear any blinkers. I think the acceleration/zing noise still works unless that's not a virtual sound...Haven't had a chance to troubleshoot it yet.
This isn't a Mach E... that's your actual car making those sounds, and if you push it it's the front motor you are hearing.

Reactions: Brian-MS90D
I don't think you held the scroll wheels long enough... Most soft power resets are Embedded Controller Triggers, that cannot be interrupted by the OS. Similar to the power button on a phone... If you press and hold the power button to restart the phone, the OS cannot do anything about it, because this trigger is handled by the power controller, for this very reason. So you can restart the device if the operating system is hosed.

I don't think you held the scroll wheels long enough... Most soft power resets are Embedded Controller Triggers, that cannot be interrupted by the OS. Similar to the power button on a phone... If you press and hold the power button to restart the phone, the OS cannot do anything about it, because this trigger is handled by the power controller, for this very reason. So you can restart the device if the operating system is hosed.
I'll try it again, probably didn't hold the power buttons long enough. If that doesn't work, I guess I'll try to schedule a service? Thank you all!

Experienced this very briefly today in our MYP.

Drove to dinner - everything worked as expected.

Got back in the car to drive home - radio was on and playing (per the screen), but no audio actually coming through speakers.

I "fixed" this by opening the theater and opening one of the apps (YouTube, Twitch, doesn't matter) where audio magically began working again. After closing the app, the radio sprung back to life as well.

Really weird/quirky. I may make a habit of rebooting the car every few weeks or so to avoid stuff like this.