Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Caution - Annual Service - Car power-down - GPS issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just want to confirm how to check if my Roadster is affected by this issue. Based on what I read in this thread, I think the following statements are true. Can someone please confirm?
1. If your VDS has not been powered off since the week rollover issue started, you won't see the symptoms.
2. You need to pull the power on your VDS and plug it back in to test if you have this issue.
3. If the date/time is wrong on your VDS after power cycle, then you have this issue.

Per your questions based on what I and others have experienced. It doesn't seem to happen to every Roadster, but seems to be happening to a significant amount of them.
To be clear the VMS is the computer under the passenger seat with 2 connectors,
The VDS is the display on the center or left side ( 1.5's).
Resetting the VDS does not pull the power from the OEM GPS unit, only pulling power from the VMS will do that!

1. If your VDS has not been powered off since the week rollover issue started, you won't see the symptoms.
Its not the VDS but the VMS computer, but normally yes, it only seems to occur when the OEM onboard GPS connected to the VMS is powered down or the whole car is shut down for PEM cleaning.​

2. You need to pull the power on your VDS and plug it back in to test if you have this issue.
As stated above its the VMS computer NOT the VDS display that needs to be reset. But in reference to your questions, Yes, that should power down the GPS and reset it. Once its reset or the VMS is reset, you should see the "weird" date issue.​

3. If the date/time is wrong on your VDS after power cycle, then you have this issue
Seems some of the cars show the right time, just the date is off. Altitude and direction show correctly in the VDS, just the time is wrong. It will also show up in your car logs when you extract themas well. All the dates of each LOG entry will be based on the erroneous date/time stamp used by the VMS computer

Hope this helps!​

Besides messing up the logs, and the wrong date on the VMS Clock page, what is the impact of having the issue? I.e., before doing the "test" to see if you have the issue, and therefore causing it if you do, what is the downside of knowing?

Nothing that prevents you from driving the car.

It threw a "service maintenance required" alert as the date went ahead upon reset.

TPMS also seemed to have an issue until it was fixed for some reason. Couldnt lock that one down as to why.

The logs, and the clock were wrong. I didnt see anything really besides that which caused errors. The logs were the most frustrating as you couldn't really see any errors if one popped up without hunting for it with software.

Yes a harness can be built to upgrade it. You'll need the connector for the GPS unit itself and mate it to a rs232 plus 5V power. Then a USB to RS232 so you can run the software on most computers WITHOUT a RS232 jack.

I'll make a harness and parts needed when I get back next week. Post everything needed or just ship it around to whoever needs it to the group since its only a one time fix.

Build the harness and it's easy enough to update the Garmin. I discovered a Tesla tech who has built one for upgrades and was immensely helpful; the biggest PITA ia actually accessing the unit.

Unfortunately, I was also told that every Roadster will be affected sooner or later. Biggest issue really is the timestamp on the logs.

So, is there a "proper" Tesla procedure to update the firmware on the GPS unit, or is this something every SC will have to hack together on their own? Given the impact to the entire fleet, they've got to have, or come up with, a proper fix. The bad logs will trip up their diagnostics as much as they do ours.

They ( Tesla SC's) have the fix on a TSB and there is a cable harness that needs to be made to apply the fix.

I worked on it with Tesla, giving them all the details of the issue and fix, software versions, etc, so I know there is one, just not sure of what the TSB number is.

The charge for Tesla to do it is $550.00

I argued it should have been part of my "Annual Service" I paid $600.00 for since it was CAUSED by the annual service, and its a firmware issue and they are supposed to upgrade all the firmware as part of the annual.

Doing it yourself, The biggest PIA is getting to the unit and removing the driver front tire.

Well Finally back on USA soil, so as promised, 'll make a harness this weekend and test, once I have all the parts listed and have it working, ill post the procedure. its fairly simple and should cost more than maybe $20.00 in parts plus a USB to RS-232 adapter on your computer.

I did it to the one on my 33 foot express cruisers boat which has the same OEM unit just a different adapter plug vs the one Tesla used.

Had to update it to version 4.20 to get the date to work again properly.

I can ship my one im making to anyone who want to use it as its going to be a one time use anyway.... just pay for shipping and send to next user who wants it..

• Helpful
Reactions: tvuolo and hcsharp
So, is there a "proper" Tesla procedure to update the firmware on the GPS unit, or is this something every SC will have to hack together on their own? Given the impact to the entire fleet, they've got to have, or come up with, a proper fix. The bad logs will trip up their diagnostics as much as they do ours.

