Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cars to Buy or Lease While Waiting for Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Consumer Reports published an article on alternatives to the Model 3 that are already or will shortly be available, which should be priced similarly. Given that the M3 is some time away, a lease or purchase of another vehicle in the meantime is something people may wish to consider.

Here's the list, ranges in miles and prices in USD.

ms_alternatives_table.PNG

If you were an early reservation holder for the Model 3 go for a two year lease if it is offered, so you can return it shortly after taking delivery. Payments will be slightly higher than the advertised cost of a 3 year agreement but it gets you driving emissions free immediately, which is the most important part of this whole game. We've now hit the 11th consecutive month of high average temps, so the time to switch is NOW.

Reactions: EVNow
My lease for my BMW ends April 2018 and I will be returning it for sure because of the Model 3. I don't like calling the Model 3 M3 because BMW has already coined that model name for me. If I don't get delivery by then, the 2001 VW Jetta vr6 will see the light of day again.
If I didn't have the spare car while I wait for my delivery, I would probably buy a used daily driver just to get by and save the monthly car payments to build a better spec Model 3. my 2 cents.

I've been looking to this as well. For some reason I am antsy beyond belief to get out of my otherwise reliable and efficient Prius to get into an EV...ANY EV, to keep me satisfied until the Model 3 arrives. It's actually kinda annoying...I really should just pay down my Prius a bit more but I'm looking at any opportunity to jump into a Volt, Bolt or Prime. :-/

Reactions: Lunarx
It's not fancy but I just picked up a base Nissan Leaf off lease for 9k flat. Plenty of range to get my thru my paltry commute and I should see some savings in fuel and maintenance at least till the M3 ships. It's certainly one of the cheaper options.
Yes, Nissan LEAFs are a good deal now - it is even a good deal to lease one for 3 years, which is about how long I think a lot of people are going to be waiting for M3. (Hope I'm wrong, but just based on current info...)

I'm just going to accelerate the replacement of my wife's car and try to get it paid off before my 3 arrives. Since I do four miles a day, it'll have minimal miles on it when I turn it over to her.

The plan is for it to be a Golf Sportwagen. She'll keep her Golf for now, and I'll bid adieu to my Cayman. The GSW isn't a bad place to be, but... eyes on the prize.

I'm very happy with my 2nd gen Volt- has exceeded my expectations and I'll almost certainly be keeping it as a stablemate to the Model 3. I doubt my wife will ever burn a drop of gas with it- I'll have to take it out occassionally after turning it over to her to burn off some fuel and make sure the ICE still works! :D

I can only imagine how painful waiting the next two years would be if I hadn't picked this up a couple of months back.