TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Carwash won't wash Model 3s

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Uncle Don, Jun 7, 2019.

1. Glamisduner

Glamisduner Active Member

Sounds like a business opportunity for a dedicated tesla car wash.

• Like x 1
  2. Matt L

Matt L Member

Your hand. It’s the only think that should ever wash your M3

• Love x 2
  3. amit1947

amit1947 Member

I havn't washed my car since I bought it! Any recommendations on Tesla friendly car washes in Orange County?

4. Lhshockey24

Lhshockey24 Member

And probably a good bit of lost opportunity for Autopia especially if the updated S and X have the same issue. No group of car owners obsess more over a clean car. I used to frequent the BMW forums and don’t remember any threads about washing... *¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Like x 1
  5. Snow Drift

Snow Drift Slip Start: [Activated]

@JPP My car wash place puts my M3 into Transport (Towing) Mode and it is rolls through the entire tunnel (yes it locks), but the car does not engage the parking brake. I know it doesn't bc if it did it would jump the conveyor belt (as it does while they try to engage the system, and as it did once when I sat in the car with it engaged and it turned off...I guess you need to exit or it disengages). So, if they get comfortable with using the mode it should work.

I still believe Tesla should just send an OTA and stop Neutral from engaging the parking brake upon exit. And at the very least they should update the app to show the car in Transport Mode. When engaged it just says Parked (very disconcerting).

6. JPP

JPP Active Member

Here is the paragraph from the Model 3 manual that might apply:

Caution: Transport Mode automatically cancels and the parking brake is applied if Model 3 is rolled faster than 5 mph
    (8 km/h), 12V power is low, or if Transport Mode has been continuously enabled for 20 minutes. Model 3 sounds its horn to warn you that Transport Mode is about to cancel.

Could a car wash tunnel move faster than 5 mph???

• Disagree x 1
  7. RScottyL

RScottyL Member

Correct!

Was just reading another thread on this and it also mentioned "TOW MODE" to keep the vehicle in neutral when you exit it!

8. RScottyL

RScottyL Member

True, but they should either rename it or create a separate entry for this and call it CAR WASH MODE.

This will help the people at the car washes, as well as new owners that do not visit forums like this one to pick up all of the tips and tricks!

If they do create a car wash mode, maybe they can have it show up on the screen in big letters like dog mode, so that you know it is turned on!

9. Uncle Don

Uncle Don Member

I have found a new hand carwash that does a great job at a much lower price than Autopia. I will he sticking with them from now on. They seem to know a bit about the M3, like leaving at least one door opened while they vaccuum and do the interior. As for moving the car from point A to point B to point C the you do that so you don't have to trust a stranger to drive your car.

10. Snow Drift

Snow Drift Slip Start: [Activated]

Doubt it. That's like an average person running. You'd be out of the tunnel pretty fast. The place I go to is a hand-wash, so there are people inside the tunnel, it goes really slow through each step. The hardest part is engaging the mode. The guy always has to hit the button multiple times and let the conveyor attempt to push the car. It usually jumps the first try.

Just update Neutral to not apply the parking brake when you exit. Like every other car.

11. ElectricLee

ElectricLee Member

Yes, Autopia Car Wash NO-LONGER washes Tesla Model 3's. They DO NOT want to be liable for the car damages while in the machines. I used to have a yearly pass. They gave me a FULL refund.

12. JPP

JPP Active Member

...but the Walnut Creek location still does 'off line' washes and will do Model 3.

13. SeBsZ

SeBsZ Vendor

Can you explain how wiping a dirty car with a damp towel avoids scratching the paint with the dirt? I really want to do a "waterless" wash but si never understand this part.

14. FloridaGary

FloridaGary Member

What a ridiculous business decision this carwash business made. Let's not find a solution, lets just ban the number 1 selling car in California in the 2nd half of 2018. Whoever the owner is, shouldn't be in business. Geez

15. ry-ballz

ry-ballz Member

Water provides very little lubrication and doesn't really prevent the dirt from scratching your paint as it's removed.
    It's the soap that lubricates the paint and allows the dirt to be removed without damage.

Same thing with foam or suds. They don't do anything, and actually make things more likely to scratch.

16. ry-ballz

ry-ballz Member

Automatic car washes make money literally trashing people's paint.
    There's no shortage of idiots in the world, they'll find other customers.

17. StellarRat

StellarRat Active Member

Interesting. Where I live you always sit in the car during the wash.

18. TE51A

TE51A Member

You did not read the manual, washing the car at a machine car wash TERMINATES THE WARRENTY. Please wash at home with non detergent soap or if really really needed use touch free car wash machines. Was yearly. See manual for more.

Car wash and wax including body shops, activate VALET MODE to avoid the issues posted, disable walkaway lock

• Disagree x 4
    • Like x 1
  19. ry-ballz

ry-ballz Member

That's not how warranties work, and that's not what the manual says.

However, automatic washes trash your paint, so you shouldn't go there.

20. TE51A

TE51A Member

[​IMG]