Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Casualty of Texas Deer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, my 3 month old "SNOWY" enountered its 1st tragedy by being ran into/hitting Texas deer while I was heading to AZ and CO with my wife and 2 dogs for winter hiking adventure. It was my first accident in 8 years of driving history.

The incident happened in W US HWY 290 near Johnson City, TX (approx. 1 hr away from Austin, TX). I was driving well below speed limit of 55 mph in 70 mph zone due to darkness (1 am) and foggy weather. In all of sudden, deer ran from right side of my vehicle in less than 100 ft. In futile effort to prevent accident, I slowed down and swerved to left since no traffic was present around me. Unfortunately for me, deer marched on and slammed MY's front right side. Deer went home alive. I pulled over safely to the side of road and inspected the damage.

Well, the damage was much worse as seen in picture. Front bumper is damaged bad. Right front headlight cover is cracked. Right front feder is just crumpled and black trim piece went missing. Right front passenger side cannot be open easily due to fender being nudged against the door.

The good news is, everyone is fine including my dogs. I contacted Tesla roadside assistance immediately who offered to send me tow truck. I had to decline for two reasons - no loaner was available (I only have a one car and getting Uber with dogs and 10 day worth of luggage in rurar Texas at 1 am is harder than winning the lottery) and my vehicle was drivable without any warnings.

I safely got back home and filed claim with Progressive as I have comprehensive insurance. I plan to get the vehicle towed to Tesla SC in Austin, TX 1st thing in the morning.

For any local and/or similar experienced Tesla owners, I would appreciate any advice on choosing the body shop for repair, things to keep track of, and possibility of getting loaner from Tesla (this is my only vehicle)..

Attachments

• 20201219_022927.jpg
    20201219_022927.jpg
    235.2 KB · Views: 105
  • Disagree
Reactions: Berkshire1
Well, my 3 month old "SNOWY" enountered its 1st tragedy by being ran into/hitting Texas deer while I was heading to AZ and CO with my wife and 2 dogs for winter hiking adventure. It was my first accident in 8 years of driving history.

The incident happened in W US HWY 290 near Johnson City, TX (approx. 1 hr away from Austin, TX). I was driving well below speed limit of 55 mph in 70 mph zone due to darkness (1 am) and foggy weather. In all of sudden, deer ran from right side of my vehicle in less than 100 ft. In futile effort to prevent accident, I slowed down and swerved to left since no traffic was present around me. Unfortunately for me, deer marched on and slammed MY's front right side. Deer went home alive. I pulled over safely to the side of road and inspected the damage.

Well, the damage was much worse as seen in picture. Front bumper is damaged bad. Right front headlight cover is cracked. Right front feder is just crumpled and black trim piece went missing. Right front passenger side cannot be open easily due to fender being nudged against the door.

The good news is, everyone is fine including my dogs. I contacted Tesla roadside assistance immediately who offered to send me tow truck. I had to decline for two reasons - no loaner was available (I only have a one car and getting Uber with dogs and 10 day worth of luggage in rurar Texas at 1 am is harder than winning the lottery) and my vehicle was drivable without any warnings.

I safely got back home and filed claim with Progressive as I have comprehensive insurance. I plan to get the vehicle towed to Tesla SC in Austin, TX 1st thing in the morning.

For any local and/or similar experienced Tesla owners, I would appreciate any advice on choosing the body shop for repair, things to keep track of, and possibility of getting loaner from Tesla (this is my only vehicle)..
Your Progressive insurance should be able to get you a rental car at a reduced rate.

Must be that time of year for deer in Texas. My daughter was driving at 70 mph, southbound from Houston between Victoria and Refugio when Bambi jumped out. She being much younger than I, had the fast reflexes to barely miss the deer. I feel most fortunate to have not had your experience. I've only had my Y for two months, and would be heartbroken to have it damaged already. Glad you have some solutions.