Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Case of bait and switch?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update: They have consider our option 2:

Agreed to the new prices, and a loaner vehicle until the model x arrive between 1st till the 10th of October.

That's what we have discuss and possible deal going forward, we won't know till the next day, I'll keep you guys posted!!!!
I hope it works out for you to get what you want. It seems lately that Tesla is starting to take on some tactics of traditional dealers which is sad, but I think inevitable. The larger the company gets, the more employees they hire the more they loose control of the experience that has really appealed to people the past several years. Gallery employees, like any other employee group can be hit or miss, but the misses hurt a lot more because people expect better from Tesla. Good luck.

Update: They have consider our option 2:

Agreed to the new prices, and a loaner vehicle until the model x arrive between 1st till the 10th of October.

That's what we have discuss and possible deal going forward, we won't know till the next day, I'll keep you guys posted!!!!

So you're now OK with paying the higher price? That's what you didn't want to do before. If it were me, I'd take the deposit back, and wait until the next end of quarter push in Dec.

Reactions: Troy
Update:

We are still reaching out to someone higher up then the store manager for some accountability to the original prices that was shown to us.

the sad part is this:

Sept 22:
Reach out to Tesla head quarter and spoke to a customer services, explain what happening, and was told that a regional or someone high up will contact me to get this issue resolve. Nothing for over 5 days!!!

Sept 27:
reach out to Tesla head quarter and spoke to another customer services, explain what happening up to this point, the representative seem very sympathetic about what happening and stated that he will reach out to higher up asap. Still waiting!!!

right now it feels like we have been block and are being channel toward the local manager for all communications. My wife and I are just about done with Tesla and the way they are handling this matter. We are giving them just a little bit more from higher up to reach out to us and then we are taking our deposit back and moving on.

Update:

We are still reaching out to someone higher up then the store manager for some accountability to the original prices that was shown to us.

the sad part is this:

Sept 22:
Reach out to Tesla head quarter and spoke to a customer services, explain what happening, and was told that a regional or someone high up will contact me to get this issue resolve. Nothing for over 5 days!!!

Sept 27:
reach out to Tesla head quarter and spoke to another customer services, explain what happening up to this point, the representative seem very sympathetic about what happening and stated that he will reach out to higher up asap. Still waiting!!!

right now it feels like we have been block and are being channel toward the local manager for all communications. My wife and I are just about done with Tesla and the way they are handling this matter. We are giving them just a little bit more from higher up to reach out to us and then we are taking our deposit back and moving on.

To understand how Elon feels about this stuff, you might want to consider this:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ctea8zUVUAESePt?format=jpg&name=large

like I said, several of their offers to you were more than fair.

You never said whether or not you have a real sales contract or if said contract has a seller's right to cancel clause. I once again urge you to consider these points.

• Disagree
Reactions: Troy
To understand how Elon feels about this stuff, you might want to consider this:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ctea8zUVUAESePt?format=jpg&name=large

like I said, several of their offers to you were more than fair.

You never said whether or not you have a real sales contract or if said contract has a seller's right to cancel clause. I once again urge you to consider these points.

I fail to see what's fair about Tesla's conduct. Based on the information provided by the OP, Tesla entered into a contract with him and then refused to follow through. There are many terms that come to mind about that, "fair" isn't really one of them.
I also fail to see why the OP should care about what Musk "feels".

Conclusion:

1. We remain and will always felt that tesla have and should honor the contract! We are not asking for discount on the vehicle, simply honor the prices that was agreed to when we made a deposit!

Reality:

We reallly want an EV. Tesla is the best. Of all the option we have, we decided to go with this one.

*purchase the model x being deliver by the 10/6/2016. @ 84,400.
* maintains free for 3 years package
* loaner vehicle from 9/29 till we get our model x

Of all the other options, we feel would have drag this out and is very stressful. We have also notice that we have been block on communication to get higher up! So there no where to go.

Some people might agreed with what we decided and some will not.

Thank you! to everyone who have been fallowing along with us and have given your input!

Will continue to update till we are driving our model x!

I would think about this situation in the context of what car dealers normally do. Buy a car from someone other than Tesla and you will truly see what is typical in buying a car.

You might find that if you don't take delivery by the end of the quarter, the deals get even worse.

OP: good luck with your decision to go ahead and get the X. In my mind, if the initial step of acquiring the car is tainted with shady tactics, that leaves a bad taste in my mouth. How will future interactions with the local dealer, and/or Tesla "higher ups" be? Certainly you don't have a good first impression so far, will you be able to tolerate what's coming? Assume your car develops an issue, the local dealer may have "blacklisted" you as a complainer, they have "blocked" you from contacting any higher management personnel. Just food for thoughts.

I fail to see what's fair about Tesla's conduct. Based on the information provided by the OP, Tesla entered into a contract with him and then refused to follow through. There are many terms that come to mind about that, "fair" isn't really one of them.
I also fail to see why the OP should care about what Musk "feels".

1) The OP has not provided any proof whatsoever that there was an actual contract. A deposit is not a sales contract, and Tesla is abundantly clear about this.

2) The OP has not provided any indication, if there indeed was an actual contract, that said contract did not include a seller's right to cancel, despite this point being raised multiple times.

3) OP demanded an apology directly from Elon, and the point about Elon's perspective was to indicate the likelihood of that happening.

Thanks.

Update:

We are in a rental now. Dodge ICE!!! It eat gas like crazy!

One of the reason I didn't post or provide any of the text, email about this matter was to keep a tight lid on it until it's ok to do so, I have given the facts as stated. I wasn't sure what kind of trouble or issue would arrive if I started posting emails and text conversation to the public.

Been told that next Saturday Oct 8. Is a positive date to pick up the model x in Boston.

We never expected to have a "sorry" from Elon Musk that was just for fun!! I knew where Elon stood on discount and such!

1) The OP has not provided any proof whatsoever that there was an actual contract. A deposit is not a sales contract, and Tesla is abundantly clear about this.

2) The OP has not provided any indication, if there indeed was an actual contract, that said contract did not include a seller's right to cancel, despite this point being raised multiple times.

3) OP demanded an apology directly from Elon, and the point about Elon's perspective was to indicate the likelihood of that happening.

Thanks.

An internet forum isn't a court of law. The OP doesn't have to submit any proof, not to me and not to you, either. The OP gave a plausible description on how he and Tesla agreed on the sale of a specific vehicle for a specific price.
Even if Tesla had a legal option it still looks like a poor sales process. Least of all does it deserve the term "fair".

I think OP did mention that there's something called "principle". It absolutely does NOT matter if one can or cannot afford the car. So you're saying that it's OK if one agreed to buy something at a certain price, then all of sudden the price increased (honest mistake or not), then the buyer should just bend over and pay it?

No. I am saying that he should walk away on the basis of that price increase because it is BS and not to be stood for under any circumstance.

The rest of my post is unrelated to this. That is why I have two points.

Reactions: Darren Donovan
Update:

We are due to take delivery 10/11 at 10 am at our home.

Issue still need to resolve:

We are waiting for the final draft of the 3 years prepaid services plan. This was promise to us, as agreed on going forward as part of Tesla mistake of the original prices. At them moment we have not gotten the draft yet. We email them and ask if that will be deliver the same time as the Model X, so far we have not gotten a reply yet.

My wife and I will not take delivery unless we got what we agreed to, in the final compromise.

"
*purchase the model x being deliver by the 10/6/2016. @ 84,400. ( now move to 10/11)
* maintains free for 3 years package ( don't have any proof of this agreement yet)
* loaner vehicle from 9/29 till we get our model x ( this was the only one they got right)
"
Personal Thoughts:

We started this whole process with very high expectation of Tesla. So far none of them was met. The Model X it self is not to blame at the moment. I really think that the sale, customer service, and delivery need a lot of improvement.!

Sales Quote need to be accountable, Delivery date need to be more accurate. Hard to feel good and have a positive experience when everything from the sale person to manager of the branch words can't be trusted or taken seriously. Right now we are not sure if our agreement is being held up on their then.Date after date passed and we are still not in the car. For the price of what it cost, we should be able to have a better experience. A more positive experience!

I hope that someone at Tesla headquarter is reading this and doing something about it for the next customer.!!!

Last edited:
Update: less then 24 hours till delivery.

As of now: 1 pm Monday Oct 10. Issue that are still pending plus a whole new one!

**** We are still unable to get a final draft or conclusion to the 3 years prepaid maintains plan that was offer to us.

**** As of last Wednesday, " My account show a 0 balance. As of today it show I still owe $5275.00

I just spoke to a delivery team and they assure me that the new balance is an error because Tesla is no longer selling the 60D. He also assure me that we will get the 3 years prepaid plan, it's very hard to get approval, due to it never happening with the model x.

So far we are still hanging on to just words, We will stand by and see what happens when 10Am tomorrow comes around. (We are not paying a penny more!!)

FYI: they have also given my wife and I two Tesla jacket for being patient and working with them up till now.

Update: man where do I start!

Due to arrive at the house at 10:20 am this morning. Driver show up and everything looks good so far. Driver get into the model x and back drive off the trailer, on the way down before coming into the drive way, he hit the mailbox with passenger mirror. (phew no scratch or dent)

Drive up the driveway to where the charging port is located and we begin the walk through.

***Right away we notice that the rear driver side bumper have been damage with paint chip and is out of alignment.
*** Paint on bumper has spider crack very noticeable.
*** passenger side door is miss align.
*** Passenger side falcon door doesn't close all the way, and is miss align again.
*** rear driver side sensor have been push in from damage

looks like it got rear ended!

service manager offer to come right back with a loaner model x( 140 miles away) while they take the our model x and have it repair! ( on a new car)
at this point we are just sick to our stomach. It just feel like we have hit every single thing that could go wrong, went wrong for us.

We have summit and email to them and guess what; we are waiting again. No one higher then the manager will talk o us, all communication is routed back to the manager.

We want to talk to someone high up that can make a different going forward so these kind of thing don't happen going forward!

This can't be what it's like for experience buying and 80k car right?

The worst part of all this, is that I sold the car and the company to my wife with so much high remark and praise. And every turn of the corner I got slap in the face!!

Attachments

• IMG_3385[1].JPG
    IMG_3385[1].JPG
    426.7 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_3383[1].JPG
    IMG_3383[1].JPG
    266.6 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_3384[1].JPG
    IMG_3384[1].JPG
    165.2 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
I'm sorry to see your new Model X has issues, but Tesla will fix them.

The good thing is that in your photos it looks like something brushed against those areas with paint problems, so it may not necessarily be a rear end collision that caused them. You should also ask Tesla to test drive the car for you before they return it, and do a full end to end inspection.

Once you get it back I hope you are able to fully enjoy your new Model X, as you should!

Last edited: