Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Catastrophic Failure @ 1k Miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have a 2020 Model X LR+ with less than 1,000 miles. I'm leaving our local Supercharger after charging to 90%. I make it down 2 floors of the parking garage before the car stalls and complete dies while throwing the following codes:

3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg

Per the manual, the red icon indicates the following:
Screen Shot 2020-04-28 at 9.16.01 PM.png

At this point both soft resets do not help and I'm stuck on the parking garage ramp. The car doesn't shift into neutral and dozens of Teslas are driving around my broken down X to get to the SC). Very embarrassing so images attached for your viewing pleasure.

A6C9F4B9-B672-4F67-9B1B-11F2B6904660.JPG

I look at the details of the codes and get the following results:

2.jpg

I used the roadside service app and got the car towed to a local Tesla dealership. Tesla called for the tow truck and paid for it when we arrived at the dealership. I drive off in a loaner S courtesy of Tesla/Enterprise.

So I'm now patiently waiting for them to diagnose the issue. I consider myself lucky that this car did not break down in a busier location.

Open to any guesses and feedback on what this may be. I should be hearing back from dealership in the next day or two so please wish me luck.

Looks pretty apocalyptic. Terrible spot to get a tow truck into, too. Let us know how it goes!

Flatbed wouldn't have made it into the garage so I'm thankful for the skilled tow truck driver who was able to navigate us safely.

Looking at the Tesla app, I see that the car has stopped responding with the app the second this happened. It still shows the car at the SC location with the interior temperature during that same time.

When I've dropped off my car to the dealership in the past, they instantly disable remote access (for security reasons) and it will detail that in your app so I'm curious of the impact this issue has on the communication between the car and Tesla app.

We have a 2020 Model X LR+ with less than 1,000 miles. I'm leaving our local Supercharger after charging to 90%. I make it down 2 floors of the parking garage before the car stalls and complete dies while throwing the following codes:

View attachment 536990 View attachment 536989 View attachment 536988 View attachment 536987 View attachment 536986 View attachment 536985

Per the manual, the red icon indicates the following:
View attachment 536995

At this point both soft resets do not help and I'm stuck on the parking garage ramp. The car doesn't shift into neutral and dozens of Teslas are driving around my broken down X to get to the SC). Very embarrassing so images attached for your viewing pleasure.

View attachment 536992

I look at the details of the codes and get the following results:

View attachment 536991

I used the roadside service app and got the car towed to a local Tesla dealership. Tesla called for the tow truck and paid for it when we arrived at the dealership. I drive off in a loaner S courtesy of Tesla/Enterprise.

So I'm now patiently waiting for them to diagnose the issue. I consider myself lucky that this car did not break down in a busier location.

Open to any guesses and feedback on what this may be. I should be hearing back from dealership in the next day or two so please wish me luck.
Why does it say “Congratulations”? Hopefully that’s what you’ve named your car?

What? You charged to 90%? You're only suppose to charge to 80% max at Superchargers per Tesla! It's in the manual! That is why all of this occurred! This is not covered under warranty and it will all be coming out of your pocket buddy

jk. You got hit with all the error codes. Curious to see the diagnosis...

Also, Lol'd @

MY1CGk5.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: Big Earl
When my 12 Volt battery failed I had similar symptoms and similar warnings. A lead became corroded. They tried to blame me saying I drove through a flood. There was no flood and I insisted that they go through my logs to prove there was no puddle and no driving off the grid or in weird places. They relented and repaired the car. I was not impressed BUT I now refuse to use that service center for this and several other reasons.

Reactions: DanCar and _jmk
Wow that bites hard. I hope they get you fixed up quickly and cleanly. Nothing is worse than a car that strands you. :(

Just in case, keep a detailed folder of all paperwork and timing. I say this because it is a safety related repair and consumer protection laws kick in earlier when the repair is a safety issue.

What? You charged to 90%? You're only suppose to charge to 80% max at Superchargers per Tesla! It's in the manual! That is why all of this occurred! This is not covered under warranty and it will all be coming out of your pocket buddy

I highly doubt this. There is no such warning in my Model 3 manual, and although the Model X could be different, I rather doubt it. I've charged to near 100% occasionally (when necessary on long road trips) at a SC with no untoward consequences.

I highly doubt this. There is no such warning in my Model 3 manual, and although the Model X could be different, I rather doubt it. I've charged to near 100% occasionally (when necessary on long road trips) at a SC with no untoward consequences.

He posted jk (Just Kidding, also J/K).

Yes, you can top off at a DCFC on all EVs but it takes forever. The last 5% is often brutal. 80% is the sweet spot for most EVs.

It seems to be catastrophic to the OP.

With all due respect, the OP's use of the word "catastrophic" is not appropriate, despite what he or you might feel.

adjective

adjective: catastrophic
  1. involving or causing sudden great damage or suffering.
    "a catastrophic earthquake"
    • extremely unfortunate or unsuccessful.
      "catastrophic mismanagement of the economy"
      h
      Similar:
      disastrous
2. involving a sudden and large-scale alteration in state.
  • "the body undergoes catastrophic collapse towards the state of a black hole"

calamitous, cataclysmic,ruinous, tragic, fatal, dire, awful, terrible, dreadful, black, woeful, grievous, lamentable, miserable, unfortunate,
direful

With all due respect, the OP's use of the word "catastrophic" is not appropriate, despite what he or you might feel.

adjective

adjective: catastrophic
  1. involving or causing sudden great damage or suffering.
    "a catastrophic earthquake"
    • extremely unfortunate or unsuccessful.
      "catastrophic mismanagement of the economy"
      h
      Similar:
      disastrous
2. involving a sudden and large-scale alteration in state.
  • "the body undergoes catastrophic collapse towards the state of a black hole"

calamitous, cataclysmic,ruinous, tragic, fatal, dire, awful, terrible, dreadful, black, woeful, grievous, lamentable, miserable, unfortunate,
direful

I think we are getting sidetracked from the topic of the thread -- trying to get a diagnosis from Tesla of what the underlying issue may be that's throwing all these codes.

The use of adjectives can also be very subjective for individuals and I'll just leave it at that.

Reactions: K3Man