Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Caution - Selecting N (Neutral) by accident - almost caused accident

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just a word of Caution and I feel Tesla should address this..

Having only 1 stock on the steering wheel Column to engage autopilot issue..

It happend to me and also to my neighbor when I let him test- drive my M3.

On a busy street, my friend wanted to try out the autopilot and by accident instead of double tapping DOWN to select Autosteer, he went UP to N (Neutral). Now here is the issue, you cant just select D (Drive) and continue..you must come to a complete STOP and press the Brake Peddal to re-select drive!

We almost got rear ended and got to practice reading sign language again..:)

Just a word of Caution...

I feel Tesla should make a software change to not allow N to be selected while the car is in motion over set speed.

Thoughts?

Just a word of Caution and I feel Tesla should address this..

Having only 1 stock on the steering wheel Column to engage autopilot issue..

It happend to me and also to my neighbor when I let him test- drive my M3.

On a busy street, my friend wanted to try out the autopilot and by accident instead of double tapping DOWN to select Autosteer, he went UP to N (Neutral). Now here is the issue, you cant just select D (Drive) and continue..you must come to a complete STOP and press the Brake Peddal to re-select drive!

We almost got rear ended and got to practice reading sign language again..:)

Just a word of Caution...

I feel Tesla should make a software change to not allow N to be selected while the car is in motion over set speed.

Thoughts?
I've done this early in Model 3 ownership...

I was able to select drive while in Neutral...

Definitely a potential problem

• Informative
Reactions: tracksyde
You definitely don't need to stop to get back into Drive, but yea this isn't the best design IMO. I also think they should change this somewhat (make it harder to go into neutral by changing it to 2 clicks instead of just 1)

Ok just went for a drive to test out this issue......

If you hold the stock up in N (Neutral) while moving above 10mph or so the car goes into Neutral. This is what appears to have happened on the test drive above to an unfamiliar driver..

Here is what I discovered and should share..there are TWO ways to get the Model 3 back into Drive

1) As the pop-up message states, you have to press COMPLETELY press the brakes. That means stopping = Dangerous (I tried just holding it down lightly and that did not work as suggested above.)

2) The PREFERRED method that I just found out was...while coasting in NEUTRAL double tap DOWN on the stock to get the car back into drive WITHOUT having to stop..

Hope this helps someone...

2) The PREFERRED method that I just found out was...while coasting in NEUTRAL double tap DOWN on the stock to get the car back into drive WITHOUT having to stop..

Yea, that's what we've been saying lol. It's not actually a double tap, just depressing the stalk to the 2nd stop and not just the first.

My main suggestion is to make it more difficult to go into Neutral by requiring pushing the stalk up to the 2nd stop and not just the first.

Reactions: bhzmark
This is one of my greatest worries. The stalk should not be in control of such a critical function.

I mentioned this in another thread way back when but when the stalk doesn't actuate/lock in place, it's like typing on a touchscreen without looking. This applies for turn signals and the drive stalk.

Reactions: cwerdna