Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cautionary Tale FSD Computer Upgrade to 3.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, everything is now working fine but I have a 98 score and still no beta. Paid two months for the FSD and will cancel this week if nothing happens as I still have EAP and will just use that.
Yah I’m in the exact same boat. But I’m just on my 2nd week. Hope I get to try it soon else I’ll cancel too since I have EAP. What I wonder though is that if we do get FSD approved and then we cancel our subscription for a few months, and then reactivate; now do we have to jump through the safety score hoop all over again? Coz it can take 1 or 2 months each time!

Probably. Who knows and at some point you'll get those who say who cares. I've got a car with everything one could imagine and I upgraded the computer to bring up the value of my car (down the line). As a result they replaced all the cameras, replaced the computers 3 times and gave me back a 2022 :) EAP is just fine and quite frankly even once approved turning around city streets (while holding your breath) would eventually be hum-drum. It's all about the scoring game right now but I only have so much patience to hang around waiting for something I'm paying for but not getting.

I own a 2018 Model 3 LR RW with EAP. I was not happy with the erratic behavior of using EAP on the highway (jerky lane changes, phantom breaking, attempts to cross lanes when lane lines widened - especially for exits - etc.). So I decided to upgrade from 2.5 to 3.0 hardware for $1,000. The upgrade experience was a disaster. The upgrade service was attempted on two different days - 2 weeks apart - at my home and failed both times. The second attempt "killed" my Tesla and it had to be towed to the local service center (so dead I was unable to open doors or close the windows). I finally got the car back at about 6pm the next day. I thought that this would be a simple replacement/upgrade, but I was wrong. They didn't even tell me that all my personal profiles, mobile phone pairing, music and streaming logins and Homelink setup would be wiped out! What's also curious is if I had chosen to buy FSD for $6,000 then that would have included the 3.0 upgrade. Therefore, I expected the new price to purchase FSD would have dropped by the $1,000 I paid for just the 3.0 hardware upgrade. But the FSD price has not changed. They don't tell you that either, which I feel is unfair.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
I own a 2018 Model 3 LR RW with EAP. I was not happy with the erratic behavior of using EAP on the highway (jerky lane changes, phantom breaking, attempts to cross lanes when lane lines widened - especially for exits - etc.). So I decided to upgrade from 2.5 to 3.0 hardware for $1,000. The upgrade experience was a disaster. The upgrade service was attempted on two different days - 2 weeks apart - at my home and failed both times. The second attempt "killed" my Tesla and it had to be towed to the local service center (so dead I was unable to open doors or close the windows). I finally got the car back at about 6pm the next day. I thought that this would be a simple replacement/upgrade, but I was wrong. They didn't even tell me that all my personal profiles, mobile phone pairing, music and streaming logins and Homelink setup would be wiped out! What's also curious is if I had chosen to buy FSD for $6,000 then that would have included the 3.0 upgrade. Therefore, I expected the new price to purchase FSD would have dropped by the $1,000 I paid for just the 3.0 hardware upgrade. But the FSD price has not changed. They don't tell you that either, which I feel is unfair.
Sorry to hear that Tom. Has HW3 improved your Navigate on AP experience? or is it still the same issues as before?