Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Case Study: Deer Strike in a MYP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Freewheeler

Vendor
Supporting Member
May 22, 2020
New York
New here, so hello everyone. Sorry to open with this post, but I figure it might be useful for reference.

I hit a deer late last night, maybe a 200# deer at ~40mph. Totally unavoidable; just ran in from the side of the road directly in front of the car. It's hair is still plastered to the car. Didn't get a warning chime. It was like watching a silent movie, no real sound or feeling of impact which leads me to the sense that the front end really did absorb a lot of the energy, but in doing so the damage is pretty intense. If anyone dares proceed, I photographed the extent of the damage for future reference. Yes, there is a fluid leak, too, which is coolant. The airbags didn't deploy.

I am a bit surprised the entire fenders on both sides shifted back to the point that they chipped the door paint. I'm used to seeing fenders bulge out at the sides, not slide straight back. The fog lights and headlights dismounted. The structural bumper seems to have held up, but everything else caved into the frunk. I didn't pop the hood as I'm not sure it will close again for the tow. We'll see the true extent of the damage (and cost!) once the car gets to the body shop and torn down.

Bummed out beyond words! Love this car!

IMG_3866.JPG

IMG_3874.JPG

IMG_3871.JPG

IMG_3872.JPG

Did you notice whether autopilot/crash avoidance senses the deer and started to brake at all? One of the reasons I bought this car is for the hope that the car is fast enough to see and react to stuff like this before we have time too.

We have a lot of deer where I live and have had accidents like this in previous cars. This is discouraging if the advanced driving systems in our cars still cant attempt to avoid these kind of collisions or at least brake to avoid some of the damage.

Did you notice whether autopilot/crash avoidance senses the deer and started to brake at all? One of the reasons I bought this car is for the hope that the car is fast enough to see and react to stuff like this before we have time too.

We have a lot of deer where I live and have had accidents like this in previous cars. This is discouraging if the advanced driving systems in our cars still cant attempt to avoid these kind of collisions or at least brake to avoid some of the damage.
did the alarm went off at least?

New here, so hello everyone. Sorry to open with this post, but I figure it might be useful for reference.

I hit a deer late last night, maybe a 200# deer at ~40mph. Totally unavoidable; just ran in from the side of the road directly in front of the car. It's hair is still plastered to the car. Didn't get a warning chime. It was like watching a silent movie, no real sound or feeling of impact which leads me to the sense that the front end really did absorb a lot of the energy, but in doing so the damage is pretty intense. If anyone dares proceed, I photographed the extent of the damage for future reference. Yes, there is a fluid leak, too, which is coolant. The airbags didn't deploy.

I am a bit surprised the entire fenders on both sides shifted back to the point that they chipped the door paint. I'm used to seeing fenders bulge out at the sides, not slide straight back. The fog lights and headlights dismounted. The structural bumper seems to have held up, but everything else caved into the frunk. I didn't pop the hood as I'm not sure it will close again for the tow. We'll see the true extent of the damage (and cost!) once the car gets to the body shop and torn down.

Bummed out beyond words! Love this car!

View attachment 543828

View attachment 543830

View attachment 543829

View attachment 543831
Looks like $11k damage

Thanks for the well-wishes. The only damage to me is psychological. Really bummed and there’s the fact that I’ll be living with a crash-repaired car I just got a week ago. The place the car is going to is highly regarded and Tesla certified, so I trust it will come back as good as new.

Regarding any warning: I think the car had a blind spot In these specific circumstances. This deer entered the road running a full clip from brush on the side of the road and entered just ahead of the bumper. Pitch black out. The radar is front facing so wouldn’t see anything. The side camera is visual and wouldn’t likely have seen the deer in the brush, then there’s the parking sensors which aren’t intended to serve that purpose.

The car didn’t alert me at all, even after impact when half the sensors flew out of the bumper and the deer was flying through the air. I thought it was odd not to be alerted of any issues.

No airbags as I think they’re associated with the bumper beam which looks fine and maybe some G-sensors / accelerometers which wouldn’t have noticed anything.

My takeaway is not without blind spots and that the body is very “soft” up front. You can dent the hood by not closing it correctly. Everything was affected but in my opinion not everything should have. The fenders in particular. The front edges are hardly damaged yet the entire fenders are tweaked to the doors. This will make these cars expensive to insure over time. I hope my accident forgiveness is intact on my policy!