Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Catastrophic Failure @ 1k Miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This forum only works if we as a group accurately post and describe things.

Sensationalizing things will make posts and the forum itself lose relevance.

Think what you will. Click on disagree if you wish, but we as a group need to be accurate or else we might as well not even bother.

This was no where in the same galaxy as catastrophic.The light from catastrophic won't reach this issue for billions of years.

Annoying, frustrating, disillusioning, Lemon Law worthy... Absolutely.

Catastrophic? Not even close.

My 2 cents. YMMV.

Ultimately I hope things work out for the OP.

He has this car for under 6 months and already has had one significant issue. He needs to keep track, and if more issues develop he needs to invoke the Lemon Law. IMHO

Last edited:
This forum only works if we as a group accurately post and describe things.

Sensationalizing things will make posts and the forum itself lose relevance.

Think what you will. Click on disagree if you wish, but we as a group need to be accurate or else we might as well not even bother.

This was no where in the same galaxy as catastrophic.

Annoying, frustrating, disillusioning, Lemon Law worthy... Absolutely.

Catastrophic? Not even close.

My 2 cents. YMMV.
That's fair. It's just too bad that it has brought out the wannabe comedians who think they are funny.

He posted jk (Just Kidding, also J/K).

Yes, you can top off at a DCFC on all EVs but it takes forever. The last 5% is often brutal. 80% is the sweet spot for most EVs.
Huh. I didn't see the j/k down below the relevant statement, and wouldn't have recognized the abbreviation anyway. Too cryptic for me.

I agree the last 5% charge is brutally slow. Pretty well the same speed as on L2 at home. But sometimes that last 5% is critical. Luckily, not very often.

That certainly is a catastrophic failure. Did they get you a loaner?

That's not encouraging to hear that the MX no longer will operate if the front motor fails. There are lots of stories about MS/X cars losing the front motor and still driving.

That's not encouraging to hear that the MX no longer will operate if the front motor fails. There are lots of stories about MS/X cars losing the front motor and still driving.

I suspect that before the rear motor was primary, so you could lose the front. Now the front PM motor is primary, so you can probably lose the rear motor and continue driving with restricted power.

• Informative
Reactions: MXLRplus
That certainly is a catastrophic failure. Did they get you a loaner?

Yes, I'm currently driving a S loaner courtesy of Enterprise. They say the car was disinfected but still would love to be in the comfort of my own car right about now.

I also reviewed a thread about a M3 with that was not able to move despite being a dual motor.

• Informative
Reactions: MXLRplus
Here's an update in hopes that it helps a future MX owner.
They say it's a faulty front drive unit and they had another X last month with the same issue at 112 miles.
New baby is due in a week so we'll see if this thing is fixed before our newborn gets here.

Ahh. Now I understand the wording. Who hasn't gotten freaked out at least a little when a baby is on the way?
Especially the first? Hopefully it'll be a speedy and efficient service. And congratulations!

This falls into the catagory of "major" issue according to Lemon Laws. If they keep your car over a month or you have more issues, you can insist Tesla honor the California Lemon Law.

My former vehicle was a BMW X6M package. First three weeks it had three flat tires (Pirelli Runflats SUCK), and a couple of other issues. It was a lease. It was fixed and then was pretty much OK for the rest of the lease period.

Crap happens. Enjoy the new baby. The Model X is not a part of the family and is just a car.

Thank you everyone for the kind words and encouragement.. still waiting on the ETA on this fix.

In my experience with dealerships (mostly BMW) -- they detail parts + labor + cost and if it's under warranty the owner doesn't pay out of pocket. Can I come to expect this from Tesla?

I'm curious about what this type of repair would cost for someone who is not as fortunate to be covered under warranty.

Last edited:
In my experience with dealerships (mostly BMW) -- they detail parts + labor + cost and if it's under warranty the owner doesn't pay out of pocket. Can I come to expect this from Tesla?

I'm curious about what this type of repair would cost for someone who is not as fortunate to be covered under warranty.

No, for warranty work they don't normally list the prices. (The reason BMW dealerships do is that that they have to submit that invoice to BMW for payment, Tesla doesn't have to do that.)

• Informative
Reactions: MichaelP90DL
What? You charged to 90%? You're only suppose to charge to 80% max at Superchargers per Tesla! It's in the manual! That is why all of this occurred! This is not covered under warranty and it will all be coming out of your pocket buddy

Is this guy right? I looked at all 52 instances of "SuperCharg" in the User's Manual, and the only reference to 80% I found is that at a "high usage" Supercharger you may be limited to 80% when NOT using Trip Planner. And you can increase the limit manually.

Reactions: MichaelP90DL