Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CAV Decal 2020

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Called in to check on license/registration status, happened to ask about next year's color - the rep said its going to be orange

I now have a reason to drive this again!

orange.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: AZjohnInCA
Called in to check on license/registration status, happened to ask about next year's color - the rep said its going to be orange

There are rumors that both decals and rebate will now be income limited in 2020. Did they mention that? I was at the DMV for RealIDs today and the person was in 'cannot confirm nor deny' mode...which paranoia couples it to why the new color/details have not been announced, even tho previous years its been out by now.

I know some who got purple stickers sending them in late Dec 2018 and not the then current Red. I suspect hedging sending it on a 2019 form postmarked before 2020 would allow you to get purple stickers if the 2020 decals are income limited, and if not get orange by process date (hopefully).

DMV Spotlights More New California Laws, REAL ID Deadline - SCVNews.com

According to this website,

"New Color for Clean Air Vehicle Decals (AB 544, Bloom – 2017):
As previously announced, AB 544 created a new program to grant low-emission vehicles and transitional zero-emission vehicles access to high-occupancy vehicle (HOV) lanes for an approximate four-year period, regardless of the vehicle occupancy level. The DMV will issue orange decals in 2020 that grant access to HOV lanes until January 1, 2024."

And:

"Clean Air Vehicle Decals for Low-Income Californians (SB 957, Lara – 2018):
Allows certain used vehicles that were previously issued a green or white clean air vehicle decal to receive another clean air vehicle decal, granting access to high occupancy vehicle lanes until January 1, 2024. To qualify, the vehicle must have a new owner whose income is 80 percent or less than the statewide median income."

So it is for used teslas which have existing stickers to get new stickers.

80% income is:

"The ACS 1-year survey shows that the median family income for California was $82,009 in 2017."

Now, how many Californians with about 80-90k x 80% = 70K income could afford Model X?

If sticker insurance is tied to this 80% income, it could kill MX sales.

Last edited:
I know some who got purple stickers sending them in late Dec 2018 and not the then current Red. I suspect hedging sending it on a 2019 form postmarked before 2020 would allow you to get purple stickers if the 2020 decals are income limited, and if not get orange by process date (hopefully).
I on the other hand know others that mailed their forms in late Nov 2018 and got the 2019 stickers.

When I mailed my form in yesterday I read all online literature. All “date” statements used the term “date processed” in many places and not once did I read that it goes by “date on postage stamp”.

im not saying I know for sure but, I really think. the “year date” for the stickers will go from the dates the apps are processed.

I guess we both will found out next month:)

Have you guys sent the application for 2020 decals yet? I was thinking of sending it right after new year, just to be safe..

I bought my car just a few months ago, but have been holding out for the 2020 decals.

we can all wait until jan-1 before mailing them in. why not wait? it *should* be via the process date, but why chance losing most of a year? I'm going to wait until the clock ticks past 2020 before I mail mine in.

DMV Spotlights More New California Laws, REAL ID Deadline - SCVNews.com

"Clean Air Vehicle Decals for Low-Income Californians (SB 957, Lara – 2018):
Allows certain used vehicles that were previously issued a green or white clean air vehicle decal to receive another clean air vehicle decal, granting access to high occupancy vehicle lanes until January 1, 2024. To qualify, the vehicle must have a new owner whose income is 80 percent or less than the statewide median income."

So it is for used teslas which have existing stickers to get new stickers.
that is for USED cars. I see no changes (ianal) for income in orange stickers, at least by that article.
Yes, I knew about the ability for low income folks to get a new HOV sticker on qualifying cars (not just Teslas) with expired HOV stickers (and normally cannot be re-issued) awhile ago.

California aims to get less affluent plug-in drivers into carpool lanes

Last edited:
I bought my car just a few months ago, but have been holding out for the 2020 decals.

we can all wait until jan-1 before mailing them in. why not wait? it *should* be via the process date, but why chance losing most of a year? I'm going to wait until the clock ticks past 2020 before I mail mine in.

If the new rule says: if you make too much money then you don't have stickers, however because this rule comes into play after Jan 1, so whoever mailed in before that got grandfathered then it makes sense to mail it in now.

*where* is this supposed 'you make too much money, so no sticker for you!' rule?

there would be a proposal to a change of law, would there not? can you find any citation for that?

I am aware that there is a choice you currently make between getting the sticker AND a cash incentive; you can get both if you qualify or you can get JUST the sticker. for me, I would not qualify for both and would only get the sticker. I can't imagine they'd nix the sticker based on income, and I think that's what you are suggesting could be possible.

think about it: SO MANY of the stickers have been held by premium-priced EV owners and those are pretty much *only* affordable by the well-heeled. to eliminate that class of buyer would not fly well, imho.

*where* is this supposed 'you make too much money, so no sticker for you!' rule?

there would be a proposal to a change of law, would there not? can you find any citation for that?

I am aware that there is a choice you currently make between getting the sticker AND a cash incentive; you can get both if you qualify or you can get JUST the sticker. for me, I would not qualify for both and would only get the sticker. I can't imagine they'd nix the sticker based on income, and I think that's what you are suggesting could be possible.

think about it: SO MANY of the stickers have been held by premium-priced EV owners and those are pretty much *only* affordable by the well-heeled. to eliminate that class of buyer would not fly well, imho.

We live in the People's Republic of Kalifornia which is more communism than Cuba. Anything is possible here.

Not updating the color and requirements, etc., til Jan 1st is so fishy. I will send in the application today with a tracking number.

We live in the People's Republic of Kalifornia which is more communism than Cuba. Anything is possible here.

Not updating the color and requirements, etc., til Jan 1st is so fishy. I will send in the application today with a tracking number.

"Not updating the color and requirements, etc., til Jan 1st is so fishy. I will send in the application today with a tracking number"
I concur, extremely suspect. I'm sending my envelope—(application + check) tomorrow 12/26/19 via USPS mail. I feel like they're going to change the way we file the application or something. Why have the color in mind and not update the website before 01/01/2020.

"Not updating the color and requirements, etc., til Jan 1st is so fishy. I will send in the application today with a tracking number"
I concur, extremely suspect. I'm sending my envelope—(application + check) tomorrow 12/26/19 via USPS mail. I feel like they're going to change the way we file the application or something. Why have the color in mind and not update the website before 01/01/2020.
The DMV may simply be overloaded. When I recently got my driver license renewed, one of the DMV workers told me that it's currently "all hands on deck" to handle the Real ID rush.