Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cautionary Tale FSD Computer Upgrade to 3.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
AP 2.0 cars do need a camera upgrade to work with FSD Beta. Tesla switch to RCCB cameras for AP2.5. Theoretically no Model 3 should be AP 2.0, but it's not impossible they installed RCCC cameras in older models.
Tesla starts retrofit program for cameras on older vehicles with 'Full Self-Driving'

It's also possible there are newer revisions to the cameras than those two (which also is not impossible given Tesla changes things a lot).
I was just there to see my service tech and has the right side in stock and is waiting for the left side. He told me that the cams that came with my car are not compatible so they're switching them out.

I was just there to see my service tech and has the right side in stock and is waiting for the left side. He told me that the cams that came with my car are not compatible so they're switching them out.

When they do this work, would you mind sharing the invoice when you get it (with all personal info blocked out of course)?

I think quite a few people might be interested in what partnumbers and products they put on that invoice.

Reactions: android04
When they do this work, would you mind sharing the invoice when you get it (with all personal info blocked out of course)?

I think quite a few people might be interested in what partnumbers and products they put on that invoice.
I think it might be more interesting for the OP to post the part number for the FSD computer upgrade they got, since if it's not compatible with his B-pillar cameras then it's a different revision than the FSD computer some of us got. A different revision on the B-pillar cameras may mean that Tesla updated the housing to keep them from fogging up (older ones have a patch of fabric that allows air in and is supposed to keep moisture out).

If the OP can, they should look at the old part numbers and take a picture to share with us along with the new part numbers.

• Funny
Reactions: KenC

will do. also my appt is on december 8th as they needed to get the parts. i told them i could source the parts in a day and i was told if i DIY the issue they will not cover it under warranty.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
I think it might be more interesting for the OP to post the part number for the FSD computer upgrade they got, since if it's not compatible with his B-pillar cameras then it's a different revision than the FSD computer some of us got. A different revision on the B-pillar cameras may mean that Tesla updated the housing to keep them from fogging up (older ones have a patch of fabric that allows air in and is supposed to keep moisture out).

If the OP can, they should look at the old part numbers and take a picture to share with us along with the new part numbers.

Tesla Model 3 Media Computer Control Module HW 3.0 Fused 1462554-RO-J​

TESLA MODEL 3 LHD ASY B PILLAR APPLIQUE RH 1109255-00-I (Right & Left) 1109253-00-I​

Tesla Model 3 Media Computer Control Module HW 3.0 Fused 1462554-RO-J​

TESLA MODEL 3 LHD ASY B PILLAR APPLIQUE RH 1109255-00-I (Right & Left) 1109253-00-I​

Same part number as I got for the HW 3.0 computer in early 2020. My car was made early enough that it also needed a "computer visor" that later cars had to shield it from moisture running down the windshield and causing damage. I believe there was also an adapter or modification to one of the harnesses as well, that later cars didn't need (but not sure on that one).
Screenshot_20211123-115921-771~2.png

• Informative
Perhaps yours is one of the very early models?

He told me that the cams that came with my car are not compatible so they're switching them out.

As far as the early cars incompatibility camera issue, it must be for some newer revision of the FSD computer? I have a 2017 Model 3 with a VIN in the first 2000 and I did not have to have any camera upgrades when I had the FSD computer installed when they did the retrofits. FSD Beta works fine.

Screen Shot 2021-11-23 at 12.21.45 PM.png

Same part number as I got for the HW 3.0 computer in early 2020. My car was made early enough that it also needed a "computer visor" that later cars had to shield it from moisture running down the windshield and causing damage. I believe there was also an adapter or modification to one of the harnesses as well, that later cars didn't need (but not sure on that one).
View attachment 736519
they replaced the harness as well. Thx!

On Monday, I upgraded my 2018 (which has EAP) to the new 3.0 FSD computer. I then signed up for the monthly FSD fee and watched as traffic lights lit up like Christmas trees and Stop signs appeared out of nowhere. Nice touch I thought and then...

