Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Categories of most screwed Tesla owners.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MXWing

Oct 13, 2016
USA
In light of today's price drop, I'd thought I'd post the new updated rankings for "most screwed". Feel free to debate and I'll update my list if good cases are made.

1 - Those who took delivery of S/X AP1 cars right before AP2 release.
2 - Model S P85 owners that bought cars that were far less powerful than advertised.
3 - Model S/X owners who bought 90D/P100D and took free supercharging with the knowledge 100D wasn't going to get it. Guess what, 100D did get it.
4 - Those who leased AP2 cars at introduction.
5 - Model S P85 owners who missed the window for ludicrious upgrade.
6 - Model S/X 60D owners who unlocked their batteries too early.
7 - Model 3P- owners who could have gotten free Performance upgrade package.
8 - Model 3P+ owners with white seats and keeping FUSC.
9 - Model 3 owners who took delivery between Jan 1st, 2019 and February 4th, 2019.

This list has helped me figure who has the fastest, cheapest, bestest Tesla.

My neighbor.

Tagging @AnxietyRanger who also maintains lists and might be amused. ;)

It hurts I'm on my 3rd payment and the cars price is way less for a better car.

These things depreciate faster than throwing money into the fireplace.

3P- with $5,000 back is a monster deal compared to an AWD buyer in 2018. Are you counting the FTC being $3,750 less?

Actually, I think AWD buyers might slip into #8 or #9 because many I bet would have gone up to 3P- if they knew a 5K rebate was coming. FUSC was a wash because they weren't getting it as AWD anyway.

Last edited:
Every single person except for the early AP2 buyers got what they paid for.

Of course. I understand what you mean. "Most screwed" was in quotes and Tesla doesn't owe anyone anything. This is more so an illustration that "losing" $1,100 overnight is not much compared to the 8-9 things before it.

I was one of the those AP2 guys that didn't get cruise control day of delivery. Tesla was really cool about the free uncork however, and I will be happy the day HW3 goes into the car.

In light of today's price drop, I'd thought I'd post the new updated rankings for "most screwed". Feel free to debate and I'll update my list if good cases are made.

2 - Model S P85 owners that bought cars that were far less powerful than advertised.
3 - Model S/X owners who bought 90D/P100D and took free supercharging with the knowledge 100D wasn't going to get it. Guess what, 100D did get it.
9 - Model 3 owners who took delivery between Jan 1st, 2019 and February 4th, 2019.

My neighbor.

I would certainly add those who bought a P85 just before the P85D came out. They missed out on...

+ AWD
+ Autopilot
+ Much better acceleration
All for a very marginal price increase.

And then they also faced greater depreciation because the P85Ds are holding their value better than the last P85s that rolled out before the P85D.

Another group of people who bought a car just before the front facelift.

But you know what, at the end of the day this is all progress and we should not want it any other way. We should be happy Tesla updates and improves their vehicles so quickly and even a 2014 Tesla is still better than anything else available by any other car manufacturer in 2019!

Can't wait to see what they have in store for the Model S in the future...

Last edited:

My neighbor.

People who bought the dual motor non performance at 55K price 4 months ago. If they included white interior they were screwed for an extra $500.

Keep in mind that those received free supercharging for 6-9 months. Whether that is worth $1100, that’s a separate question. But I wouldn’t call it screwed.

Definitely not worth $1,100. Nighttime charging even in expensive SoCal is like 12 cents a kwh. Transit time, additional miles, wear/tear, waiting to charge, potential to get stabbed at congested SC. (Edited. not sure why I said 8. TOU-B is 12 cents). Thanks for calling out @gilscales

Not quite. 100D only has free supercharging for the first owner. 90D/P100D has it for the life of the car.

Yes, that is an important distinction but I think nearly all would take the 100D with one owner FUSC than the 90D/P100D. 90kw battery packs were not the best unfortunately. Also, P100D has a tremendous price premium (like close to a 35K Model 3) so the perks are "priced in".

But you know what, at the end of the day this is all progress and we should not want it any other way. We should be happy Tesla updates and improves their vehicles so quickly and even a 2014 Tesla is still better than anything else available by any other car manufacturer in 2019!

