TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

"Cash for Clunkers"

Discussion in 'Cars and Transportation' started by TEG, Jan 15, 2009.

1. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

#21 vfx, Jul 7, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2009
    Exactly.

Car landfills don't exist.

It's like those people who cry about all those electric car batteries that will end up in landfills. (another of our "stupid comment" thread.) 98% of the lead batteries are recycled now.

2. qwk

qwk P130DL

A lot of used tires are recycled in cement plants. They burn them using the rubber for fuel, and the leftover steel is used in the cement itself. They burn them at a very high temperature so the emmisions are very low. The Ash Grove plant in Louisville, Nebraska is one of them, and they give tours to see the process(this is how I learned of this practice).

3. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

It is great to hear that tire recycling has started to take hold big time, but still with 80%, that leaves 20% of tires dumped somewhere which still isn't good.

Waste Tires
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

Scrap tires piling up in landfill sites
    Tires Pile Up at Billings, Mont., Landfill - Science News - redOrbit
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
    [/FONT]

4. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Skid Row: Where Do Old Tires Go to Die?
    tire+fire+3.jpg
    tire-fire-3.jpg
    large-tire-fire.jpg
    [​IMG]

Firegeezer.com » Tire Fire Isolates Entire Town
    http://cms.firehouse.com/web/online/News/Massive-Tire-Fire-Near-Watertown--Wisconsin-Visible-for-Miles/46$43433

5. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

#26 TEG, Jul 7, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2009
    Searching on "tire fire" turns up so many stories of huge tire fires, some taking days to put out.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Tire shredding is cool.

This is not so cool.
    ZZZlzzzzzz.
    [youtube]7wj9cqCmdBA[/youtube]

7. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

cash for clunkers

I'm not a big fan of this program as it's currently structured. Given it's popularity, I think it could have been implemented with more restrictions promoting even greater fuel economy. Also, as an engineer, something feels wrong about destroying a machine that's in working order.

Anyhow I heard this on NPR while on the road yesterday and I thought it was worth sharing:

The Shaky Economics Of 'Cash For Clunkers' : NPR

8. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

I too question the value of these schemes for anything other than a PC way to subsidise the car industry through the current rough patch.

From Report shows emissions from cars and from car manufacturing continue to fall

So on average, cars today emit 22.7g/km less CO2 than a decade ago, meaning that to break even on the typical CO2 produced by the manufacture of your new car, you would have to drive 30837 km or 19237 miles in your new car vs. your 10 year old car that you just traded in. Of course, this doesn't take into account the additional CO2 made in scrapping your old car.

Far better to have kept those cars on the road for another couple of years, let them die a natural death and pumped the money into jump starting the EV revolution, in my opinion.

9. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

I have been saying I want a greater gap of fuel economy twixt the clunkers and new cars. Like another 50 percent.

It's a copy of a German program. How has that one worked out?

10. SByer

SByer '08 #383

There was article I read recently where apparently the German program didn't require destroying the engines, so there has been a black market of getting the cars shipped to "lower-cost geographies" to sell them. I'm glad the US program doesn't have that mistake, at least.

11. doug

12. doug

13. doug

14. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Yeah, that's pretty much been my experience with any consumer product. If you artificially pump demand, then it only takes away from future sales. Zero sum game. In this case, an expensive zero sum game.