When I picked up my car from service I immediately saw a message that stated "Autopilot Unavailable" May be restored on your next drive. Okay, no problem. Asked the Tesla Tech what was wrong as the car should just be working as they did a full service. He told me they noticed a few Model 3's from my year throwing up that message but told me to just calibrate the cameras. So, I drove around calibrating cameras and eventually reached 99% of calibration and then it...

STOPPED.

No problem, set up another appointment and they told me I'll have a visit from mobile tech on Nov 22 at 1 PM and then...

Tesla service accessed my car computer and stated the appointment will now be on December 8th if they receive my parts in time. Huh? What parts? I was totally in the dark and then...

Received another message; Cameras all need to be updated. They are replacing my cameras as the ones on my car are no doubt not compatible with the new computer install. So I figured by making the $1000 investment in the new computer I would be able to keep the value of my car up there with 2021+++. I have the following:

Enhanced Autopilot (which I did not lose by upgrading)
Autosteer (Beta - was on the car when I bought it)
Summon (Beta - was on the car when I bought it)
Autopark (Beta - was on the car when I bought it)
Navigate on Autopilot (Beta - was on the car when I bought it)
Traffic Light & Stop Sign Control ((Just Added)
Green Traffic Chime (Just Added)
Full Self-Driving Visualization Preview (Just Added)

Basically, once the cameras are replaced on the 8th I was told I have tech in the car which are in the 2021's and beyond. If I sell the car the new buyer can choose FSD and subscribe or cancel it and go with EAP (makes sense).

Now, here's where it gets interesting. My car can't navigate on Autopilot right now as Pillar B cameras are not compatible with the FSD 3.0 I had installed. I got on the highway and then to my surprise the car drove safer (in my opinion) on Autopilot with cruise control and passing then it did on EAP. The car stayed almost directly in the center lane (with blue lines on either side guiding her down the highway) then when on EAP (one blue line appearing under the middle of the car). The car actually (for the first time in months) made smoother exits on off ramps (from the exit lane) and braked smoother then on EAP. All my settings for distance and braking were never changed so I can definitely tell the difference between the two.

No charge for the cameras being installed. No charge for a new cable (as they replaced the pins on the charging point as they've been doing on all the cars) and no charge for ball joints (and whatever else goes with the joints) and no charge to place the Dual Motor designation tag which never put on the car when it first manufactured in 20018.

Moral of the story: I thought I was going to get a bit mad when told after paying the 1K I need to now wait for cameras. I then thought it through and realized I'm getting an entirely new car for a grand. I learned that simply autopilot with cruise control actually works better than what I had (EAP) and that my driving score of 93 no longer makes a difference as once the new cameras are in my FSD is activated and works 100%. Whether I get future updated for "Kudo's Safety Driving" I really don't care and I don't think anyone else should care.

Happy Holidays.
Thanks @USCGDAV
I have EAP too and am thinking of getting FSD on subscription. My question to you is do you lose EAP features if you decide to cancel your FSD subscription for a few months??

Thanks @USCGDAV
I have EAP too and am thinking of getting FSD on subscription. My question to you is do you lose EAP features if you decide to cancel your FSD subscription for a few months??
No, you keep EAP as you had already paid for it. Activate FSD and you pay $99.00 per month on the subscription. Here's a few words of caution. My original post is November 20th and as of Thursday this week my car now works 100%. After the new computer went in it put up error messages that it could not activate autopilot cameras so they had to come out and they replaced ALL of the cameras. Then a few days later the same message popped up again. This time they replaced the new computer with another new computer. Few days later same problem again. They put a new computer in for the last two new computers and it took 24 hours of firmware downloads to get it to connect and it ALL works! Except, I drove out of service and the radio would no longer work. Turned around, went back and they had to reset the new computer ONE more time. Now it ALL FINALLY works! One word of caution. If you want to use FSD you need to have a decent Beta Score. Every service technician who took this car for a test drive did everything they could possibly do to send my score from 99 into the gutter to a score of 7 (yes, SEVEN). So I paid $99.00 per month for 2 months and have never seen the light of day of FSD :) My service tech then said come on back. They took everything apart, reset the computer and the score began a new at 95 as the test drive by the last technician took a hard brake in the Tesla garage and had a collision warning as he stopped short of hitting another Tesla in the very same garage. Yes, I now have every possible option in this car but I've yet to see any fruit from the tree of Tesla FSD Life :)

