Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cars show in other lanes when turn signal is on in 17.32/34

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They may not be used for ALC, but the thread in Autonomous was pretty sure those are the four cameras EAP is using. As usual, there's the whole which part of the software is using what for what, as always. I think that was the rationale for including them with the first 'four cameras' and then the others are in FSD.

FWIW I'd personally take the camera counts with a huge grain of salt. Based off everything we know now, it sounds like they wrote those descriptions before any significant software development on HW2. So those might've been the cameras that made the most sense when they were originally designing AP2, but now they've had almost a year's worth of real-world experience developing the system…. their thoughts have probably changed.

I personally think, given the FOV we're seeing, that EAP's "autosteer+ on sharper curves" would only be possible if they involve either the fisheye camera or the side pillar cameras. And I think we're all in agreement that they need the side repeater cameras to see fast-approaching cars in other lanes.

Overall I would not expect Tesla to cripple themselves by constraining EAP to 4 cameras if additional cameras make it easier to deliver those features.

FWIW I'd personally take the camera counts with a huge grain of salt. Based off everything we know now, it sounds like they wrote those descriptions before any significant software development on HW2. So those might've been the cameras that made the most sense when they were originally designing AP2, but now they've had almost a year's worth of real-world experience developing the system…. their thoughts have probably changed.

I personally think, given the FOV we're seeing, that EAP's "autosteer+ on sharper curves" would only be possible if they involve either the fisheye camera or the side pillar cameras. And I think we're all in agreement that they need the side repeater cameras to see fast-approaching cars in other lanes.

Overall I would not expect Tesla to cripple themselves by constraining EAP to 4 cameras if additional cameras make it easier to deliver those features.
I do agree... I never understood the whole 'now you have 4, and only can use 8 with this extra $3K...' Why not use all of them all the time, and *do* what you want in each package. If a programmer wants to use forward or backward looking side cameras, and then has to say "D'oh, don't have that view for EAP", then what? Makes little sense. And everything is supposed to be being used in shadow mode. So, who knows what is up, really.

Messed around some more while driving today and was able to reproduce more...

As I guessed, the highlighting of white in the car in the next lane is because the control software is using that car for accel/decel.

I had TACC enabled and I put my lane change indicator on towards the right. There was a car slightly ahead of me in the right lane. It showed up in the dash and it highlighted white. My car then proceeded to slow down very slightly (not a dangerous level of decel for the car behind me) so I could more easily make the merge. So it appears that when lane changing manually with TACC, it will decel at least if there is a car there in the right place.

I thought this was interesting so I did it a few more times (kind of tricky since it requires the right speeds of two other cars I don't control), and I was able to mirror the results each time. So TACC is smarter than I thought, in a way.

I had TACC enabled and I put my lane change indicator on towards the right. There was a car slightly ahead of me in the right lane. It showed up in the dash and it highlighted white. My car then proceeded to slow down very slightly (not a dangerous level of decel for the car behind me) so I could more easily make the merge. So it appears that when lane changing manually with TACC, it will decel at least if there is a car there in the right place.
I tried the same thing two days ago and also experienced what you described. Pretty cool.

What I have not tried is initiating an Auto Lane change when a car is in the lane I want to move into and just slightly behind me. Kind of nervous about doing that; don't want to scare the other driver if my car decides to move right in front of the other car.

• Helpful
Reactions: rnortman
I tried the same thing two days ago and also experienced what you described. Pretty cool.

Nice! Glad to hear it can be reproduced.

What I have not tried is initiating an Auto Lane change when a car is in the lane I want to move into and just slightly behind me. Kind of nervous about doing that; don't want to scare the other driver if my car decides to move right in front of the other car.

I've done this. I posted my belief of the logic that ALC follows to make a decision in a previous post in this thread...

But basically:
  • If the car is directly in front of your car by enough for the cameras to see it, it will brake+merge.
  • If the car is in range of ultrasonics, it will not merge at all. Once the ultrasonics do not see anything, it appears to wait some timeout period (unsure of the time, something like 5 seconds) before attempting the merge.
  • If a car is behind you and out of range of ultrasonics, your car is going to merge. If that car is going fast enough, it will hit you. No backwards-facing cameras are active at this time to see this.
So, kind of smart but not that smart, but protects you against some disaster cases. :)

• Informative
Reactions: cybergates
I am on 2017.34 2448cfc and I don't see any cars in the adjacent lanes with TACC on with or without using the turn signals. What am I missing here?
You won't see cars in adjacent lanes at all in an AP2 car unless you activate Auto Lane Change by using the turn signal stalk AND there is a car ahead of you in the lane you have signaled to change into AND the forward cameras can see it (speculation but seems to be the case).

I am on 2017.34 2448cfc and I don't see any cars in the adjacent lanes with TACC on with or without using the turn signals. What am I missing here?

Not sure, I see it consistently (daily). Maybe it requires a minimum speed? I don't know. Also, just to confirm: I am indeed talking about TACC and NOT auto lane change.

I'll try to record a video next time.

EDIT: Also, I'm on the same version as you posted.

You won't see cars in adjacent lanes at all in an AP2 car unless you activate Auto Lane Change by using the turn signal stalk AND there is a car ahead of you in the lane you have signaled to change into AND the forward cameras can see it (speculation but seems to be the case).

I've even gotten lanes 1 over from my target lane with ALC. What OP is discussing is what I've noticed since reading this thread and taht's while AP is fully deactivated it still displays the two cars in front and when you use the turn signal, other cars pop up (but since AP is off, none are light gray, all are dark gray).

I've even gotten lanes 1 over from my target lane with ALC. What OP is discussing is what I've noticed since reading this thread and taht's while AP is fully deactivated it still displays the two cars in front and when you use the turn signal, other cars pop up (but since AP is off, none are light gray, all are dark gray).
....and I have never seen any cars in other lanes except mine contrary to what OP is seeing

Yeah, for such an advanced car to have no side blind-spot or rear cross-traffic detection is pretty galling. Cars costing 4-5 times less handle it better.
I miss the around-view camera in my Leaf as well (in the Bolt now as well).

Yeah, for such an advanced car to have no side blind-spot or rear cross-traffic detection is pretty galling. Cars costing 4-5 times less handle it better.
I miss the around-view camera in my Leaf as well (in the Bolt now as well).

It has blind spot detection. It shows fluid radiating ultrasonic lines. It isn't the most elegant solution, but its there. Rear cross-traffic? Do you back into intersections?

Can you please post a screenshot whenever you get a chance of what your vehicle sees in adjacent lanes? Assuming we are talking about cars with AP2 here.
In this video you can see what happens on the cluster when the indicator is turned on and the other cars appear. This url should link to just before the indicator stalk is turned.
EDIT: Gah it doesn't go directly to the right time. Go to 5:15 in the video.

Thanks,. I was hoping to see this phenomenon as the OP stated :

"However, I was on a long stretch of local road driving this morning with TACC on and I realized that they also show when you just use your lane change indicator. I was flipping my lane change indicator left, then right repeatedly (sorry cars behind me) to verify and cars show up in the other lanes. Note that this is local road with TACC, not auto lane change. I never ended up changing lanes."

No AutoSteer in this case. However with the latest firmware I have rarely used ALC so maybe something to test. I was more interested in OP's observation as stated above.