Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CarsGuide Model S Review

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"Your first 400kW/h of recharging is free using Tesla's supercharger network, so that would be four full charges from empty (which you wouldn't do, obviously), or about 1600km worth. After that, it's 35c per kWh or $35 for a full charge."

$35 for a full charge at a supercharger? Cheaper than fuel, but I think I'll stick with the older 'free' charging for the time being.

Reactions: RichardMcN
$0.35c/KwHr is a bit over the top. I agree they have to recover costs plus volumes of Model 3 about to hit the deck but I buy power at $0.235/KwHr 24/7 now so the "Retail" Supercharger costs will run at a net +48% Margin based on today costings. Tesla are in danger of souring the megastar image they have very cleverly developed so far. The reality in my case is I have always costed my Model S without use of super chargers and my projected numbers 4 years ago are spot on having now covered over 70,000Kms.
It seems counter productive to tout building infrastructure to aid global conversion to EV's and solving range angst issues with super chargers placed in sensible ranges then noble the image with approx.$30/tank. Dont get me wrong I agree it cannot be provided FOC for any length of time but i would have expected a % below retail price given the quantity of power they buy across the grid not a multiple.

$0.35c/KwHr is a bit over the top. I agree they have to recover costs plus volumes of Model 3 about to hit the deck but I buy power at $0.235/KwHr 24/7 now so the "Retail" Supercharger costs will run at a net +48% Margin based on today costings. Tesla are in danger of souring the megastar image they have very cleverly developed so far. The reality in my case is I have always costed my Model S without use of super chargers and my projected numbers 4 years ago are spot on having now covered over 70,000Kms.
It seems counter productive to tout building infrastructure to aid global conversion to EV's and solving range angst issues with super chargers placed in sensible ranges then noble the image with approx.$30/tank. Dont get me wrong I agree it cannot be provided FOC for any length of time but i would have expected a % below retail price given the quantity of power they buy across the grid not a multiple.
I think you are missing a key driver of the price, that a supercharger would cost upwards of 50k as a capital expense for example. Ongoing costs are not just the cost of electricity either, think about vandalism, wear and tear as more and more superchargers are installed. I don't see any way they are turning a profit at that rate.

• Disagree
Reactions: voltaren