Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cats and Teslas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

wdolson

Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2015
Clark Co, WA
I don't know if it's just my experience or if cats seem to be better riding in Teslas than ICEs. We had our 21 year old cat have his last health episode two weeks after getting the car. He had three rides back and forth to the vet before the end, and he seemed to be more at peace in the car than in either of the old ICEs, though he wasn't feeling so hot. He had spinal stenosis that finally crippled his back legs. We didn't find out what it was until the end.

Now we have two 5 month old kittens who have both ridden in the Model S a few times. One for what turned into a 3 hour ride back from the breeder and a supercharger stop. The other was shell shocked after being rejected from two homes due to allergies (they are Siberians which can be low allergen and this cat had tested super low, but they think it was a false positive). She had been from Portland to Oakland, CA, then Anchorage, before coming back to Portland. She was shell shocked from all the traveling and rejection, but she was completely calm on the trip home.

Both have since been to the vet in the car and they were again very mellow compared to other cats I've had in the car.

I was just wondering if others have had similar experiences with cats in their car.

And just because it happened this afternoon, a gratuitous picture of the cats looking at the car...

CatsAndTesla.jpg

LOL, I was hoping this was a re-opening of a famous thread from long ago...
Cats on my Roadster!

I don't have a Tesla (yet), but I do have 1 cat that rides terrible in cars. She gets sick, super stressed, panting, etc etc. Always fun. But since I got my Volt, she seems to ride easier in it than any of my prior ICE cars. I think it's a combination of no engine noise and no gears. I think we don't realize how non-smooth accelerating in a normal car is, since we are so used to the gear shifts that we ignore them. She is still stressed, but it does seem way better.

Reactions: bonnie and Ormond
You had me at cats!

My 3 still hate it. Luckily, our vet is less than a mile away, and the trip is through residential streets. I have an actual scaredy cat (literally afraid of his own shadow), a crotchety old lady, and Charlie, the 17 lbs of awesome mini panther. Guess who's the biggest baby in the car?