Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cautionary tips for new drivers of the Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes it does -- some you can turn off (thankfully), and others you can't.
The brake lights come on right away when regen braking. The MY has audible tones all around when close to objects.

Thanks, maybe I misunderstood what this meant "when backing out be very cautious Other new automobiles have radar with audible tones that you may have easily relied on", figured he meant there was no audible tones on the car which seemed weird, even for a Tesla.

Reactions: bobbyjae
I *believe* the brake lights go on in regen braking when you go over a certain force, in Gs. I don't know the exact value. I don't believe the lights should come on for a very light slowdown, like you can use engine compression on an ICE car without the lights coming on. The car image on the screen will show the when the brake lights are on.
Correct as per the manual I quoted in post #12, brake lights come on only "...if regenerative braking is aggressively slowing..."

Reactions: MikeR99 and GtiMart
I dont find the steering much different than all the BMWs I have had over the years either, with the exception that on those, if possible I put them in sport steering, and on my model 3P i use "regular" instead of sport steering and it feels the same as my wifes BMW with sport steering enabled.
I think the variable assist could use some tweaking. I think the variable assist weighting is perfect on my BMW and Infiniti. On the Tesla in Sport Mode, I find that when driving slow, the assist is on the heavy side, but when you are driving faster, the assist is much too light. I don't even bother with comfort or normal mode on the Tesla. They are way too light for me.

I find turning radius of the Y a bit lacking when making U turns. The BMWs and MBZs actually have the front wheels turn in/out at an angle on full lock turns to provide better maneuvering capability.
I noticed this as well... I can make MUCH tighter U turns in my Infinitis than my Y. It's not too terrible, but there were definitely places I have to make U-turns, where I have to be really careful in the Y, but never had to care in my other cars.

I noticed this as well... I can make MUCH tighter U turns in my Infinitis than my Y. It's not too terrible, but there were definitely places I have to make U-turns, where I have to be really careful in the Y, but never had to care in my other cars.
I've noticed wide turns backing in to parking spaces as well. You would think the turning radius is tighter than it is.

We have had the model Y for two months now. all of my concerns that I've inquired about over the past year have proven to not be a problem. I thank everyone that has responded to my questions and concerns here on this forum. Here are a few observations I've made that may provide some safety to your driving as it is very different.

1. Use the turn signal every time without exception whether anyone is around or not. Establish a solid habit for all lane changes and even pulling out of your own driveway. Turn signal indication is necessary for Tesla's idea of blind spot monitoring to work.
2. Always look in the side mirror before changing lanes. Other recent automobiles have audible tones that you may have easily relied on. first look in the cabins rear view mirrors for fast approaching autos (you may be going 60 mph they may be going 80). next look in your properly adjusted side mirrors. (
) While returning your eye to what's in front of you quickly glance at the screen, if there is a red car in the lane your changing into there is a car there.
3. when you stop at a light be careful that your foot is not ever so lightly on the gas pedal. You may be unaware that you are ever so slowly rolling into the car infant of you. get foot off the pedal and listen for the click if in hold "mode".
4. If you use the "traffic aware cruise control" part of auto pilot on a slower road like a parkway around 45 mph be aware that when you disengage it you will abruptly stop. The slower you are going the more abruptly you will stop and the person behind you will not be prepared for that, So when disengaging get back on the throttle quickly so that you do nonstop abruptly.
5. don't turn off of a thoroughfare abruptly as this will result in irritated horn honks or worse from the vehicle behind you. I do not know how quickly or when or if the brake light comes on in regenerative braking. Its best to bypass the turn and go around. After seeing where the store entrance is just pass it up and come to it again but slower.
6. when backing out be very cautious Other new automobiles have radar with audible tones that you may have easily relied on. Use the screen and be sure you are actually looking and paying attention to the image on the screen. While the screen has excellent clarity and wide angle it is easy to be thinking about something else.
7. Be careful about moving around or reaching for things while driving. The the steering gear ratio is 20 to 1, not 30 to 1 like the car you are used to driving. you can easily be in the other lane before you know it.
8. Set the camera to record on "honk" and test it out. You WILL have a situation where a crazy will cut you off in your lane or whatever other situation and it is nice to see what actually happened later.
I know this is an old post but I just discovered it - having received delivery of my first Tesla (M3LR) about 6 weeks ago (December 2021). Very good post and good advice - appreciated. Loving the car and trying to read as much as possible. Appreciate the community here especially.

Reactions: HellsKitchen
When using regen it is also the decelerator pedal. :cool:
Oh well if we're going to be pedantic, it's still acceleration, just with the opposite sign. Relativistically speaking, there's no such thing as deceleration.

*pushes glasses up nose*

*nearly crashes into a tree due to accelerating the wrong direction*

Okay fine, since we all know what it means...