Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Caution Model X, Hidden Tire Wear

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When this happened to me, to both rear tires while on a road trip, I did a deep dive of the subject on the internet. By far the conclusion seems to be this goes with the territory, be it pre or post Raven, height setting, driving style, etc. My wear was very similar, inside destroyed, while outside not down to the wear bars. Typical mileage seems to be about 25k and time to replace. Consensus seems to be reducing negative rear camber would help, but is not adjustable. I have not had a similar issue with front tires.

Reactions: Genie
since I have over 200,000 miles on my model S I've gone through a lot of tires. They were all wearing inside edges on the back and I went to Tesla and told them it was nuts how fast they were going. Finally they replaced both rear hubs and all the associated hardware and it seems to be doing the trick. Maybe it was also alignment.

Reactions: RossRAllen
I checked my X 2019 Raven at 25,288. They appear to be fine and probably can do another 5K no problem. the front driver side had a tad more wear on the inside vs the passenger front but thats because the Iast 2000 miles I was too lazy to deflate them 2 psi when all the others were the same at around 42psi. I dont have default low ride setting on. Mine is constantly on standard height. I also rarely carry a heavy load.

Reactions: Falcon73
I checked my X 2019 Raven at 25,288. They appear to be fine and probably can do another 5K no problem. the front driver side had a tad more wear on the inside vs the passenger front but thats because the Iast 2000 miles I was too lazy to deflate them 2 psi when all the others were the same at around 42psi. I dont have default low ride setting on. Mine is constantly on standard height. I also rarely carry a heavy load.
Are you checking the innermost rear tread? Put the car in the highest suspension and reach in and feel the tire to be sure, as you do not want a surprise on the road. Just seems odd since rear camber appears to be the issue, and it is not adjustable on your car, as it is not on mine. I am not adverse to frequent tire replacement, but would like to see even wear and more of a total contact patch.

Reactions: glusc2002
Thank God I stumbled upon this thread the other night. Thanks to @Steinmetz and everyone else that contributed on this. I am in the middle of a family spring break road trip from NY to FL and we're supposed to drive back up to NY on Saturday. Once I caught this thread on Tuesday night, I immediately checked my tires and low and behold, the inner tire wear was really bad and just as described. From the outside, they look perfectly fine and could definitely get through the 2400 mile round trip with no problems, but the inside were bad.

I documented my adventures over the past 2 days on this thread.

I thought I'd cross post them to serve as a PSA. Please check your tires.

This is a common problem in any sports car.

The easiest solution is to flip the tires after about 10-15k miles.
My local tire shop does not like flipping old tires so I tend to err on flipping tires with lots of tread still left. 5mm tread depth which is usually 10k miles ish

I also run my car in normal ride height to reduce the camber tire wear as the camber is less in normal than low

Reactions: Falcon73
This is a common problem in any sports car.

The easiest solution is to flip the tires after about 10-15k miles.
My local tire shop does not like flipping old tires so I tend to err on flipping tires with lots of tread still left. 5mm tread depth which is usually 10k miles ish

I also run my car in normal ride height to reduce the camber tire wear as the camber is less in normal than low

assuming your tires are not directional, this is the way to go

btw, saw you have te37s on your X. do you have pics? I've been wondering what a bronze set would look like on mine!

assuming your tires are not directional, this is the way to go

btw, saw you have te37s on your X. do you have pics? I've been wondering what a bronze set would look like on mine!

Attachments

• IMG_20170513_150326720_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20170513_150326720_HDR.jpg
    785.6 KB · Views: 561
  • IMG_20170513_150253856.jpg
    IMG_20170513_150253856.jpg
    693.4 KB · Views: 204
any more info on the wheel size and offsets? they look tiny on the x lol. I have the same color X, I think we are twins.

nice 997, so glad i did the 5 lug conversion. opened up a world of wheels for me! always have a spot for the te37
IMG_20150618_152344.jpg

Same issue here. Rear tires inner tread was bald with threads showing. I had Tesla SC perform an alignment noting the inner wear. I asked them to specifically align it in standard height. That seemed to do the trick. I have put 60k on two sets of tires since with not inner wear issues. Seems like their factory alignment is off with all cars produced. So, I would recommend getting the alignment done as soon as possible. BTW I have 20s

Are you checking the innermost rear tread? Put the car in the highest suspension and reach in and feel the tire to be sure, as you do not want a surprise on the road. Just seems odd since rear camber appears to be the issue, and it is not adjustable on your car, as it is not on mine. I am not adverse to frequent tire replacement, but would like to see even wear and more of a total contact patch.
I checked again, mine look fine, ill take a picture and note the mileage. I didnt see anything concerning.

This what my rear stock tires looked like after 30K miles... I kept on checking the outside of the tire and looked fine ... only to get a flat because of the inside wear.... it is the weight of the car that makes the tire lean in. The 3rd photo shows the type of tire.
Since you never take the car in for anything because of remote updates... look out for this problem.
Then next point that should give you a lot of anxiety is the wear of the front brakes.... they will wear all the way down with no warning.

Attachments

• IMG_1739.jpeg
    IMG_1739.jpeg
    579.2 KB · Views: 247
  • IMG_1740.jpeg
    IMG_1740.jpeg
    592.4 KB · Views: 248
  • IMG_1741.jpeg
    IMG_1741.jpeg
    725.8 KB · Views: 244
I climbed under my car yesterday. At about 26k miles the back insides are completely worn out but metal is not showing yet. I had adjusted to 65 mph the lowering setting from 55 in the last tire set. I had gotten close to 29k but part of that was riding on metal so I feel my mileage is exactly the same and the lowering setting had no affect.

So I will monitor the rears weekly and as soon as I see any hint of metal it will be off to get new tires.

I got 40k on my OEM tires before going through that dilemma I posted above. Prior to leaving for FL (from NY), I knew I would need to replace them soon - but upon inspecting them from the outside, they were all showing pretty decent depth still so I figured, we'd do the trip and when we return, I'll replace them all. Thank God I stumbled upon this thread.

While we're on the subject of tires, I replaced the stock OEM Conti's with Michelin CrossClimate SUV tires. They have a unique thread pattern and I noticed a big difference in tire noise. Definitely much quieter. I highly recommend them over the stock Continentals.