• Informative
Reactions: android04 and KenC
No, you keep EAP as you had already paid for it. Activate FSD and you pay $99.00 per month on the subscription. Here's a few words of caution. My original post is November 20th and as of Thursday this week my car now works 100%. After the new computer went in it put up error messages that it could not activate autopilot cameras so they had to come out and they replaced ALL of the cameras. Then a few days later the same message popped up again. This time they replaced the new computer with another new computer. Few days later same problem again. They put a new computer in for the last two new computers and it took 24 hours of firmware downloads to get it to connect and it ALL works! Except, I drove out of service and the radio would no longer work. Turned around, went back and they had to reset the new computer ONE more time. Now it ALL FINALLY works! One word of caution. If you want to use FSD you need to have a decent Beta Score. Every service technician who took this car for a test drive did everything they could possibly do to send my score from 99 into the gutter to a score of 7 (yes, SEVEN). So I paid $99.00 per month for 2 months and have never seen the light of day of FSD :) My service tech then said come on back. They took everything apart, reset the computer and the score began a new at 95 as the test drive by the last technician took a hard brake in the Tesla garage and had a collision warning as he stopped short of hitting another Tesla in the very same garage. Yes, I now have every possible option in this car but I've yet to see any fruit from the tree of Tesla FSD Life :)

All FSD is not "FSD Beta", so yes, you actually have had FSD, just not FSD beta.

Reactions: trojaneen
My vin is very close to the OP relatively speaking (OPs is 118XXX, Mine is 106XXX) and the "born on" date of my car is Nov 15th 2018. That isnt printed anywhere but I found out that information back when I was buying it. My build date on the door is "Nov 2018". As you said, vins are not sequential, but they are mostly sequential. Its a good bet that OPs build date on the door is Nov 2018, or possibly Dec (maybe 1st week of Dec).
Sure it is, it's on the door, well the month and year are anyway:

Door Sticker.jpg

It's also on the monroney:

Sticker.JPG

• Informative
Sure it is, it's on the door, well the month and year are anyway:

View attachment 751199

It's also on the monroney:

View attachment 751200

If you read what I posted, I gave the exact DAY my car was made, not month. The exact day is not printed anywhere, as I said (neither the door jam nor monroney).

I also said: "My cars build date is Nov 2018" which means whats printed on my door jam (and monroney) is 11/18. No where is the DAY listed, unless you have some information to where that is printed somewhere different than what you posted.

So, no, the DAY is not listed anywhere.

If you read what I posted, I gave the exact DAY my car was made, not month. The exact day is not printed anywhere, as I said (neither the door jam nor monroney).

I also said: "My cars build date is Nov 2018" which means whats printed on my door jam (and monroney) is 11/18. No where is the DAY listed, unless you have some information to where that is printed somewhere different than what you posted.

So, no, the DAY is not listed anywhere.
Whatever..... 🤪

At times there are many know it alls on this site but I remind those who think they are smarter than the average bear, each owner can have very different experiences in all areas as there are no set standards set forth by Tesla. It took two months for them to simply figure out that they couldn't figure anything out with my car other than put in 3 new computers, new cameras, firmware up the ass and they were still lost. For a car that doesn't have many moving parts (one would think at times) they wing it as go along.