Yes there is a Tesla TSB on how to update and apply the fix.

Can I confirm (I just woke up) that an update is required not a new unit, your first post indicated this?
I think I'm correct the only issue is making a patch lead, make it long to not have to get intimate with the front hub, power it via a usb via a computer and update the firmware.?
Mac or 4.20 firmware Garmin: GPS 73 (GCD file) Updates & Downloads
Does it have to be 4.2 as there is a lot newer versions (4.20 may be required to update to newer versions)?
So many questions I'm sorry.
I guess you have to use a USB for power?? I had to make a lead similar to plug into an open inverter board for my Tesla motor, should we be using a hub for power or will a computer port be okay as the plug wiring shows it has 12v power normally.
Thanks for posting this. I'm sure although its only 1200 car, thy will all eventually need doing, along with upgraded brake discs, one at a time is a good way to do it.

YES its ONLY a firmware update to the OEM Garmin 18x Unit.
The replacement parts originally from Tesla had the same issue as they ALSO had the older firmware.

PIC of the TESLA OEM GPS16X LVC installed under the drivers side headlight
sam_2435-jpg.394386

Tehc specs on the unit with some wiring instructions if you are so inclined.
https://static.garmincdn.com/pumac/GPS_18x_Tech_Specs.pdf

Garmin Site for the unit
Garmin GPS 18x OEM™ | Sensor

The OEM unit in the car is the 18x LVXC 5m

you will need to wire this to a 5 volt PS per the tech specs and connect to a RS232 cable and A plug for the matching

Tesla Connector (794895-1)

upload_2019-9-9_13-41-50.png

then a USB to RS232 to attach it to the computer as most laptops / computers today do not have RS232 ports.

Software is located here
Garmin: GPS 18x PC/LVC Updates & Downloads

4.20 is what I installed to fix the issue but looks like there was a bug discovered and now the most current software is 4.30

upload_2019-9-9_13-44-55.png

You will need to run SNSRXCFG program and provide the serial port number and the firmware file. It fairly quick once its set up.

The detailed software instructions

Garmin: GPS 18x PC/LVC Updates & Downloads

I still need to put a parts list and my instructions on how I did it, just been a crazy week since I got back.

Hopefully with what I have provided, those with some skills can do the upgrade on their own, instead of paying Tesla $550.00 for just a SOFTWARE upgrade.

good luck!

• Informative
Reactions: Roadster and shrink
Do those wires go anywhere more accessible than at the unit itself? I'm wondering if it can be accessed without taking the front of the car apart...

I was as well. I was thinking about trying to get at it from the VMS back connectors ( black or blue one) as they seem to be directly tied to it. I just cant get a schematic of the connector to figure out the right wires.

Getting to the unit is a PIA. Very similar to replacing the 12V batter in the 2x Roadsters, just on the opposite side.

I was at the SC today (long story, different topic, not over), and asked about the GPS issue. They hadn't heard of it, but did some checking. Finally got in touch with someone in product engineering, and they both acknowledged the issue, and said that they were working on the TSB and were planning to provide the firmware and required cable to the service centers. No ETA, however.

GPS antenna end connector is FHC95
1 Black
2 Red
3 Black
4 Green
5 White
6 n/c

I see VMS connector FHC46 has
1 n/c
2 n/c
3 n/c
4 n/c
5 n/c
6 Red
7 White
8 Green
9 Black
10 n/c

No idea if they are connected, but it seems to match.

Any update on the current status of the TSB? My car goes in for its annual service on Monday and when I asked the service advisor whether they had a cable and would perform this firmware update, both he and the tech seemed to be unaware of it -- the response was about updating the Roadster VMS firmware. I keep all my log data and don't want the timestamps to be incorrect. I may have to cobble together my own cable (perhaps just with clip leads) before Monday. I have not figured out yet, though, how to do the update from a Mac laptop.

Is the power necessarily shut off for the annual service? (My car is a 1.5 in case that makes a difference.)

Is the power necessarily shut off for the annual service? (My car is a 1.5 in case that makes a difference.)
I don't know about the 1.5, but my 2.0 has had the PEM pulled several times as a result of the annually botched annual service (PEM Fan connector this time), and the car still has the right date. OVMSv3 lost power, but the GPS apparently did not.