Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Caution Model X, Hidden Tire Wear

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been monitoring this thread for a while and amazed that people are getting 20-30K on the OEM tires.

My first set of OEM tires (Continental Crosscontact LX Sport) had to be replaced before 10K miles - rear got so worn out that the metal was showing on the inside where I couldn't see and didn't know to check - so, it just started leaking - got a flat. At that time Tesla was "nice" about warranty and replaced the tires under warranty with the same make and model tires. This original set of tires was mostly driven on standard height - only about 2 month before tires gave out, I had shudder fixed and switched to low suspension height.

The second OEM set of tires had to be replaced at 12K miles - same problem: inner wear on rear to metal to flat. When second set was installed, I asked for wheel alignment to be done on low (whether Tesla did it or not, I dont know) and driven at low settings all the time.

Now I'm on my third set of tires (installed Pirelli Scorpion Verde A/S Plus II) and only have 22K miles on my car (2017 X). I'm very mellow driver, all mileage street (no highways), suspension is on low and I requested for aliment to be done on low again when tires were installed.

What's eating my tires?

I've been monitoring this thread for a while and amazed that people are getting 20-30K on the OEM tires.

My first set of OEM tires (Continental Crosscontact LX Sport) had to be replaced before 10K miles - rear got so worn out that the metal was showing on the inside where I couldn't see and didn't know to check - so, it just started leaking - got a flat. At that time Tesla was "nice" about warranty and replaced the tires under warranty with the same make and model tires. This original set of tires was mostly driven on standard height - only about 2 month before tires gave out, I had shudder fixed and switched to low suspension height.

The second OEM set of tires had to be replaced at 12K miles - same problem: inner wear on rear to metal to flat. When second set was installed, I asked for wheel alignment to be done on low (whether Tesla did it or not, I dont know) and driven at low settings all the time.

Now I'm on my third set of tires (installed Pirelli Scorpion Verde A/S Plus II) and only have 22K miles on my car (2017 X). I'm very mellow driver, all mileage street (no highways), suspension is on low and I requested for aliment to be done on low again when tires were installed.

What's eating my tires?
I had similar experience with Conti's. My MS had the OEM conti's and I got 16k miles before we replaced them again with the same tires and got about 18k on those. Then I replaced them with Michelins and I'm about 36k on those. I have an appt to replace them this Friday with the same set of Michelins.

Try Michelins on your next set and based on my experience, I'm willing to bet you'll get about double on what you've been getting from Conti's and Pirelli's.

I had similar experience with Conti's. My MS had the OEM conti's and I got 16k miles before we replaced them again with the same tires and got about 18k on those. Then I replaced them with Michelins and I'm about 36k on those. I have an appt to replace them this Friday with the same set of Michelins.

Try Michelins on your next set and based on my experience, I'm willing to bet you'll get about double on what you've been getting from Conti's and Pirelli's.
Just to be clear, the wear issue was on the rear inside tires? I would be delighted to correct the issue by buying Michelin tires since they are one of my preferred brands. I just do not see how the tire design can correct the excessive, non-adjustable rear camber. I realize the inner tread blocks can be different design or compound, perhaps targeted toward Tesla or other cars with similar issues. What size tires, and Michelin model are you now using?

Just to be clear, the wear issue was on the rear inside tires? I would be delighted to correct the issue by buying Michelin tires since they are one of my preferred brands. I just do not see how the tire design can correct the excessive, non-adjustable rear camber. I realize the inner tread blocks can be different design or compound, perhaps targeted toward Tesla or other cars with similar issues. What size tires, and Michelin model are you now using?
No, separate issue. Tires wearing pre-maturely is a camber/alignment issue, not a tire brand issue. I was simply commenting that I tend to get more mileage out of Michelin tires than the OEM Conti's. Sorry if it lead to confusion.

A few weeks ago I switched out my winter wheel and tire set for summer wheels and tires and had exactly the same experience. Inner rear tread down to metal, while outer showing almost full tread. Less than 10,000 miles (admittedly soft winter compounds). I’m regularly doing 75mph on the I-70 and I-25 with a family of 5 and was absolutely horrified to imagine what a blowout with a full car at those speeds would look like.

Most of my miles are highway miles, (the vehicle drops to Low automatically) and after all the research, like many of you here I realized it was the camber issue augmented by limited toe adjustment exacerbated by the low setting at freeway speeds.

After a lot of research, and a fair bit of procrastinating I was finally convinced that there was an answer and after talking and emailing Don at N2ITIVE https://n2itive.me, (the website is extremely helpful), I was convinced his product was the right way to go. Essentially (in layman’s terms that I understand) installing the kit gives the capability for greater range of camber and toe adjustment not present in the fixed arms from factory, allowing you to dial in recommended settings at your preferred ride height.

I ordered the parts online and within a week they’d arrived and I’ve just had them installed by Tony and the team at https://www.evfixme.com. Because I’m on the freeways a lot, I had them align my setup based on Low setting. I went one step further and installed the lowering links to eliminate shudder and binding stress on front half shafts. Don was great and found me an installer in Colorado, but i wanted to go with the EVFIXme team based on their video.

