TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Cause of door wind noise found and fixed....

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by sorka, May 28, 2017.

1. sorka

sorka Active Member

During the last service visit which was mainly a request to fix various sources of wind noise, one of my complaints was wind noise near the drivers door near the back.

Tesla was not able to find the cause of it so when I got it back, I pulled the panel off and removed the inner panel access cover. Here's what I found:

[​IMG]

There's a rubber cover with an asphalt bead that fits over the back of the door handle module. There are holes on the cover that fit over pins sticking out the back of the door handle module and the bead fits in a channel that goes around the perimeter of the module. The entire rubber cover had fallen off and was hanging by a single zip tie on the bottom.

I pressed it back into place and used a heat gun around the perimeter and then pressed firmly again all the way around. It's firmly attached now. I suspect it will come lose again in another 20K miles but now I know what that particular wind noise sounds like.

I stupidly didn't take a picture of the cover after reapplying but I'll get the passenger door which I'm doing next.

• Informative x 8
    • Helpful x 3
    • Love x 1
  2. SMAlset

SMAlset Member

So do you think the wind was getting in through the door handle then? Curious if you had your door handle replaced prior to this at any point.

3. Smurf66

Smurf66 New Member

Just had the driver's door handle replaced on my Model S - and now sounds like the window is just slightly open when its fully shut! I think you may have resolved a problem created in the process of solving another!

4. sorka

sorka Active Member

#4 sorka, May 29, 2017
    Last edited: May 29, 2017
    Just took off the passenger side front door panel:

[​IMG]

Found the same thing. Here's the asphalt bead that sits in the channel of the perimeter:

[​IMG]

After re-applying with heat gun:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Informative x 5
    • Helpful x 1
  5. epoints

epoints Member

wow, you must be very handy and brave....I have a wind noise problem just after taking delivery this weekend but I would not dream of doing this.... cheers.

• Like x 1
  6. Btr_ftw

Btr_ftw Court Jester

Nice job.

If it gets hot enough they will slide down and back off. There are other areas in the car to watch out for as well