Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

cars showing in wrong lane behind me

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Howdy,

I recently bought a model X, went through the seemingly infinitely lengthy camera calibration period, and started seeing all kind of neat little things the AI was detecting on the dashboard.

One problem with it is that cars that pass me appear to come from directly behind me and to swerve outside of my lane right behind me, which doesn't match reality.

Today, while waiting at a drive through, a truck came behind me and sat there. This is what my Tesla thought was going on:

1655065735888.png

Despite the truck behind dead center behind me, the dashboard shows it half way over the right lane.

Is this a common issue? Do I live with it? Would things improve if I reset calibration and waited another 100 miles? Should I bug the Tesla service center about it?

Safe to ignore and file in the "oh thats interesting" category :D
The display really isn't a replacement for the mirrors, more to give you an idea what the drive computer can recognize.
Congratulations on the X and welcome to the forum ;)

Thanks y'all.
Putting it all together, it sounds like a number of folks are in fact living with it, while others aren't seeing it.
I'm wondering if having a Tesla without radar sensors makes this issue more likely to happen.

If it's just a rendering issue, it's a bit distracting but not critical. If it's reflective of what the AI has to work with, it's more worrisome (garbage in, garbage out.)
I've spotted other weird happenings, such as traffic lights not being detected (once out of several dozen intersections) and a bicyclist riding in the bike lane next to me being completely invisible except for a brief instant right as I passed him.

Since the odd behavior could be caused by calibration, or software, or sensors, if I want to try and tackle it, I'd need to:

1. clear calibration data, wait and see if things are improved.
2. apply for FSD Beta, wait and see if things are improved.
3. file a service request, but I have no idea what to ask for. I see a "pitch verification" procedure, but it only applies to the forward camera so it shouldn't impact the items behind the car.

I think I'm going to run 1 & 2 in parallel, and wait until both complete to see about trying 3.

Thanks y'all.
Putting it all together, it sounds like a number of folks are in fact living with it, while others aren't seeing it.
I'm wondering if having a Tesla without radar sensors makes this issue more likely to happen.

If it's just a rendering issue, it's a bit distracting but not critical. If it's reflective of what the AI has to work with, it's more worrisome (garbage in, garbage out.)
I've spotted other weird happenings, such as traffic lights not being detected (once out of several dozen intersections) and a bicyclist riding in the bike lane next to me being completely invisible except for a brief instant right as I passed him.

Since the odd behavior could be caused by calibration, or software, or sensors, if I want to try and tackle it, I'd need to:

1. clear calibration data, wait and see if things are improved.
2. apply for FSD Beta, wait and see if things are improved.
3. file a service request, but I have no idea what to ask for. I see a "pitch verification" procedure, but it only applies to the forward camera so it shouldn't impact the items behind the car.

I think I'm going to run 1 & 2 in parallel, and wait until both complete to see about trying 3.
With regard to bicycles/pedestrians/cars showing at the last second: it's useful to know that even though it senses them all just fine, non-FSDBeta Autopilot will only display those agents when they might be of interest, like sharing the immediate drivable space or straight in front of the car.

With regard to bicycles/pedestrians/cars showing at the last second: it's useful to know that even though it senses them all just fine, non-FSDBeta Autopilot will only display those agents when they might be of interest, like sharing the immediate drivable space or straight in front of the car.
Ah thanks, that makes some sense. The moment where the bicyclist became briefly visible on screen was when it was directly to the right of the car, so at the point where the distance between him and the car was the shortest, which might have been enough to make it an item of interest.

I wish there was a way to see everything the computer sees (like in this waymo video
), as a bit of a trust-building exercise, but I'll have to get used to what's there.