Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Carwash won't wash Model 3s

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took my Model 3 to the carwash I have used many times before and the attendant showed me a sign that they will no longer wash Model 3s. I asked her why and she said they lock by themselves, they play loud music by themselves and they sometimes stop in the tunnel.

The first time I took my 3 there I asked if they knew about the cars, how to put them in neutral and how to open the doors, things that are different than on ICE cars. They said they knew about the cars and I never had a problem there before.

This is in the East Bay near San Francisco. There are a lot if Model 3s here. I find it strange that a carwash that charges $25.95 for a basic was would turn that business away. Now I need to find a new place. I had been using that one for 20 years with all my cars over that time.

Good bye Autopia Carwash!
Your hand. It’s the only think that should ever wash your M3

@JPP My car wash place puts my M3 into Transport (Towing) Mode and it is rolls through the entire tunnel (yes it locks), but the car does not engage the parking brake. I know it doesn't bc if it did it would jump the conveyor belt (as it does while they try to engage the system, and as it did once when I sat in the car with it engaged and it turned off...I guess you need to exit or it disengages). So, if they get comfortable with using the mode it should work.

I still believe Tesla should just send an OTA and stop Neutral from engaging the parking brake upon exit. And at the very least they should update the app to show the car in Transport Mode. When engaged it just says Parked (very disconcerting).

@JPP My car wash place puts my M3 into Transport (Towing) Mode and it is rolls through the entire tunnel (yes it locks), but the car does not engage the parking brake. I know it doesn't bc if it did it would jump the conveyor belt (as it does while they try to engage the system, and as it did once when I sat in the car with it engaged and it turned off...I guess you need to exit or it disengages). So, if they get comfortable with using the mode it should work.

I still believe Tesla should just send an OTA and stop Neutral from engaging the parking brake upon exit. And at the very least they should update the app to show the car in Transport Mode. When engaged it just says Parked (very disconcerting).

Here is the paragraph from the Model 3 manual that might apply:

Caution: Transport Mode automatically cancels and the parking brake is applied if Model 3 is rolled faster than 5 mph
(8 km/h), 12V power is low, or if Transport Mode has been continuously enabled for 20 minutes. Model 3 sounds its horn to warn you that Transport Mode is about to cancel.

Could a car wash tunnel move faster than 5 mph???

• Disagree
Reactions: mrclean90
It's called tow mode and it already exists.

True, but they should either rename it or create a separate entry for this and call it CAR WASH MODE.

This will help the people at the car washes, as well as new owners that do not visit forums like this one to pick up all of the tips and tricks!

If they do create a car wash mode, maybe they can have it show up on the screen in big letters like dog mode, so that you know it is turned on!

I have found a new hand carwash that does a great job at a much lower price than Autopia. I will he sticking with them from now on. They seem to know a bit about the M3, like leaving at least one door opened while they vaccuum and do the interior. As for moving the car from point A to point B to point C the you do that so you don't have to trust a stranger to drive your car.

Here is the paragraph from the Model 3 manual that might apply:

Caution: Transport Mode automatically cancels and the parking brake is applied if Model 3 is rolled faster than 5 mph
(8 km/h), 12V power is low, or if Transport Mode has been continuously enabled for 20 minutes. Model 3 sounds its horn to warn you that Transport Mode is about to cancel.

Could a car wash tunnel move faster than 5 mph???
Doubt it. That's like an average person running. You'd be out of the tunnel pretty fast. The place I go to is a hand-wash, so there are people inside the tunnel, it goes really slow through each step. The hardest part is engaging the mode. The guy always has to hit the button multiple times and let the conveyor attempt to push the car. It usually jumps the first try.

True, but they should either rename it or create a separate entry for this and call it CAR WASH MODE.

This will help the people at the car washes, as well as new owners that do not visit forums like this one to pick up all of the tips and tricks!

If they do create a car wash mode, maybe they can have it show up on the screen in big letters like dog mode, so that you know it is turned on!
Just update Neutral to not apply the parking brake when you exit. Like every other car.

I took my Model 3 to the carwash I have used many times before and the attendant showed me a sign that they will no longer wash Model 3s. I asked her why and she said they lock by themselves, they play loud music by themselves and they sometimes stop in the tunnel.

The first time I took my 3 there I asked if they knew about the cars, how to put them in neutral and how to open the doors, things that are different than on ICE cars. They said they knew about the cars and I never had a problem there before.

This is in the East Bay near San Francisco. There are a lot if Model 3s here. I find it strange that a carwash that charges $25.95 for a basic was would turn that business away. Now I need to find a new place. I had been using that one for 20 years with all my cars over that time.

What a ridiculous business decision this carwash business made. Let's not find a solution, lets just ban the number 1 selling car in California in the 2nd half of 2018. Whoever the owner is, shouldn't be in business. Geez

Can you explain how wiping a dirty car with a damp towel avoids scratching the paint with the dirt? I really want to do a "waterless" wash but si never understand this part.
Water provides very little lubrication and doesn't really prevent the dirt from scratching your paint as it's removed.
It's the soap that lubricates the paint and allows the dirt to be removed without damage.

Same thing with foam or suds. They don't do anything, and actually make things more likely to scratch.

You did not read the manual, washing the car at a machine car wash TERMINATES THE WARRENTY. Please wash at home with non detergent soap or if really really needed use touch free car wash machines. Was yearly. See manual for more.

Car wash and wax including body shops, activate VALET MODE to avoid the issues posted, disable walkaway lock

You did not read the manual, washing the car at a machine car wash TERMINATES THE WARRENTY. Please wash at home with non detergent soap or if really really needed use touch free car wash machines. Was yearly. See manual for more.

Car wash and wax including body shops, activate VALET MODE to avoid the issues posted, disable walkaway lock

That's not how warranties work, and that's not what the manual says.

However, automatic washes trash your paint, so you shouldn't go there.

That's not how warranties work, and that's not what the manual says.

However, automatic washes trash your paint, so you shouldn't go there.

tesla-manual-car-wash.png