Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Catalysts, Due Diligence, and Market Timing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
TESLA NAIAS.jpg

The North American International Auto Show 2014

Also set to appear at the major auto industry event are Transportation Secretary Anthony Foxx, Environmental Protection Agency Administrator Gina McCarthy, Commerce Secretary Penny Pritzker and NHTSA Administrator David Strickland.

I am wondering if we get some sense on when to expect results of NHTSA investigation.

http://www.politico.com/story/2014/01/joe-biden-detroit-auto-show-101893.html#ixzz2q0Dd0NCB

Also set to appear at the major auto industry event are Transportation Secretary Anthony Foxx, Environmental Protection Agency Administrator Gina McCarthy, Commerce Secretary Penny Pritzker and NHTSA Administrator David Strickland.

I am wondering if we get some sense on when to expect results of NHTSA investigation.

http://www.politico.com/story/2014/01/joe-biden-detroit-auto-show-101893.html#ixzz2q0Dd0NCB

Didn't Strickland get the boot (or well leave NHTSA for what ever reason) and isn't he already joining some lawfirm?

Didn't Strickland get the boot (or well leave NHTSA for what ever reason) and isn't he already joining some lawfirm?

Mario, I think it has been reported on another thread here that he 'officially' leaves in mid January. The 17th, if I remember correctly. I will look for a link.

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 40351

The North American International Auto Show 2014

Nice. Does anyone know where I can find a schedule of 'auto shows' that Tesla will attend over the next month or so?

Not sure if the market will react to this but here is the Automotive News piece:
http://www.autonews.com/article/201...h-tesla-beyond-its-comfort-zone#axzz2qHvIpjTP

This is the same kind of talk my Dad would tell me he heard around AT&T when he was wondering why they didn't want to get into cell phones. (For those who don't know at&t is actually SBC which was Cingular wireless who bought the remnants of AT&T and then took the name - so it isn't like AT&T eventually got into cell phones. They missed the opportunity entirely and a bunch of their baby bell spinoffs bought what little was left of them.

To me the encouraging thing as a shareholder is the automotive industry is still not taking Tesla seriously. This means they will be slow to compete. Of course from the Tesla mission perspective it is frustrating that they aren't competing because really we want strong competition. They even claim the Model S is not the daily driver for the majority of owners.

Anyone reporting from the Panasonic Press Conference at NAIAS starting ... now?

looks like tonight's Panasonic press conference will not be related to their automotive battery business:

5:35-6:00 pm Panasonic, Room 321AJoin senior Panasonic automotive executives and personnel from London’s legendary Abbey Road Studios for a private, behind-the-scenes look at the first Abbey Road Studios Premium Audio Demonstration Vehicle. A mini-media tour also will include other premium audio systems, connectivity solutions and HUD and HMI technology. Panasonic with 60 years of automotive audio experience joined forces with Abbey Road Studios, considered the birthplace of stereo recording, to create the next generation of in-car sound experience. Space is limited.

NAIAS NewsFlash

Vice President Joe Biden will speak Thursday at the Detroit Auto Show.

Will he say anything regarding Tesla? I suppose Barack Obama may be wondering that himself.

I wait with bated breath.

Joe has been on the national stage for years so you all have seen what many Delawareans have known for even longer than that: Expect at least one good Leno joke coming out of each public appearance.

edit; I have actually tried to contact him several times this year about the White House Petition with no reply. He has forgotten us in 'The First State'. (Or maybe just wishes to forget me:confused:....I will ponder that thought for awhile.

Do the Right Thing Joe.

Biden believes that global warming is caused by industrial and automotive pollution, and that broad and immediate action must be taken to curb its effects. In 2007 he co-sponsored the Boxer-Sanders Global Warming Pollution Reduction Act, perhaps the most stringent climate bill in the history of the Senate. Labeling the U.S. as the world's “largest emitter of greenhouse gases,” the bill sought to implement a cap-and-trade system requiring the U.S. to reduce its emissions to 1990 levels by 2020, and to 80 percent below 1990 levels by 2050. Biden also has called for the raising of fuel-economy standards for automobiles to an average of 40 miles per gallon by 2017.

During a September 2008 vice presidential debate against his Republican opponent Sarah Palin, Biden said: “I think it [climate change] is manmade. It's clearly manmade. If you don't understand what the cause is, you cannot come up with a solution.”

I wanted to revive this thread, to get a feel for what folks think will be the next catalyst. My view is that Elon and crew will begin a sales campaign centered around the Gigafactory (EV batteries, Renewable storage, and a new paradigm for energy efficient manufacturing), this will be dovetailed with the ramp-up to the Model E. I foresee a continual buildup in the stock price as details emerge.

While I was a little disconcerted that partners were not announced, I can only imagine that Tesla is in a much stronger negotiating position. In any negotiation the man who speaks first loses. It's not what Elon said, it's what what he didn't say.

TSLA Catalysts - Pro vs. Con - Week Starting 3/31/2014

Hi all,

The process behind this thread is to create a quick view of potential pro vs. con catalysts that are influencing TSLA. My thought is to refresh the 1st page every Monday to reflect all known potential pros/cons that are affecting the stock on any given day/week/month period. I'd be looking for feedback from all users on this board for any additional pointers. I have no idea how overly helpful this thread will be, but I think it's a good idea to have a quick reference point to view what could be influencing a stock on any given day.

Mods - if you think this should reside in the short/long term threads - feel free to take down.

POTENTIAL PRO

- Gigafactory location
- Gigafactory partners
- Model X retail reveal
- Release of Model X real demand
- Release of real China demand
- Release of real Norway demand
- Q1 Earnings Release

POTENTIAL CON

- China GM departure
- Additional cost from battery shield
- Weak overall German/EU demand
- Elon mentioned in 60 minutes piece that he "expected Tesla to fail". Lots of FUD swirling around this morning regarding this. We all know on this board what he means.
- Risks associated with Gigafactory (suppliers, overall venture)