Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Carwash won't wash Model 3s

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took my Model 3 to the carwash I have used many times before and the attendant showed me a sign that they will no longer wash Model 3s. I asked her why and she said they lock by themselves, they play loud music by themselves and they sometimes stop in the tunnel.

The first time I took my 3 there I asked if they knew about the cars, how to put them in neutral and how to open the doors, things that are different than on ICE cars. They said they knew about the cars and I never had a problem there before.

This is in the East Bay near San Francisco. There are a lot if Model 3s here. I find it strange that a carwash that charges $25.95 for a basic was would turn that business away. Now I need to find a new place. I had been using that one for 20 years with all my cars over that time.

Good bye Autopia Carwash!

Do you not usually sit in your car while it goes through the car wash? Is it common to leave your car with the car wash attendants in the USA?

I can understand their frustration if weird interactions with the owner's phone & keycard & car are slowing their process down and costing them money.

Our local hand car wash (which does a great job) has an automated conveyor system... seems ideal for the Model 3, right?

Usually you drive up, get out, go inside to pay, they roll the car through and do a hand wash.

Except, they don't allow that for Teslas... now I have to pull up, run into the building very quickly, pay, come back outside, and they send me through sitting in the car. Won't allow it through, even in Transport Mode, on its own.

Bizarre experience ... understandable, but bizarre.

Did Tesla do a software update that no longer allows this? Everyone would buckle the seat belt, shift into neutral and exit the vehicle. It worked for me last year.

What worked before may not work again after a firmware update.

It sounds like to accomplish this, we'll just place the car in "tow" mode from the 15" display screen.

I took my Model 3 to the carwash I have used many times before and the attendant showed me a sign that they will no longer wash Model 3s. I asked her why and she said they lock by themselves, they play loud music by themselves and they sometimes stop in the tunnel.

The first time I took my 3 there I asked if they knew about the cars, how to put them in neutral and how to open the doors, things that are different than on ICE cars. They said they knew about the cars and I never had a problem there before.

This is in the East Bay near San Francisco. There are a lot if Model 3s here. I find it strange that a carwash that charges $25.95 for a basic was would turn that business away. Now I need to find a new place. I had been using that one for 20 years with all my cars over that time.

For 35 bucks the guy brings his truck to my driveway in LA

For many reasons you’ll find all over the web, bad idea to take a Tesla or any other car with “soft paint” through anything but a touch less car wash. I would NEVER let the people at Autopia or anywhere else run their filthy rags that have been laying on the ground all over my car. Try one of the newer touchless ones. In Livermore I like the Chevron on 1st street. There is a similar one off Hacienda in Dublin.

Don't know where you are typically driving in the East Bay but you might want to check out the locations for FutureWash, waterless car wash. We've been using them solely since Eco-Green AutoClean in Redwood City lost it's lot for redevelopment. Most of FutureWash's locations are in the south bay area but there is a location in San Ramon and I think Pleasanton. The Veranda location, which is listed as temporarily closed, I believe is in Concord. Here's a link to their Retail Wash and Shop locations: https://www.futurewash.com/bookonline. I would call to make sure they will be there before heading over. They also do a Club pricing where they will go to your home. There's a phone number to call if you have questions under their Contact area.

Last edited: