Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Case Study: Deer Strike in a MYP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ouch sucks your insurance didn't total with that kind of damage. You get a damaged car back with who knows what kind of structural alignment issues, and your resell will take a huge hit.
Plus depending on what options were purchased as add ons (Full Self Driving, Performance Boost, etc.) most insurance companies usually DO NOT consider them towards the total settlement. As they are "software" and not structural, they are usually not included. So when you get that check for a totaled MY with FSD, it will be $7k or $8k (now) less than what you paid for it. Upgrades stick with the car, not the person, so replacing upgrades is another dip into the wallet.

So in the long run, it is better not to total a Tesla with upgrades.

Almost hit a deer last weekend on my second ever time driving my new Y.... took me a minute to remember that I could just honk to save the footage! SEEN A DEER.mov

Lol - In the northeast at least that's not considered *almost* hitting a deer. That's almost coming close to almost hitting a deer! : )

I never saw the deer before impact, just it flying through the air like a flying saucer or something into the darkness. I got the USB back but still haven't figured out why it didn't save any dashcam footage, just Sentry images. Would have loved to share the video.

Plus depending on what options were purchased as add ons (Full Self Driving, Performance Boost, etc.) most insurance companies usually DO NOT consider them towards the total settlement. As they are "software" and not structural, they are usually not included. So when you get that check for a totaled MY with FSD, it will be $7k or $8k (now) less than what you paid for it. Upgrades stick with the car, not the person, so replacing upgrades is another dip into the wallet.

Not true. My 3 was totaled and I got money for the FSD, all you have to do is show the purchase list and make sure it was insured for that option as well. . I actually ended up getting more money than car is worth because apparently in NJ, they have to give you taxes even though Tesla is tax free here. Extra 5k in my pocket. Initially they didn’t include it but I showed them my bill of sale and I got it.
I asked about the performance boost if I got it and they said they would’ve covered that as well.

Perhaps in a no-fault state, or an underinsured/uninsured other vehicle is at-fault, but if you are injured or suffer damage for no fault of your own, you ABSOLUTELY ARE ENTITLED TO ALL OPTIONS. Tort law is quite clear that the public policy is to make the injured party whole.

And, if you are "lucky" enough to have damage caused by an at-fault other party, you should consider finding a consultant to calculate your diminished value and insist on being compensated for that.

If you're in a state or situation where you deal with your own insurance, then you are not under tort theories of recovery, but rather contract/insurance law. That means you pretty much take what they give you.

Here, the OP struck a deer. Deers are generally uninsured so OP must deal with whatever policy terms he/she agreed with when purchasing that insurance. And in that case, they can deny compensating for options and generally will not cover diminished value.

Better the car gets damaged than you. Sorry to see the animal injured/killed as well. But you can repair the car and move on. But yes, the "stigma" of a salvage title, or a damaged car is a bummer, especially for re-sale.

Reactions: rxlawdude
So I had this deer collision today in my 2021 MY LR. I was going 75, deer came out of the woods and literally the first thing I saw was the deer on my hood. After calling insurance, I got on the phone with the tow truck driver. Even though insurance (USAA) said they could have it towed to my driver said he could only take it to his yard. I wanted to take it home so I could make sure I was sending it to the right body shop before it was hauled away. The driver asked if the car was driveable at all. other than a little tire rubbing on left turns, it was. So I decided to take it home myself. The driver even asked for me to call him back once I got home just to know I was safe.

Even though the entire front left side was crumpled in (see pics), the car drove like nothing had happened. Tracked perfectly straight, no warning other than so USS errors. Cruise, AP, end even FSD was available. I’m totally blown away by how well the car handled this collision. I barely felt a thing upon collision. And the car handled great.

Now I’m dreading the long repair process. I guess Monday morning I’ll figure out where I’m taking and when.

