Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CAV Decal 2020

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
the form, reg1000, looks the same. it does not look like it changed from last year.

so, are we all done with our fears about waiting until jan-01 to send this in? ;)

There is a minor revision. The middle section with the check boxes for the 2019 form has ZEV/EV etc etc. where as the 2020 does not I believe. Now the question is, if people sent the 2019 form for the 2020 decal, will it still be accepted. I would assume yes?

Yes, I knew about the ability for low income folks to get a new HOV sticker on qualifying cars (not just Teslas) with expired HOV stickers (and normally cannot be re-issued) awhile ago.

California aims to get less affluent plug-in drivers into carpool lanes
The below have both been updated to include orange stickers for 2020 along with links to/some details about the low income program.

Clean Air Vehicle Decals - High Occupancy Vehicle Lane Usage
Current Clean Air Vehicle Decal | California Air Resources Board

Low-Income (IB) Clean Air Vehicle (CAV) Decal Program
The Low-Income (IB) Clean Air Vehicle (CAV) decal program may allow a new vehicle owner of a used vehicle that was previously issued a CAV decal prior to January 1, 2017, to be issued a CAV decal, valid until January 1, 2024, if the new owner meets the following criteria:
  • The new, current registered owner is NOT the owner of the vehicle when the decals issued prior to January 2017, expired;
  • The applicant’s total annual household income is at or below $65,777 (this amount is subject to change).
    • Total Annual Household Income requires the disclosure of the annual income of all members of the household, age 17 and older, who reside together and share common living expenses regardless if they are related.
  • The new registered owner name(s) matches DMV records.
See the Income-Based Clean Air Vehicle Decal Program (REG 1000 IB) form for additional information.

I have just decided to mail out on 1/2/20 to be safe. Anyways, to those who have already sent, the only things we are sending is filled/signed application and $22 check right? I read through the instructions few times, but couldn't see anywhere to include registration copy or any other paperwork.. Just wanted to double check. Thanks!

Wow - That's fast !!! I sent mine in on the same day (1/2/2019) and my check wasn't cashed until maybe March. I guess mine must have been buried at the bottom of the pile !!

There were 4 people at my work sending in the form 1/2/2019 (we all got AWD M3 in 2018). I was the first one getting the decals. One coworker's check never got cashed. He kept calling and they just told him to wait because there was a backlog. Finally he has to send another check and got his decal in the summer. So March is not bad LOL.

I'm sending mine in 'certified mail'. I think its been recommended to do that (?)

It's not like paying taxes... if they lost the check/app form, they lost the check and app form. There is nothing you could do other than sending in another one even if you have proof of delivery. My coworker used delivery confirmation and I can hear him talking to the guy at DMV telling them they have his check on such and such date. It doesn't matter.

There were 4 people at my work sending in the form 1/2/2019 (we all got AWD M3 in 2018). I was the first one getting the decals. One coworker's check never got cashed. He kept calling and they just told him to wait because there was a backlog. Finally he has to send another check and got his decal in the summer. So March is not bad LOL.

What I thought was funny, was I live about 9 miles from the PO Box where the CAV applications are sent and I mistakenly thought I would get it faster. Live and learn !!! As a former USPS letter carrier and state employee, I should have known better though.... I know there is no priority and the mail is just opened from the bulk mail bags and dumped into bins. I'll chalk it up to another senior moment on my part...

BTW - Have a Happy New Year !!!

Isn't that good? If they cash it on the 15th or something, you would have gotten the lavender decal for 1 less year. I thought I read someone contacted DMV and they told him they are holding on to all applications until 2020. I sent my application in for the lavender one 1/2/2019 and the check was cashed around 1/15.

Yes, I was counting on the state to take a while to get it done. Of course I don't know if they received it either LOL