Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CAV Decal 2020

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can you only get one sticker per vehicle? You can’t pay for a replacement sticker when your current one expires?

Once a sticker has been assigned to your VIN, it's done. No more (you can get a replacement but it will expire at the same time as the original). This means that you (or anyone you sell it to) will not be getting a new sticker if you already have one.

Reactions: cwerdna
^^^
The only exception that I'm aware of is California aims to get less affluent plug-in drivers into carpool lanes. It will help almost nobody here and certainly won't help me so I've never looked into the details.
In 2020 the state will go even further to advance this social equity ideal, under a new law that Gov. Jerry Brown signed last week. Legislators will extend the carpool lane perk to low-income people buying used cars with expired stickers. To qualify, the driver’s household income must be 80 percent of the state median, or lower.

California’s median household income in 2016 was $63,783, according to the U.S. census, and 80 percent of that is about $51,000.

In essence, a wealthier person will be able to sell an electric or hybrid car to a lower-income individual, and then buy a new one.

The law’s author, Democratic state Sen. Ricardo Lara of Bell Gardens, said he wanted to help a new class of super-commuters — teachers, janitors and others — who despair of finding affordable housing near their jobs.

god, i hate Cali... my commute is ****ing 1.5+ hours each way. Help me find affordable housing near my job downtown.

and I bet it's only 15 miles, lol. you're not going to find anything decent and safe downtown that is affordable.

apartments_760507.jpg

:p

i'm also waiting until next year for extended HOV time frame and hopefully better sticker color.

hehe slightly longer than (THAT / below )15 miles commute...I really can't afford much over there :)

1 h 26 min (16.9 miles)
via I-10 E

Fastest route, despite slowdowns causing 1-hr 4-min dela

but ya. I bought my house already but since I didn't quote in my original post, I was referring to this from cwerdna's post. :)

"
The law’s author, Democratic state Sen. Ricardo Lara of Bell Gardens, said he wanted to help a new class of super-commuters — teachers, janitors and others — who despair of finding affordable housing near their jobs."

I am planning to submit my application the 2nd week of Dec to make sure I get a 2020 sticker. The color should be announced next week based on last year’s announcement timing. Orange? Blue? Pink?

I am planning to do the same. But still haven’t been able to find solid info if they use the date of application, or the date that they receive it? Anyone know which it is?

the color will change. the multi years sticker was early in the program ( with different color having different requirement and overlapping expiration which they sorted out for the late years with extension via red.) and the current time frame / sticker color have a standardized qualitifcation and has a clear program scheduling with a clear ending date.
Current Clean Air Vehicle Decal | California Air Resources Board

specifically, it states that after january, the color is to be determined and that it will expired jan1, 2024 where for purple, it specifically states it will be valid only till jan 1 2023.

so it seems to me that the last decal color (jan 2022 and later) will be issue for multiple years all with less than 4 years of validity., ie, issue if you apply 2022, 2023 2024 and will all expire regardless in sep 2025 which mean eve if you get it jan1 2022, you will have 3 years 9 months of usage vs prior which is jan1 of the 4th years. and if you apply in june 2024 you will only get the usage for 15 months.

CAV Decals Issued on

Will be Valid Until

Decal Color

January 1, 2019 - December 31, 2019

January 1, 2023

Purple
January 1, 2020 or after to a vehicle that did not previously have a decal

January 1st of the fourth year of issue. For example, a decal issued on June 24, 2020 would expire on January 1, 2024

To be determined by DMV
January 1, 2022 or later

All decals expire on September 30, 2025

To be determined by DMV

Ca does not issue new color stickers every year.
True until they started doing red then purple stickers and as yet to be determined future sticker colors.
The colors usually roll over for several years before a newer version is released.
Highly unlikely. See Clean Air Vehicle Decals - High Occupancy Vehicle Lane Usage re: where we stand now and the URL below.
Waiting for 2020 may not get you additional years of eligibility.
Nope. See Current Clean Air Vehicle Decal | California Air Resources Board that was already pointed to.

Last edited:
I just got my plates so I've been looking into this as well. They way I read the CAV site, it is based on when the decal is "issued" not when you apply. So it depends on how long it takes for them to process applications. I'm planning to submit late Dec to be safe. I've been reading some people have been getting decals in a week recently so I worry if I apply now, I'll get a purple sticker and miss out on a year...

I just got my plates so I've been looking into this as well. They way I read the CAV site, it is based on when the decal is "issued" not when you apply. So it depends on how long it takes for them to process applications. I'm planning to submit late Dec to be safe. I've been reading some people have been getting decals in a week recently so I worry if I apply now, I'll get a purple sticker and miss out on a year...

I would just wait until first week of January. You never know if some bored interns decided to work off their holiday meals and process your application before the new year!

When I bought my car in 2018 and got my plates, and got my PPF/ceramic installed it was close to the end of the year and I just waited as well to grab the sticker that would expire the year later by filing in January. Really didn't want to chance losing that priviledge should it be processed in December with current sticker mailed out. Figured what's waiting one or two months compared to gaining a whole year.

I was actually surprised to read this thread and see that California is planning for at least two subsequent releases. As you know from being in the SF Bay area, they are modifying the HOV lanes and figured this HOV sticker program would end sooner than that. They'd rather have the toll money I think than our $20 fees or whatever they charge these days.