Attachments

• DCE367FA-283A-46F0-AAA7-326A94229325.jpeg
    DCE367FA-283A-46F0-AAA7-326A94229325.jpeg
    697.8 KB · Views: 75
  • C96746A1-7A10-4CE7-910B-4BE6C6095C05.jpeg
    C96746A1-7A10-4CE7-910B-4BE6C6095C05.jpeg
    694.9 KB · Views: 58
  • 7E265F86-AE70-418F-8611-13C4C13578B1.jpeg
    7E265F86-AE70-418F-8611-13C4C13578B1.jpeg
    373.1 KB · Views: 62
  • F0243ECD-0637-4688-AE2B-2DCD9A4AFA00.jpeg
    F0243ECD-0637-4688-AE2B-2DCD9A4AFA00.jpeg
    254.3 KB · Views: 62
  • AB2DE600-86CE-436B-838E-47ED5A8D0568.jpeg
    AB2DE600-86CE-436B-838E-47ED5A8D0568.jpeg
    242.1 KB · Views: 59
That sucks. Sorry to hear. I hit one in my Model S a couple of years ago. Wasn't going as fast fortunately but still hood, bumper and headlight replacements. But the absolutely worst part is having to hear, "It's a Tesla, are you telling me your car didn't see it, what's the point, Ha, ha, ha." Having to hear that from every single person was almost worse than dealing with the dealer and body shop. :)

Not true. My 3 was totaled and I got money for the FSD, all you have to do is show the purchase list and make sure it was insured for that option as well. . I actually ended up getting more money than car is worth because apparently in NJ, they have to give you taxes even though Tesla is tax free here. Extra 5k in my pocket. Initially they didn’t include it but I showed them my bill of sale and I got it.
I asked about the performance boost if I got it and they said they would’ve covered that as well.
Interesting case for us: if my insurance had given us credit for FSD, the valued amount would have been above the max line for totaling the car.

That sucks. Sorry to hear. I hit one in my Model S a couple of years ago. Wasn't going as fast fortunately but still hood, bumper and headlight replacements. But the absolutely worst part is having to hear, "It's a Tesla, are you telling me your car didn't see it, what's the point, Ha, ha, ha." Having to hear that from every single person was almost worse than dealing with the dealer and body shop. :)
Yeah I’m tired of being asked “were you driving or were you on AP.” I have to educate everyone that yes I was both driving and on AP.

Reactions: tsmithlxix
So I had this deer collision today in my 2021 MY LR. I was going 75, deer came out of the woods and literally the first thing I saw was the deer on my hood. After calling insurance, I got on the phone with the tow truck driver. Even though insurance (USAA) said they could have it towed to my driver said he could only take it to his yard. I wanted to take it home so I could make sure I was sending it to the right body shop before it was hauled away. The driver asked if the car was driveable at all. other than a little tire rubbing on left turns, it was. So I decided to take it home myself. The driver even asked for me to call him back once I got home just to know I was safe.

Even though the entire front left side was crumpled in (see pics), the car drove like nothing had happened. Tracked perfectly straight, no warning other than so USS errors. Cruise, AP, end even FSD was available. I’m totally blown away by how well the car handled this collision. I barely felt a thing upon collision. And the car handled great.

Now I’m dreading the long repair process. I guess Monday morning I’ll figure out where I’m taking and when.
And it’s totaled 😢

I'm so sorry for those who hit a deer.
I just drove back from Colorado to Toronto yesterday and I know it's the rutting season now.
Honestly I weren't dare to drive after dark and chose to sleep in the rest area. It was nerve racking to see dead deers lying on the side of the road every few miles during the day time.
There was one night I got woken up by police and asked me to leave the rest area because of an accident that caused chemical spills nearby. It was around 2am and luckily the next Supercharging station was only 15 minutes away but that 15 minutes drive on I-94 near Ann Arbor was like eternity and luckily I arrived the Meijer parking lot in one piece.
All in all, this was one of the road trips that I didn't enjoy the driving that much even during the day time! But at least I were finally up in the summit of Pikes Peak :)

Reactions: GlmnAlyAirCar