I can’t comment yet on whether or not this solves the problem - that’ll take at least a few months of driving and checking against baseline tread wear - but theoreticslly it makes sense. I’ll say the vehicle felt better after the install and aligament (highly subjective and likely a placebo affect on my part). In addition the EVFIXme team had the Tesla Offer front trunk kit in stock and I pulled the trigger on that as well.

Sorry for the long post - but I hope this helps someone else given we have a shared problem here.

2020 Model X - Performance Raven

Note the before values are after the install but before the alignment, but I think somewhat indicative of how bad the alignment was ex: factory.

Attachments

• 7C6B76B1-5754-4D06-BD94-465DDE2939B0.jpeg
    7C6B76B1-5754-4D06-BD94-465DDE2939B0.jpeg
    448.3 KB · Views: 165
I replaced all 4 OEM tires on a late 2018 MX at around 44K miles. I stumbled on the tire issue on TMC when I had around 30K miles and every time I took it to the SC since then, they said I was fine. Even at about 44K they said I would be able to get more out of them and even they seemed surprised. I got them replaced at that point because I did not want to take more chances. I had SC do alignment too although it might have been cheaper elsewhere.

I always drive on low. No idea how mine lasted so long but I do regular pressure checks as I drive a lot. I'll keep checking the new tires (same as the OEMs) regularly once I hit the 20K miles again.

I replaced all 4 OEM tires on a late 2018 MX at around 44K miles. I stumbled on the tire issue on TMC when I had around 30K miles and every time I took it to the SC since then, they said I was fine. Even at about 44K they said I would be able to get more out of them and even they seemed surprised. I got them replaced at that point because I did not want to take more chances. I had SC do alignment too although it might have been cheaper elsewhere.

I always drive on low. No idea how mine lasted so long but I do regular pressure checks as I drive a lot. I'll keep checking the new tires (same as the OEMs) regularly once I hit the 20K miles again.

Me too. Although I didn't quite make it to 44,000. I could/should have... until I put a bolt through one of the fronts, at ~32,000, but I had 6/32 tread depth all around, evenly worn. Original Continentals. I've had it aligned three times. Once right after delivery (vehicle pulled to the left), and twice after two front axle swaps.

Invest in a tread depth gauge. Check the inside, middle, and outside of the tires (especially rears) every few weeks to avoid a dangerous situation.

EVs, and especially Teslas, are not kind to tires.
Speaking from experience, a depth gauge doesn't really help; you need to visually inspect the inside shoulder, at the extreme inner edge of the tire - it will wear at almost a 45 degree angle.

Look at the picture in post #36. This wear pattern is so extreme you can have near-normal readings across the tire with cords showing on the inside shoulder (BTDT).

I'd be grateful if I got 25k on my P85+'s rears. 10K is about as good as I got on a set of rear PS2's. I switched to the Falken Azenis FK510 - 95% the performance for almost 1/2 the price. Better treadwear rating, too (300 vs 220).

I really do not understand how there can be so much variation in tire wear, on cars with pretty much fixed alignment values, assuming no accident damage, and similar driving habits. I would love to have the alignment values that Josephponline posted but not sure I am ready to invest in the modifications to achieve them.

Based on my first set of OEM tires, now replaced by a second set of OEM tires, I am not expecting to get much over 25k miles on the rears, outside tread will be fine at that point, inside will be down to steel cord, all with alignment in spec. I suspect the culprit is the non adjustable rear camber, which by definition is the same on all since it is fixed, yet some get twice the mileage on their tires. I would sacrifice some reduction in handling in order to have more even tire wear but don't think I can get there without adjustable links. I guess I either pay the price in more frequent tire replacement or in the purchase of adjustable links, but still does not answer the question of why are some vehicles not experiencing this.

Reactions: Aaron14902
I really do not understand how there can be so much variation in tire wear, on cars with pretty much fixed alignment values, assuming no accident damage, and similar driving habits. I would love to have the alignment values that Josephponline posted but not sure I am ready to invest in the modifications to achieve them.

Based on my first set of OEM tires, now replaced by a second set of OEM tires, I am not expecting to get much over 25k miles on the rears, outside tread will be fine at that point, inside will be down to steel cord, all with alignment in spec. I suspect the culprit is the non adjustable rear camber, which by definition is the same on all since it is fixed, yet some get twice the mileage on their tires. I would sacrifice some reduction in handling in order to have more even tire wear but don't think I can get there without adjustable links. I guess I either pay the price in more frequent tire replacement or in the purchase of adjustable links, but still does not answer the question of why are some vehicles not experiencing this.

because alignment values are not fixed. there is a specified range. most dealers and "lifetime alignment" shops don't care and if you take the car in and it's sitting at the extremes of the range, they won't even touch it. if you hit something, your values change. if your bolts aren't torqued, they'll change.

Reactions: Aaron14902