This is so true. You know history before my time so yes, I wouldn't dare call myself an early adopter. hint, hint first time 3 owners ;)
Smackdown was heavier in relative terms for things changing quickly.

Where would you numerically place the P85 non D owners in the list above?

We can't have it both ways. We can't have cars that advance extremely quickly versus being locked into model years and generations that limit innovation.

People who bought the dual motor non performance at 55K price 4 months ago. If they included white interior they were screwed for an extra $500.

Please remember to factor in the $3,750 FTC loss. While not everyone can take it, it is a reasoning why Tesla is basically forced to reduce and absorb some of that.

Rectangle is a big blow to consumer purchasing power. I haven no idea how GM is gonna handle this after March 2019.

upload_2019-2-6_0-25-38.png

Last edited:
Let's see, I could have had an AWD for $900 more than my car cost! oh wait, plus the $3,750 of federal tax rebate so $4,650 more for AWD, wait a minute? isn't that right around where the AWD price increase was $5,000 then $4,000 then $6,000 then $5,000 oh I really don't remember, I'll just keep my "Unicorn for now RWD LR" until 5 or 6 years passes then get the latest Tesla has to offer in my price range at the time, maybe my car will be worth 20k by then since we drive the crap out of it, maybe less? we sure will have had a good time driving for 5 or 6 years though before I worry about that though!

Let's see, I could have had an AWD for $900 more than my car cost! oh wait, plus the $3,750 of federal tax rebate so $4,650 more for AWD, wait a minute? isn't that right around where the AWD price increase was $5,000 then $4,000 then $6,000 then $5,000 oh I really don't remember, I'll just keep my "Unicorn for now RWD LR" until 5 or 6 years passes then get the latest Tesla has to offer in my price range at the time, maybe my car will be worth 20k by then since we drive the crap out of it, maybe less? we sure will have had a good time driving for 5 or 6 years though before I worry about that though!

I actually think our LR RWD trim is holding its value better than other M3 trims, for a variety of reasons. It's the only car where I've almost considered selling it private party and going for a newer AWD because the depreciation loss is actually tolerable. But most likely I'll do what you said: keep the car for 5-6 years and re-evaluate. I'm almost at the 1 year mark and it's still really fun to drive.

Keep in mind that those received free supercharging for 6-9 months. Whether that is worth $1100, that’s a separate question. But I wouldn’t call it screwed.
No way that the free supercharging is worth $1100, unless you're driving cross country all the time. I've had my car since July and still haven't used more electricity than one month's electric bill on my house. One long trip, to Wisconsin and back, cost me just $77. The price drop is better.

Actually, I think AWD buyers might slip into #8 or #9 because many I bet would have gone up to 3P- if they knew a 5K rebate was coming.
I may indeed have done that. But I can't bring myself to think of myself as "screwed" in any way. It's a product I'm enjoying the hell out of, at a price that I found acceptable, at a time that I wanted it. Well I wanted it 2 months (2 years?) earlier, but aside from that. ;)

I would probably feel a lot more grumbly if I had bought a P- and was now waiting on a Track Mode update that may never arrive. :(

I'm not sure, were there any P- vehicles taken delivery of after Musk's infamous tweet that they'd be getting Track Mode? Now those would be people that'd have good cause to be right pissed if they went ahead and accepted delivery with that promise hanging out there.

Reactions: Pkmmte and MXWing
Early S100D purchase. No improved performance / uncork. No 72A charging or high performance audio included.

Oh well. I expect this to continue for a while. It has been said that EV will eventually be comparable to ICE pricing, that most likely happens one way...

It has been said that EV will eventually be comparable to ICE pricing, that most likely happens one way...
I consider that it has already happened for me. I bought a fairly loaded up BMW 340i xDrive at a fairly loaded up BMW 340i xDrive price.

But yes, as sticker parity spreads to a larger range of vehicles there's going to be price drops across the board because at the least it means they've lowered the battery pack cost significantly.

How could you forget :

0 : Anyone unfortunate enough to need parts from Tesla.

My neighbor.