Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cats on my Roadster!

bonnie

I play a nice person on twitter.
Feb 6, 2011
Columbia River Gorge
My high-tech solution until the static-discharge mats arrive (note one of the offenders watching from the top of the Prius):

April2011

(if image doesn't load, can be found at Picasa Web Albums - Bonnie Norman - April 2011 )

vfx

Aug 18, 2006
CA CA
The soft top on my old 124 spider was a cat magnet too. Again, the problem of cat permanence has gone away. I know they cruise all the cars as they are not covered so prints show and there is no reason to believe they skip the small electric one. We have the green outdoor Cal cover not the silky Tesla cover Bonnie shows so maybe it's not as luxurious...

bonnie

Feb 6, 2011
Columbia River Gorge
Is there a small light in the garage? Have you tried hanging old CD's or mirrors on a thread at the side of and around the car? Apparently cats don't like the moving reflections.

These two cats would just use them as a grooming aid. To put it in perspective, they lived outside in the rocks for over a year before I moved in and gave them a safe place to live. They dealt with raccoons, coyotes, and other predators (plus weather of all kinds). Shiny CDs just aren't on the list of scary things. :)

For now, the boxes work. I've tried finding a home for them (really, two nice cats ... will come with full vet checkups and a month's worth of food if anyone is interested). But I think we'll just find a way to live together. One of my labs has been eyeing the Roadster ever since he saw it with the top off. He may be my new problem. I'm just glad he doesn't have opposable thumbs, or he'd be in the car already.

• Funny
Reactions: DrGuest

mpt

Electrics are back
Supporting Member
Oct 15, 2008
Warren, New Jersey, United States
I understand that the CDs create irritating reflections that stop them from settling so they move on. It worked with my house cats, one of whom does have opposable thumbs as she's a Polydactyl cat It's a shame she doesn't really understand the benefit, she could, with some imagination and determination rise to rule all of cat kind.

vfx

Aug 18, 2006
CA CA
The cats would think it's a 70's disco and get all funky-town with them. CDs hanging is a bird deterrent with a questionable success rate.

I once saw a tiny mouse on my pem so the cats are welcome to hang out and snack all they like.

doug

Administrator / Head Moderator
Nov 28, 2006
SF Bay Area
One of my labs has been eyeing the Roadster ever since he saw it with the top off. He may be my new problem. I'm just glad he doesn't have opposable thumbs, or he'd be in the car already.
One would think the labs would be enough of a deterrent for the cats.

bonnie

Feb 6, 2011
Columbia River Gorge
Win.

(I would not bother with this part in parentheses, but it appears that 'Win.' is only 4 characters and posts are required to be 5 characters or more.) Love the LOLCats and the video and hearing about a cat with opposable thumbs. And yes, the labs would LIKE to be a deterrent, but the cats just get on top of the Roadster when dogs are spotted, so it kind of backfires.

NigelM

Recovering Member
Apr 3, 2011
Northern Virginia
Solution...

I had the same problem with a Z3 and the solution was to sprinkle some large amounts of pepper around the car. For good measure I also sprinkled pepper on the car for a couple of days.

(Cats don't like pepper and they are fast learners)

That did the trick - no more cats and an environmentally friendly solution!

Dragon

Dec 6, 2010
Italy
Now don't go and try to salt your car!
Well, I too did read somewhere that pepper should work. Maybe you used too little of it?

But I think the only 100% effective way is too close your Roadster away in a garage.

bonnie

Feb 6, 2011
Columbia River Gorge
Not on the Roadster itself of course.

Nor on the floor of my garage around the car!!

I'm going back to "car cover plus an empty box on the soft top" strategy. The pepper ON the car (yes, in the garage) seemed not to work. It takes less than a minute to cover the car.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC