Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Carsales Extended Warranty: $4000+ Tesla Repair

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When my 2015 P90DL MS was coming to the end of its 4 year factory warranty I naturally wanted to extend the full factory warranty for as long as possible.

At the time there were 2 products available.

InsureMyTesla/Marsh Advantage

Extra 2 years (total 6 years) up to 120,000km: Total Premium: $3,445

Extra 4 years (total 8 years) up to 160,000km: Total Premium: $6,295

Carsales Warranty (previously Redbook Warranty)

Extra 3 years (total of 8 years) Unlimited klms: Total Premium $1240

(To qualify for Car Sales Warranty, my car had to be less than 5 years old, serviced annually and travelled less than 125,000 km).

My 2 priorities were: maximum kilometres covered under warranty - because I can’t stop driving the car and, of course, price.

Carsales Warranty (Redbook), was so cheap in comparison to InsureMyTesla, and it seemed to be even better coverage, considering the unlimited kilometres.

I went with Carsales Warranty even though, it seemed too good to be true - but it is not.

Earlier this month the Master Charger in my car (on-board charger) became faulty. I took it into Tesla Brisbane in the am, who quoted for $4044 to replace it with a new charger.

After a minor heart attack in the Tesla office, I contacted Carsales Warranty – who approved the repair within a couple of hours (after checking my car service history) Tesla completed the work by that afternoon. I was required to pay for the repair in advance and car sales warranty reimbursed me a couple of days later.

The $1240 premium I spent with Carsales is now a priceless piece of mind for me. Financially, I’m now actually ‘in front’ whereas, had I have gone with the InsureMyTesla policy ($6295) I’d still be behind.

I don’t work for have any association with Car Sales Warranty/Redbook - however if you are after extended warranty for your Tesla, I highly recommend them.

Thanks Ray Newman for putting me onto them

When my 2015 P90DL MS was coming to the end of its 4 year factory warranty I naturally wanted to extend the full factory warranty for as long as possible.

(To qualify for Car Sales Warranty, my car had to be less than 5 years old, serviced annually and travelled less than 125,000 km).

My 2 priorities were: maximum kilometres covered under warranty - because I can’t stop driving the car and, of course, price.

Carsales Warranty (Redbook), was so cheap in comparison to InsureMyTesla, and it seemed to be even better coverage, considering the unlimited kilometres.

I went with Carsales Warranty even though, it seemed too good to be true - but it is not.

Earlier this month the Master Charger in my car (on-board charger) became faulty. I took it into Tesla Brisbane in the am, who quoted for $4044 to replace it with a new charger.

After a minor heart attack in the Tesla office, I contacted Carsales Warranty – who approved the repair within a couple of hours (after checking my car service history) Tesla completed the work by that afternoon. I was required to pay for the repair in advance and car sales warranty reimbursed me a couple of days later.

The $1240 premium I spent with Carsales is now a priceless piece of mind for me. Financially, I’m now actually ‘in front’ whereas, had I have gone with the InsureMyTesla policy ($6295) I’d still be behind.

I don’t work for have any association with Car Sales Warranty/Redbook - however if you are after extended warranty for your Tesla, I highly recommend them.

That's good to know how reliable & efficient Carsales warranty is.
I have the same and so far have not needed to claim. It sounded too good when I purchased, but I could not find any adverse small print.

How does this work when Tesla doesn't recommend serving let alone annual servicing and the items that failed don't get serviced anyhow, like on board battery chargers, door handles, MCU.

I got S 85 that's just out of warranty, still less 20k km(I put on 12k in 8 mths since I owned it), I wouldn't know if it been serviced prior to my ownership.

How does this work when Tesla doesn't recommend serving let alone annual servicing and the items that failed don't get serviced anyhow, like on board battery chargers, door handles, MCU.

I got S 85 that's just out of warranty, still less 20k km(I put on 12k in 8 mths since I owned it), I wouldn't know if it been serviced prior to my ownership.

I suggest you contact Tesla they will tell you whether it has met servicing requirements. Interestingly, Tesla doesn't require annual servicing to maintain warranty, so if your car hasn't been serviced annually but has met Tesla's requirements it should still be covered.

