Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Caution: supercharger wand fell from dock and damaged my car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At Rocklin supercharger today, I noticed several supercharging cables fell from the dock and just laid touching the floor. Apparently, the magnets are getting old and when windy, the connector is prone to dislodging from the dock.

After my car finished charging, I placed the connector back in the locked magnet position. Two seconds later, after I already opened my driver door, the connector drops and hits my car body, causing the slightest dent and scratches.

I bring this to the center manager's attention and ask for something to wipe/buff away the scratches. She claims the superchargers are not her responsibility and says that I will have to schedule a $97.50 service for them to attempt to clear the scratch. Honestly, I will spend my own time to detail the scratches, while reminding myself that:

1. Tesla is more interested in making money rather than helping me.
2. Tesla misses the finer details, such as properly maintaining their supercharger wands.
3. I have experienced a few premium products, and can say that Tesla's customer service is at the level of a 2-star hotel, at best.

An hour ago, I dropped by the Reno downtown supercharger, which opened a couple months ago. The supercharger magnets there definitely stick better. Either these have a new magnet or the Rocklin connector magnets have degraded noticeably.

At Rocklin supercharger today, I noticed several supercharging cables fell from the dock and just laid touching the floor. Apparently, the magnets are getting old and when windy, the connector is prone to dislodging from the dock.

After my car finished charging, I placed the connector back in the locked magnet position. Two seconds later, after I already opened my driver door, the connector drops and hits my car body, causing the slightest dent and scratches.

I bring this to the center manager's attention and ask for something to wipe/buff away the scratches. She claims the superchargers are not her responsibility and says that I will have to schedule a $97.50 service for them to attempt to clear the scratch. Honestly, I will spend my own time to detail the scratches, while reminding myself that:

2. Tesla misses the finer details, such as properly maintaining their supercharger wands.
3. I have experienced a few premium products, and can say that Tesla's customer service is at the level of a 2-star hotel, at best.

An hour ago, I dropped by the Reno downtown supercharger, which opened a couple months ago. The supercharger magnets there definitely stick better. Either these have a new magnet or the Rocklin connector magnets have degraded noticeably.

This happened to me once. As far as I can tell it is not a magnet, it is a little hook, that holds the cable.

When it happened to me, I blamed myself, not anyone else, and now I am more careful with the cable. Fortunately it did not dent my car - just scratched the light, which was able to be polished.

Back when I pumped gas, the hose would sometimes get bound up. As I pull it to get some slack, it would suddenly release, and once it hit, and dented my car.
Dumb move on my part, but I wouldn’t go to the station owner and ask them to fix my car. I wouldn’t suggest the stations don’t maintain their pumps, or their service isn’t great.
What you described sucks, but it’s definitely user error.
Attacking Tesla customer service and company values, because they won’t fix something that’s user error, also sucks.

Petty sure this was Tesla's fault too... hopefully they will buff out that car for them.

FF24179A-91BC-4844-9D36-F35AC9C80843.jpeg

There should have been where stops.

They should have provided driver education.

The posts should be more reflective.

The posts should be soft.

Petty sure this was Tesla's fault too... hopefully they will buff out that car for them.

View attachment 507773

There should have been where stops.

They should have provided driver education.

The posts should be more reflective.

The posts should be soft.

If only Tesla cars had sensors that would tell you how close you are ....

There’s no magnet holding it in place, it’s actually your fault it fell out. If you have a Tesla charger at home, you’ll see there’s a cutout at the bottom and one inside the holder that clips into it. If you managed to get it to stay without clipping it, the slightest movement (wind) will make it come out. Because superchargers are heavy it’s more difficult to clip it in there.

Also, please stop calling it the wand, thanks.

Yep... Just had the same!
Definitely think some stalls are beginning to show their age. Although I can't deny it would be classed as "User error" I do feel that Tesla should retrofit a more robust holder!
I had literally just pulled in and suffered this (See pic) hadn't even got out of the car! Fortunately I managed to have it removed from behind with no spraying!

Attachments

• 20200615_120602.jpg
    20200615_120602.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 174
They're held in by magnets? Doubtful. They lock. Magnets don't lock.

I've had amazing service from this company. Love them.

My thoughts and prayers are with you during this difficult time. Good thing there's no need for perspective with a pandemic or 20+ million unemployed Americans out there.

• Disagree
Reactions: Pemple
There’s no magnet holding it in place, it’s actually your fault it fell out. If you have a Tesla charger at home, you’ll see there’s a cutout at the bottom and one inside the holder that clips into it. If you managed to get it to stay without clipping it, the slightest movement (wind) will make it come out. Because superchargers are heavy it’s more difficult to clip it in there.

Also, please stop calling it the wand, thanks.

Too much Harry Potter.

This happened to me last night - careful out there! Definitely my fault, crazy how heavy they are and cause dents. Biggest mistake was parking about half a foot too close to charger. Scheduled “collision repair” in the app at the SC, collision being collision with the cord

This happened to me last night - careful out there! Definitely my fault, crazy how heavy they are and cause dents. Biggest mistake was parking about half a foot too close to charger. Scheduled “collision repair” in the app at the SC, collision being collision with the cord
If no paint damage, you might call around for paint less dent repair options.

• Helpful
Reactions: FrunkLover
My wife just pulled a user error on this last night except it hit the car charging adjacent to hers (not entirely sure how she accomplished this feat), and called me to ask what to do. I said do what you would want done to you, but forgot to tell her to take photos of the scratch/damage in case they aren’t exactly the most honest. Hopefully this person is merciful 😓

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
This just happened to me in Virginia, Springfield Mall supercharger. Looks like some of these cables already have excessive wear & tear, which is strange for a station that is all 250 kW.

Anyways, the charger "wand" also fell on my car, causing a scratch that *did* go through the clear. No dent, fortunately. Honestly, I'll just leave it be and then get it paint corrected by a detailer with some touch up paint once I finish paying off my car.

This just happened to me in Virginia, Springfield Mall supercharger. Looks like some of these cables already have excessive wear & tear, which is strange for a station that is all 250 kW.

Anyways, the charger "wand" also fell on my car, causing a scratch that *did* go through the clear. No dent, fortunately. Honestly, I'll just leave it be and then get it paint corrected by a detailer with some touch up paint once I finish paying off my car.
I was just at a station recently and I initially put the wand in at an angle, and although it still held, it looked very loose. I took it back out and put it back in straight and it was much more secure. I suspect you probably put the handle in at an angle.

If however, it falls out no matter what, even with a reseat, then it's true it's worn.

As for wear and tear, the age and usage rate of the station is what determines that, the 250kW has nothing to do with it. V3 was released in 2019, so it's 5 years old already, which is a long time for a charging station in terms of wear.