Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Categories of most screwed Tesla owners.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well sorry guys but you'll get no sympathy from me. Tesla and all EV owners are on the bleeding edge of technology, early adopters, and as such every six months (or sooner) there will be something better and cheaper. And by the way, that's a good thing, and we should all want Tesla to survive and be profitable because if they aren't around our cars will really depreciate in value. I paid almost $2K for an IBM compatible XT computer with amber screen and a 10 meg hard drive back in the mid 1980's and at the time I was damn excited to have it. I was an early adopter. Thinking back that wasn't exactly a great long term computer solution especially considering what I spent in today's dollars! Yes, if you wait you can buy a Tesla for less and probably get a better car. But if you purchased a Tesla bite your tongue and enjoy your ride! And watch this damn video,

I know. Did the same. Should have put the $2K in Microsoft stock instead...

Early adopters always pay more. They get the thrill of owning something new and exciting. We all know that.

We are probably in the final years of car ownership. Within a few years, (when state governments approve) we won't need to own a car especially for those who live in or near large metropolitan cities. LA, SF, NY, Dallas, Chicago, Seattle, etc. Tesla, Uber, Lyft, Apple, Google, et al., all want to create a pool of full self-driving (FSD) cars that you can hail on your app to take you places and charge you a monthly-annual subscription to do it. There will be cars just driving around town waiting to be hailed for your use. All driver-less. No more Uber drivers in the front seat. Just you and the car. Your app tells it where to go. Your little kids today will never have to drive a car. The business model will then change to one that (1) builds cars for its own inventory, buys cars back from its owners to put into the car pool, (2) charges a fee to people who need a ride to go anywhere. Without having to buy a car, people will have that money to spend on other things.

Tesla has the best chance of making this happen because they have proven they can build a self-driving-auto pilot car. The next step is April 22 when they announce full autonomy FSD. Prices for ICE cars will probably drop dramatically because people will realize they've been living in the past for so long and most rational people will desire something new that makes their lives easier at a reasonable price. Prices for existing Teslas will also drop because (1) more price competition from new inventory, (2) more EV buying options from other car makers when they launch. Oil will stay up until momentum changes as more FSD EV's are put on the road, then oil will drop significantly. Entire industries associated with driving cars will probably depreciate into nothing or forced to change, such as insurance, aftermarket car parts, auto mechanics, gas stations, etc.

It makes sense. Uber 2018 revenue was $11.3 billion, Lyft was $2.2 billion. That's $13.5 billion in revenue, little more than 1/2 of the 2018 revenue for Tesla.
Uber-Lyft, et al., will continue to be a good business for them except when they no longer need to pay humans to drive, that picture looks even better. Margins will skyrocket. I think Tesla has a better opportunity to take their business and do it the way those guys intended to do it.

Side note: It will be amusing when you see someone driving a car next to you on the road while you're sitting back fooling around with your phone in the backseat of a driver-less car going to where ever it is your going. Akin to a Neanderthal and modern human living in the same time period.

Only thing I would add is Uber's FSD QA is terrible. We had a death here in AZ b/c they had disabled autobraking and the driver wasn't paying attention either. Waymo and I hope Tesla's version would be much better.

Do you think 4/22 will be another official price change?

Why 4/22? investor call?

My car will be delivered on Monday and heard that in June, Tesla will upgrade the interior and power terrain of Mode S. I guess soon I will join the “screwed Tesla Owner” list ‍♂️

you're only screwed if you keep the car (if you have since changed your mind). You can always reject the vehicle, or take it and return within 7 days and buy the new model in 3+ months.

Early adopters always pay more. They get the thrill of owning something new and exciting. We all know that.

We are probably in the final years of car ownership. Within a few years, (when state governments approve) we won't need to own a car especially for those who live in or near large metropolitan cities. LA, SF, NY, Dallas, Chicago, Seattle, etc. Tesla, Uber, Lyft, Apple, Google, et al., all want to create a pool of full self-driving (FSD) cars that you can hail on your app to take you places and charge you a monthly-annual subscription to do it. There will be cars just driving around town waiting to be hailed for your use. All driver-less. No more Uber drivers in the front seat. Just you and the car. Your app tells it where to go. Your little kids today will never have to drive a car. The business model will then change to one that (1) builds cars for its own inventory, buys cars back from its owners to put into the car pool, (2) charges a fee to people who need a ride to go anywhere. Without having to buy a car, people will have that money to spend on other things.

Tesla has the best chance of making this happen because they have proven they can build a self-driving-auto pilot car. The next step is April 22 when they announce full autonomy FSD. Prices for ICE cars will probably drop dramatically because people will realize they've been living in the past for so long and most rational people will desire something new that makes their lives easier at a reasonable price. Prices for existing Teslas will also drop because (1) more price competition from new inventory, (2) more EV buying options from other car makers when they launch. Oil will stay up until momentum changes as more FSD EV's are put on the road, then oil will drop significantly. Entire industries associated with driving cars will probably depreciate into nothing or forced to change, such as insurance, aftermarket car parts, auto mechanics, gas stations, etc.

It makes sense. Uber 2018 revenue was $11.3 billion, Lyft was $2.2 billion. That's $13.5 billion in revenue, little more than 1/2 of the 2018 revenue for Tesla.
Uber-Lyft, et al., will continue to be a good business for them except when they no longer need to pay humans to drive, that picture looks even better. Margins will skyrocket. I think Tesla has a better opportunity to take their business and do it the way those guys intended to do it.

Side note: It will be amusing when you see someone driving a car next to you on the road while you're sitting back fooling around with your phone in the backseat of a driver-less car going to where ever it is your going. Akin to a Neanderthal and modern human living in the same time period.
It will happen eventually.
I don't think it will happen within the next 5 years.
I will own a car for the joy of driving it until I am too old to drive.

I look at my Tesla purchase exactly like buying a computer:

1) Depending on the time you're going to pay a premium on certain parts
2) Depending on the timing you're going to get a really good deal
3) Whatever I buy today is going to be outperformed by something at the same or better price very soon.
4) Via patches/upgrades what I buy today is going to benefit from new features if I chose to install/get them.
5) Eventually what I bought is going to be worth very little/become obsolete

I view 1-5 as perfectly acceptable as long as I am satisfied with what I am getting for what I paid for it the day I made the purchase.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker