TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Carwash won't wash Model 3s

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Uncle Don, Jun 7, 2019.

1. Uncle Don

Uncle Don Member

I took my Model 3 to the carwash I have used many times before and the attendant showed me a sign that they will no longer wash Model 3s. I asked her why and she said they lock by themselves, they play loud music by themselves and they sometimes stop in the tunnel.

The first time I took my 3 there I asked if they knew about the cars, how to put them in neutral and how to open the doors, things that are different than on ICE cars. They said they knew about the cars and I never had a problem there before.

This is in the East Bay near San Francisco. There are a lot if Model 3s here. I find it strange that a carwash that charges $25.95 for a basic was would turn that business away. Now I need to find a new place. I had been using that one for 20 years with all my cars over that time.

Good bye Autopia Carwash!

• Funny x 9
    • Like x 2
  2. cadetsea

cadetsea Member

Do you not usually sit in your car while it goes through the car wash? Is it common to leave your car with the car wash attendants in the USA?

I can understand their frustration if weird interactions with the owner's phone & keycard & car are slowing their process down and costing them money.

3. opiuman

opiuman Member

It varies, I believe the ones that want you to be OUT don't want to be sued because of liability reasons.

ex. If for some reason your car glass is weak and suddenly cracks (obviously with you inside with machinery outside is really bad).

• Informative x 1
    • Funny x 1
  4. sduck

sduck Member

You need to be sitting in the car for the car to stay in neutral, which makes using certain kinds of car washes a problem. The easiest solution is to find a different car wash.

• Like x 3
    • Informative x 1
  5. dmurphy

dmurphy EV: Converted.

Our local hand car wash (which does a great job) has an automated conveyor system... seems ideal for the Model 3, right?

Usually you drive up, get out, go inside to pay, they roll the car through and do a hand wash.

Except, they don't allow that for Teslas... now I have to pull up, run into the building very quickly, pay, come back outside, and they send me through sitting in the car. Won't allow it through, even in Transport Mode, on its own.

Bizarre experience ... understandable, but bizarre.

6. Uncle Don

Uncle Don Member

The carwash I'm talking about doesn't allow you to stay in the car. Its touchless with no brushes. They used to do a great job.

7. J X 3

J X 3 Member

Maybe someone was having some fun, using the phone app to mess with the car wash employees.

• Like x 1
  8. Krugerrand

Krugerrand Well-Known Member

Ahahahahahahaha!!!!

Almost like they have a mind and will of their own.

Should be no problem for an owner to turn OFF Sentry mode and simply Summon the car through the car wash. ;)

• Funny x 1
  9. Tam

Tam Well-Known Member

Would you please do another demo by placing your Model 3 in neutral gear then get out of the car?

• Funny x 1
  10. Cmos2000

Cmos2000 Member

Puddles car wash in Boulder won’t wash the model 3 either. They used to but stopped after someone’s car went into park while it was in the car wash despite having an attendant in the car. Wish the car had a car wash mode ( stay in neutral, disable wipers etc)

• Like x 2
  11. GolanB

GolanB Supporting Member

I think Tesla should make a car-wash mode. I've owned my model 3 for months, and I still can't get it to go into neutral ;)

• Like x 3
    • Love x 1
  12. Trips

Trips "Boring bonehead questions are not cool. Next?"

Did Tesla do a software update that no longer allows this? Everyone would buckle the seat belt, shift into neutral and exit the vehicle. It worked for me last year.

13. Tam

Tam Well-Known Member

What worked before may not work again after a firmware update.

It sounds like to accomplish this, we'll just place the car in "tow" mode from the 15" display screen.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  14. Triplett

Triplett Banned

For 35 bucks the guy brings his truck to my driveway in LA

15. Gottafly

Gottafly Member

I guess the trouble with that could be that it could self lock in the tunnel, then roll out with no attendant behind the wheel (possibly downhill) in neutral into another car/traffic etc. Could be ugly.

16. Lhshockey24

Lhshockey24 Member

For many reasons you’ll find all over the web, bad idea to take a Tesla or any other car with “soft paint” through anything but a touch less car wash. I would NEVER let the people at Autopia or anywhere else run their filthy rags that have been laying on the ground all over my car. Try one of the newer touchless ones. In Livermore I like the Chevron on 1st street. There is a similar one off Hacienda in Dublin.

• Like x 2
  17. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Active Member

Someone HAS to ride in the car. My carwash just has one of the attendants ride through the wash, they make sure to put in neutral and turn the wipers off. They are quite proficient at it.

18. Leafdriver333

Leafdriver333 Somewhat Active Member

I wipe with damp towel.
    Wipe with dry towel.
    Finish with all in one spray.

• Like x 2
  19. SMAlset

SMAlset Well-Known Member

#19 SMAlset, Jun 7, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
    Don't know where you are typically driving in the East Bay but you might want to check out the locations for FutureWash, waterless car wash. We've been using them solely since Eco-Green AutoClean in Redwood City lost it's lot for redevelopment. Most of FutureWash's locations are in the south bay area but there is a location in San Ramon and I think Pleasanton. The Veranda location, which is listed as temporarily closed, I believe is in Concord. Here's a link to their Retail Wash and Shop locations: https://www.futurewash.com/bookonline. I would call to make sure they will be there before heading over. They also do a Club pricing where they will go to your home. There's a phone number to call if you have questions under their Contact area.

20. Daniellane

Daniellane Active Member

You could just make your own like I did:
    Ultimate Tesla Car Wash !!!

• Like x 1