Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Caution Model X, Hidden Tire Wear

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Perfect timing on latest posts here. TMC is such a great resource. I had never thought to check the very inside and recently ran across this thread. 'Only' 26000 miles on my 2018 MX. Just did an inspection last Thursday: split and cracked on very inside of multiple tires even though the rest of the tires had quite a bit of tread. Ordered new tires on Thursday, came out to a flat tire on Friday morning before my Friday new tire appointment. Filled it with air to get to Discount Tire: in and out in 45 minutes right at my appointment time. Replaced with the stock Continental 265/45R20 front + 275/45R20 rear tires since they seem to be a good all-around tire. Ended up driving a few hundred miles in fresh snow today so sure was nice to have new all-season tires.

So I thought I had a nail in my rear tire on my 2019 MX and the guy calls me to say I need two new rear tires as they have belt showing on the inside of both of them. I figured he was trying to jack me up since I only 38k miles on them. My first google search brought me to this thread. I guess the guy isnt lying to me and I also guess getting 38k miles on my rears is better than expected. Time to start doing some more reading on the subject.

Reactions: Jtlrwells
This is crazy. I just noticed my model X was riding a bit funny and I checked the tires and all seem to be ok (but tread was low so ordered new one’s anyway). Then I checked more thoroughly a day later and found this hiding on the inside of the rear drivers tire! You can’t even see it without getting way under the car. This is the SECOND time on my 2018 X that I have had this issue. The first time was a front tire. Either the factory tires are terrible, or I will always have to keep a good eye on these.
View attachment 649140
Need to get your car aligned at the height in which you drive. If they align the car at ‘high’ it will be out of spec at ‘low’

So I thought I had a nail in my rear tire on my 2019 MX and the guy calls me to say I need two new rear tires as they have belt showing on the inside of both of them. I figured he was trying to jack me up since I only 38k miles on them. My first google search brought me to this thread. I guess the guy isnt lying to me and I also guess getting 38k miles on my rears is better than expected. Time to start doing some more reading on the subject.
38K is great for a Model X.

Here’s the reading you need: Eliminate Inner Tire & Premature Half-Shaft Wear On Tesla X/S!

I’ve had rear blowouts twice on my 2017 MX, and Tesla says it’s “normal”. Tire shop didn’t even want to replace the rear tires until Tesla fixes the suspension, which it won’t. It’ll be the last MX I ever buy.

818A9005-AAE3-4702-8023-0128655C5BE0.jpeg

• Funny
Reactions: buckets0fun
This is a known issue on all model x and s cars running on low setting alters the rear camber causing this to happen. If you raise the car you will cause damage to the front axles. I installed adjustable camber arms on the 2018 mx to correct the camber change this eliminates the inner tire wear. There is a lot of info out there about this issue

This is a known issue on all model x and s cars running on low setting alters the rear camber causing this to happen. If you raise the car you will cause damage to the front axles. I installed adjustable camber arms on the 2018 mx to correct the camber change this eliminates the inner tire wear. There is a lot of info out there about this issue
It definitely is a known issue. But not everyone is affected. I was lucky with my 2018 100D, tire wear was perfectly even, front and rear. Was good for well over 40,000 miles with factory tires. My 2018 X had many problem, but tire wear was not one of them.

This is crazy. I just noticed my model X was riding a bit funny and I checked the tires and all seem to be ok (but tread was low so ordered new one’s anyway). Then I checked more thoroughly a day later and found this hiding on the inside of the rear drivers tire! You can’t even see it without getting way under the car. This is the SECOND time on my 2018 X that I have had this issue. The first time was a front tire. Either the factory tires are terrible, or I will always have to keep a good eye on these.
View attachment 649140
That happened to me on my '16 X running in Standard height (medium).

i have a 2022 model x plaid with 20 inch wheel and the stock mitchlin tires. car has 13,000 miles and the rear inside tires are already almost bald. The middle and outside tires are fine and the front tires are also fine. Will tesla do anything to help me under warranty?

Last edited:
On my 2016 Model X I had the rear tires inside wear until the radial belts showed and a tire blew out. On my 2019 Model X, both the front and rear tire insides wore out first. Now I have a 2023 Model X and just waiting to see what the problem is going to be. In both the previous cases, the tire life seemed to be about 15,000-18,000 miles.

I don't understand how there are this many tire blowouts and there isn't a NHTSA issue. Like nobody is reporting a blow-out to NHTSA?

Ford Explorers and Firestone tires were a disaster because those blow-outs resulted in rollovers. I guess these Model X blowouts aren't as bad?

Regardless, I feel like a blowout is not the failure condition that ends well for anybody.