Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Carwash mode? [not on software version that has this feature yet]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I picked up my M3 SR+ a couple weeks ago, and apparently am on the latest software. I don't see a carwash mode available. Has this been rolled back or do us lowly base model owners not get the option? Want to take my car to my local drive thru wash. Neutral, fold the mirrors, wipers off, windows closed. Anything else I need to worry about? Don't want the charging port to pop up on its own while I'm in there.

Supposed to be available to all models 3 and Y. It is a little difficult to find. It's under the Service tab and I believe you have to scroll a little bit. I like it because I did have my charge port door pop open once in the middle of a car wash. So it's a nice feature in my opinion.

• Informative
Reactions: Phlier
That's about 28 weeks old; half a year. I believe that Car Wash Mode was added 2021.24.x.

edit: And just because your car went through the car wash this time without triggering the charge port door to open, doesn't mean it won't happen in the future. My own car has gone through the wash several times now but I lost the trapezoidal doohickey that enables you to open the door by pushing on it, so I think I'm safe. I'm still on 2020.40.8.

Last edited:
Enable the Advanced option under Software Update Preference, or contact Service and ask that the latest version be pushed to your car, or wait for a few more weeks. No way to manual update it from what I know.

Enable the Advanced option under Software Update Preference, or contact Service and ask that the latest version be pushed to your car, or wait for a few more weeks. No way to manual update it from what I know.
Advanced is enabled as well. I'll wait a little more and if nothing happens, I'll contact them and see what they say. I just assumed being a brand new car, it would already be up to date. 28 weeks old is definitely odd.

When the car is built it may have a release that is a few weeks behind the general population, or it could have a version that's only available for factory cars (I think I read that here somewhere). Regardless, that car may sit in Tesla's huge lot for some time. Then it may take a few weeks for it to be shipped to its final destination. Then it may sit in the showroom / delivery center for some more days.

On the door sill there should be a manufacturing date. That will tell you how "new" your car is.

When the car is built it may have a release that is a few weeks behind the general population, or it could have a version that's only available for factory cars (I think I read that here somewhere). Regardless, that car may sit in Tesla's huge lot for some time. Then it may take a few weeks for it to be shipped to its final destination. Then it may sit in the showroom / delivery center for some more days.

On the door sill there should be a manufacturing date. That will tell you how "new" your car is.
I'll have to check that date when the car is back home. I ordered in April and picked up exactly 5 months later. That might explain it.

Tells me software is up to date, currently on 2021.11.104.

I'll have to check that date when the car is back home. I ordered in April and picked up exactly 5 months later. That might explain it.
11th week of 2021 (2021.11.104) is March 15 to 21. Assuming that Tesla started building your car in April or assigned a VIN which was in the process of being built, would explain the 2021.11 version you have now. That the car took 5 months to get to you in LA, I have no idea why. You could try, if you haven't already, re-booting the car while it's connected to WiFi. It may trigger a look at the software revision and begin the update process. Or it might not (grasping at straws here....).

@dr_frankfurt A bit of information for you.... I'm quoting an old post of mine, as I'm too lazy to type it all out again, so some of the context might not fit, but the rest of the information is relevant:

New cars are delivered with a firmware that is a completely different code branch than the regular fleet code branch. My Sales Associate referred to it as the “break in firmware.” The firmware on your car is a break in firmware version, so I'm guessing that you've had your car less than a month.

Your car will switch over to the regular fleet firmware after some unknown trigger event happens. The trigger might be after so many miles, so much time, a combination of both, or some other event we don’t know about. It’ll happen somewhere between 10 and 20 days. You’ll know when you get a “Software Update” available message. At that time, you'll receive the latest regular fleet firmware.

If your car did a complete factory reset, it's likely (or at least possible) that whatever trigger Tesla uses to have new cars switch over to the regular fleet firmware also got reset. If that's the case, your car really will be stuck on that firmware version until your car reaches whatever trigger milestone it needs to reach in order to switch over to the regular fleet firmware. If it's mileage based, you'll likely be OK, as I'm betting your odometer didn't get reset to zero. The problem is that we don't know what the trigger event is for a car to be released from break in firmware.

I honestly doubt that anything is actually wrong with your car... it's likely to be a bug in that particular firmware version, which you will be saying goodbye to at some point.

When you are on break-in firmware, you can't be of the "my car's firmware is stuck" mindset. I know that that's easy to do, as you are seeing all of these other "new" firmware versions being released, and you're wondering why you're not getting any of them. Your car will remain "stuck" on the break in firmware until some trigger event happens, and at that point (and ONLY at that point) will you then get the regular fleet firmware latest and greatest.

Reactions: dr_frankfurt
Supposed to be available to all models 3 and Y. It is a little difficult to find. It's under the Service tab and I believe you have to scroll a little bit. I like it because I did have my charge port door pop open once in the middle of a car wash. So it's a nice feature in my opinion.
Just picked up my M3 SR+ and can't find the car wash mode either. I have to manually fold the mirrors and check to make sure the automatic wipers are off.

11th week of 2021 (2021.11.104) is March 15 to 21. Assuming that Tesla started building your car in April or assigned a VIN which was in the process of being built, would explain the 2021.11 version you have now. That the car took 5 months to get to you in LA, I have no idea why. You could try, if you haven't already, re-booting the car while it's connected to WiFi. It may trigger a look at the software revision and begin the update process. Or it might not (grasping at straws here....).
When we ordered in April we were given a delivery date of June. Which became July, then August, and eventually September. "Chip shortage, COVID" the usual excuses for everything these days. Excuse my stupidity but, rebooting meaning holding down both buttons on the steering wheel or going into the menu and doing it from there?

Two button hold down on steering wheel until Tesla logo appears on display. Takes about 35 seconds.

Edit: Sorry, hold buttons until display turns off then wait until Tesla logo appears and display reverts back to normal.

I went back in my notes and found that 36 days after getting my car, I received the first software update. This was back in July/August 2018.

I'm not sure if this will fix the radio, but I know it works for USB playback....

If, when getting into the car, the music is not playing when it's supposed to be, because it was playing when you last got out of the car, try this:
  • lift yourself out of the driver seat (while remaining inside the car)
  • open the driver's door
  • close the driver's door
  • then sit back down
9 times out of 10 this works for me the first time. Sometimes I have to do it twice for the music to come back on.

Status
Not open for further replies.