Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cause of door wind noise found and fixed....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

sorka

Feb 28, 2015
Merced, CA
During the last service visit which was mainly a request to fix various sources of wind noise, one of my complaints was wind noise near the drivers door near the back.

Tesla was not able to find the cause of it so when I got it back, I pulled the panel off and removed the inner panel access cover. Here's what I found:

20170528_190838-X2.jpg

There's a rubber cover with an asphalt bead that fits over the back of the door handle module. There are holes on the cover that fit over pins sticking out the back of the door handle module and the bead fits in a channel that goes around the perimeter of the module. The entire rubber cover had fallen off and was hanging by a single zip tie on the bottom.

I pressed it back into place and used a heat gun around the perimeter and then pressed firmly again all the way around. It's firmly attached now. I suspect it will come lose again in another 20K miles but now I know what that particular wind noise sounds like.

I stupidly didn't take a picture of the cover after reapplying but I'll get the passenger door which I'm doing next.

During the last service visit which was mainly a request to fix various sources of wind noise, one of my complaints was wind noise near the drivers door near the back.

Tesla was not able to find the cause of it so when I got it back, I pulled the panel off and removed the inner panel access cover. Here's what I found:

20170528_190838-X2.jpg

There's a rubber cover with an asphalt bead that fits over the back of the door handle module. There are holes on the cover that fit over pins sticking out the back of the door handle module and the bead fits in a channel that goes around the perimeter of the module. The entire rubber cover had fallen off and was hanging by a single zip tie on the bottom.

I pressed it back into place and used a heat gun around the perimeter and then pressed firmly again all the way around. It's firmly attached now. I suspect it will come lose again in another 20K miles but now I know what that particular wind noise sounds like.

I stupidly didn't take a picture of the cover after reapplying but I'll get the passenger door which I'm doing next.
Just had the driver's door handle replaced on my Model S - and now sounds like the window is just slightly open when its fully shut! I think you may have resolved a problem created in the process of solving another!