Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Categories of luckiest Tesla owners.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MXWing

Oct 13, 2016
USA
I made a tongue in cheek thread about "Most Screwed Tesla owners". Some took it as negative but I meant to show that its "all relative" given the advancing nature of Tesla's. We should be happy there is a Tesla at all, completely changing the paradigm of driving.

Categories of most screwed Tesla owners.

I'll make a thread of luckiest owners which will probably end up pissing more people off than a thread about screwed owners. ;)

Comment if my list needs rearrangement. Interesting how Model 3 owners end up on the bottom of the 'most screwed' list and on top of the 'luckiest' list.

0.) All Model 3 owners compared to first adopter Roadster and S owners. The range, performance and technology Model 3 owners are getting compared to the trail blazers...

1.) 3P- Owners. After $5,000 rebate have a 3.5 second 0-60 and track mode. Costing only $5000-$6000 on top of AWD. Bonus: Not afraid of snow like 3P+ Owners.

2.) 3P+ Owners who ordered before September but did not take delivery until after middle of October or later. $5,500 price correction at time of delivery and keeping FUSC. Those who ordered before July also got free premium LTE.

3.) 2018Q3 Model 3 AWD Early Orders. AWD at 4K. Cheaper premium paint. Free LTE.

4.) 2018Q3 Model 3 LR Early Orders. Cheaper paint options, Free LTE, best $ for range. Not currently on sale.

5.) Model S/X 100D Owners gifted FUSC after being told they would not be eligible.

6.) Model S 60D Owners with AP2. Access to HW3 retrofit, $2K unlock to 75D + performance uncork and transferable FUSC.

7.) Model X 60D Owners with AP2. Access to HW3 retrofit, $4.5K unlock to 75D + performance uncork and transferable FUSC.

8.) Early Model S owners who got cars delivered with AP1 hardware but didn't order it initally.

Early Model X 90D owners: Active Spoiler!

Model S and X owners before January 2017: Transferable Lifetime FUSC

December 2014 to April 2015 Model S P85D owners: Performance Plus suspension, bolstered rear seats (for those that didn't get tricked by Tesla to accept the standard rear seats) or executive rear seats

Silver Metallic, Titanium Metallic, Green, Brown, Dolphin Grey, Old Blue owners - I'm getting a little bored of seeing the same current 5 colors everywhere

Reactions: Cowby and MXWing
I made a tongue in cheek thread about "Most Screwed Tesla owners". Some took it as negative but I meant to show that its "all relative" given the advancing nature of Tesla's. We should be happy there is a Tesla at all, completely changing the paradigm of driving.

Categories of most screwed Tesla owners.

I'll make a thread of luckiest owners which will probably end up pissing more people off than a thread about screwed owners. ;)

Comment if my list needs rearrangement. Interesting how Model 3 owners end up on the bottom of the 'most screwed' list and on top of the 'luckiest' list.

0.) All Model 3 owners compared to first adopter Roadster and S owners. The range, performance and technology Model 3 owners are getting compared to the trail blazers...

1.) 3P- Owners. After $5,000 rebate have a 3.5 second 0-60 and track mode. Costing only $5000-$6000 on top of AWD. Bonus: Not afraid of snow like 3P+ Owners.

2.) 3P+ Owners who ordered before September but did not take delivery until after middle of October or later. $5,500 price correction at time of delivery and keeping FUSC. Those who ordered before July also got free premium LTE.

3.) 2018Q3 Model 3 AWD Early Orders. AWD at 4K. Cheaper premium paint. Free LTE.

4.) 2018Q3 Model 3 LR Early Orders. Cheaper paint options, Free LTE, best $ for range. Not currently on sale.

5.) Model S/X 100D Owners gifted FUSC after being told they would not be eligible.

6.) Model S 60D Owners with AP2. Access to HW3 retrofit, $2K unlock to 75D + performance uncork and transferable FUSC.

7.) Model X 60D Owners with AP2. Access to HW3 retrofit, $4.5K unlock to 75D + performance uncork and transferable FUSC.

8.) Early Model S owners who got cars delivered with AP1 hardware but didn't order it initally.

Everyone who bought a Model 3 over a used (or new for that matter) Model S.

...6) Model S 60D Owners with AP2. Access to HW3 retrofit, $2K unlock to 75D + performance uncork and transferable FUSC...
An interesting subset of this group is those who ordered days before the 60D was discontinued and were able to keep air suspension and 72A charging, and could reprice their cars under the price drop that followed and included the free glass roof. Bonus points if you opted for the later July 2017 delivery window as you likely got the DU00 drive unit, Double whammy if you had alcantera and leather.

Early Model X 90D owners: Active Spoiler!
Second this. Loved the active spoiler.

...Model S and X owners before January 2017: Transferable Lifetime FUSC...
I think January 15th was the cutoff.

...Silver Metallic, Titanium Metallic, Green...

Also loved the missing silvers and green.

Have to disagree with this. Love the looks and size of the S.

Some other lucky folks:

Non US buyers of the 75 who mostly unkowingly got the 400v BTX8 battery. Even luckier if they ever get it unlocked to 85.

Any non software locked owners who had a battery failure and got a higher capacity battery in return: original 60 to 75, 85 to 90 and 90 to 100.