From another thread:

I queried Redbook on this (when I got the policy but only remembered when checking my emails) - both in regards to door handles and servicing requirements -- @Mark E -- see advice below which may be useful:

Thanks for your email.

‘Wear and tear’ refers to the gradual degradation of operating performance over time. As a car gets older, its performance will get slightly worse and worse over the years (power, torque, the odd squeak and rattle) . This is not what a warranty is designed to address.

Warranties are designed to cover the failure of a component (like your door handle for example). A door handle doesn’t wear out.

On the servicing question, our requirement is that servicing is done as recommended but the manufacturer. So if Tesla doesn’t require them, then nor do we. Relatively simple.

I hope that helps but feel free to give me a call if you need to.

• Informative
Reactions: Vegas

I have now just round to buying this (bit slow) and note that, although my car is way outside warranty, there is no waiting time.

Reactions: Mark E
@Vegas What are the Limitations of Liability on the Carsales Warranty?

I have an extended warranty from Toyota for my RAV4 EV that has a Tesla drivetrain. They have clearly specified the Limitations of Liability in the policy document. They limit payment on any single repair to the present value of the vehicle and the total aggregate payout to the value of the car when the policy was purchased. This "new car" policy must be purchased while the car is still covered by the factory Bumper to Bumper Warranty for 3 years and 36,000 miles from first purchase. Just wondering if yours has something similar.

I have the same warranty for my Tesla. You need to go to the website and read the T's $ C's to ensure you qualify and it is suitable to your circumstances. If you are unsure after reading you can ring them and you may be able to get a specific determination on some points.

@Vegas What are the Limitations of Liability on the Carsales Warranty?

I have an extended warranty from Toyota for my RAV4 EV that has a Tesla drivetrain. They have clearly specified the Limitations of Liability in the policy document. They limit payment on any single repair to the present value of the vehicle and the total aggregate payout to the value of the car when the policy was purchased. This "new car" policy must be purchased while the car is still covered by the factory Bumper to Bumper Warranty for 3 years and 36,000 miles from first purchase. Just wondering if yours has something similar.
Yes, similar coditions - best to read these on the site though.

Hey this is great. Thanks for posting. I’m about to take delivery of a just under 5yo and just under 125k km Model S. The $2400 is fine when you consider cost of other extended warranties.

I'd have gladly paid $2400, still well worth it. 125K klm on a Tesla is not much - different to ICE. Mine's done about that and it still drives like new. Did you get the yatch floor and sunroof?

I'd have gladly paid $2400, still well worth it. 125K klm on a Tesla is not much - different to ICE. Mine's done about that and it still drives like new. Did you get the yatch floor and sunroof?
Delayed response! Yacht floor, no sunroof.

I'm back here because I am trying to use my carsales warranty for the first time. Their warranty business was bought by The Warranty Group. So far it has knocked my confidence a little.

The new number to call returns a recorded message about a 'technical issue'. I've not had a response to my email. the carsales staff have been good responding almost instantly to my original email (with the updated new contact info) then again to my phone call to report the 'technical issue' recorded message. The person from carsales is chasing up the claims team for me.

It is for suspension related work.

Delayed response! Yacht floor, no sunroof.

I'm back here because I am trying to use my carsales warranty for the first time. Their warranty business was bought by The Warranty Group. So far it has knocked my confidence a little.

The new number to call returns a recorded message about a 'technical issue'. I've not had a response to my email. the carsales staff have been good responding almost instantly to my original email (with the updated new contact info) then again to my phone call to report the 'technical issue' recorded message. The person from carsales is chasing up the claims team for me.

It is for suspension related work.
Annnd it has been approved. Pretty good turnaround, just over 24 hours.

So, almost paid for itself with first claim. Another 18 months of warranty to go.

Carsales Warranties are too good to be true, because... this is now what it says on its website:

carsales Warranty FAQs

Thank you for showing interest in carsales Warranty. Unfortunately, due to the current economic climate, carsales Warranty has stopped issuing new warranty policies. Existing policies are not impacted by this change and are still active.