Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Carvana offered me $65k for my 2018 Model S 75D with 74.5k miles. EAP, 21” slipstreams, premium accessory package. This can’t be real?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The only reason I got my 2022 M3LR was because I was able to sell my 2012 Tahoe LTZ in less than 4 hours on FB for $29,000 which was my down payment. Same for my son who bought the same exact car because he sold his 2020 Dodge Challenger for $3000 more than he paid for it brand new at the dealership. Very crazy times.

Reactions: CoryARamirez
My offer today from carvana wasn’t great imo-$42k 2018 M3 LR awd with 27k miles and fsd. I think a private sale would be easily $10k more. The problem is a have a loan on it currently so private sale is kind of complicated.
I've done it, just have to find a willing buyer. A little annoying, but it can be done. :)

Check out Shift, Vroom, AutoNation too in terms of selling to a dealer!

UPDATE:

Provided all documents, window sticker, photos and everything to Carvana yesterday and this morning. As of 20 mins ago, the deal has been "approved" and a printed check in the amount of: $26,995 will be ready during drop off.

They had me uploading photos of the odometer, main touch screen, all four sides of the vehicle, any scuffs, build sheet showing options + VIN, and that's it. Verified it, and appointment scheduled.

Absolutely crazy. What is up with the market?
Carvana allegedly has an algorithm that's very biased toward a specific ratio of Model S:3:X:Y, and if inventory falls outside of the optimum ratio, they will vastly overpay in order to balance it. Also, they allegedly own the bank that finances cars on their site, so the money they earn from financing is factored into their offer prices.

With that said, if you happen to have a Tesla that they don't need based on the algo, you'll likely see the far opposite of your experience (much lower offers). It's also extremely variable; if you check once a week, you may get wildly different prices. Most dealers and businesses that have offer programs are constantly calculating and recalculating offer prices.

Also, the market is a little crazy (depending upon what you're looking for of course). Model 3s are still a bit saturated. Y less so, S even less, X much less.

Last edited:
I've done it, just have to find a willing buyer. A little annoying, but it can be done. :)

Check out Shift, Vroom, AutoNation too in terms of selling to a dealer!

My credit union is 3000 miles away so the buyer would have send a check and then wait for paperwork, and also cut me a check- doesn’t seem too feasible for most buyers. Every time I’ve checked online with these services, offers have been lower then what I’d want to get (not surprisingly). I’ve heard Tesla is making solid trade-in offers lately but there’s no way to check until delivery is imminent.

Btw, is it legal/possible to ‘gift’ a car to a private buyer so they don’t pay sales tax (in California)?

My offer today from carvana wasn’t great imo-$42k 2018 M3 LR awd with 27k miles and fsd. I think a private sale would be easily $10k more. The problem is a have a loan on it currently so private sale is kind of complicated.
I have a 2019 M3 LR with 27k and no fsd. Mine was 47300. I think some people just get lucky when there numbers are high lol

I got a Carvana offer of $45,250 for my 2018 M3 MR, which is about $2000 more than the original MSRP, and about $4k higher than anywhere else. Thus, it was interesting to read above about the dynamic nature of the offers. How frequently does this change? I have until May 1 to pull the trigger, just don;t have a replacement car in the wings.

btw - Polestar estimated trade-in was something like $41k t $42.5k. They must really want some conquest!

I got a Carvana offer of $45,250 for my 2018 M3 MR, which is about $2000 more than the original MSRP, and about $4k higher than anywhere else. Thus, it was interesting to read above about the dynamic nature of the offers. How frequently does this change? I have until May 1 to pull the trigger, just don;t have a replacement car in the wings.

btw - Polestar estimated trade-in was something like $41k t $42.5k. They must really want some conquest!
Create a second account and try getting a néw offer everyday. My friend started with $46K and ended up getting 50K for his 2020 M3 AWD with FSD. He would have gotten more now

Reactions: pipestem