Last edited:

Nah. Never considered buying a Model 3 when we bought the SP100D in Sept 2018. The 3 is too small and my kids didn’t like the back seats when they sat in it in the showroom. If we didn’t buy the S, we probably would have bought the Porsche Panamera Turbo or an Aston Martin Rapide S or some other full size luxury sedan. I loved the MS the best when I test drove it. It is an EV and quicker than a Lamborghini Huracan.

Nah. Never considered buying a Model 3 when we bought the SP100D in Sept 2018. The 3 is too small and my kids didn’t like the back seats when they sat in it in the showroom. If we didn’t buy the S, we probably would have bought the Porsche Panamera Turbo or an Aston Martin Rapide S or some other full size luxury sedan. I loved the MS the best when I test drove it. It is an EV and quicker than a Lamborghini Huracan.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that maybe you aren't the target market for the Model 3, lol.

Reactions: cizUK

Funny. I ordered my P85 in June of 2013 and accepted delivery in Sept of 2013. I was lucky enough to be able to drive that car - and my later P100d - for a combined 4 1/2 years while you waited for your “range, performance, and technology....”

I’m feeling like a pretty lucky guy....

P.S. If you think the attention you get from non-owners and curious folks with your Model 3 is crazy (and it is), it was totally insane back in 2013 when a Tesla Model S was very rare and seldom seen. I was constantly cleaning finger and nose prints off my windows, and often spent 5 or 10 minutes in parking lots answering questions from curious folks. Those were really exciting times.

Funny. I ordered my P85 in June of 2013 and accepted delivery in Sept of 2013. I was lucky enough to be able to drive that car - and my later P100d - for a combined 4 1/2 years while you waited for your “range, performance, and technology....”

Definitely agree on this. Taking advantage of the natural progression of technology isn't necessarily luck right? If you work with a long enough time span, a buyer was able to take advantage and enjoy the best available product at the time. You have to discount the technological advantage of buying a Model 3 today with the opportunity cost of not having participated in ownership for the past 5 years or whatever. Same as saying that "why buy a Model 3 when you can wait 5 years and buy a flying Jetsons car" or whatnot. I think the luck/unlucky part comes when the timeframe is really short and you just miss the cutoff.

Reactions: lukex4 and dww12
“Free”? Have you seen the price of their cars? You should probably just say it’s included.

Ha, I don't know anything about the Chinese automotive market except what was on the recent Grand Tour Episode (which i thought was informative).

In any case I thought they were including EAP as an incentive before the tariff kicked back in. So they had very little time to build/deliver/sell as they could.

I’m feeling like a pretty lucky guy....

P.S. If you think the attention you get from non-owners and curious folks with your Model 3 is crazy (and it is), it was totally insane back in 2013 when a Tesla Model S was very rare and seldom seen. I was constantly cleaning finger and nose prints off my windows, and often spent 5 or 10 minutes in parking lots answering questions from curious folks. Those were really exciting times.

Definitely agree on this. Taking advantage of the natural progression of technology isn't necessarily luck right? If you work with a long enough time span, a buyer was able to take advantage and enjoy the best available product at the time. You have to discount the technological advantage of buying a Model 3 today with the opportunity cost of not having participated in ownership for the past 5 years or whatever. Same as saying that "why buy a Model 3 when you can wait 5 years and buy a flying Jetsons car" or whatnot. I think the luck/unlucky part comes when the timeframe is really short and you just miss the cutoff.

Owning a P85 in 2013 would have been very magical. I absolutely agree. There is value to have been able to enjoy Tesla's for many years ahead of the Model 3 owners.

However, I'm looking into deeper factors like opportunity cost and relative strength of "value" to determine optimal entry points. Relative strength tells us that the position was better to take a Model 3 in Feb 2018 than in Feb 2019.

I took lots of flack for declaring the 3P an absolutely bargain and a destroyer of the Model S 75D. While many disagreed with me, in the end I was proven correct.

I myself argued in a different thread that its silly to wait for the 3SR where the 3MR is a better car for a sub 10% premium.

You could have bought a Model S or X at the WRONG time and got shredded on relative strength of value. Take a S delivery.. next week is refresh and AP1.

You couldn't really mistime a Model 3 purchase. That's why ALL of them are "lucky".

Please learn 200A concepts before preaching 1A concepts to me. "Wait 50 years for a flying car. Better than your Model 3". LMAO

Ahem.... 3PD+ owner here (to be specific, Tesla Model 3 Performance with Performance upgrade and all possible options, save white interior) with 19" SNOW tires (from TSportLine because Tesla won't sell snow tires for this car), I'm definitely not afraid of snow. I've driven in sub zero Fahrenheit, like -20F, through snow storms, 6" of snow on the roads, and no problems whatsoever (except for a slash in a tire wall) with big trucks and 4x4 vehicles sliding all over the place. Technically the best vehicle I have ever owned, save for Tesla service shenanigans, but that's another story. I'd also add free supercharging for life which is worth a lot to me because I've already put 17000 miles on the car since November 2018.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck
I am very happy to be in this luck category:

But I wonder if there is a "stealth" lucky Category out there:

Owners who ordered Model 3 AWD during the 2018 Q3 chaotic 5000 cars per week ramp up and received 3P- due to accidental software unlock. (It's possible. There were reports of owners who ordered 3P- and got AWD on day of delivery. Why not the other way around?)

These owners are probably lying low and trying to avoid any publicity for fear of getting discovered and having their cars software-locked to AWD again.

Reactions: MXWing